Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mallwave: nostalgic synth music for imaginary and abandoned shopping centers

BCE
Mallwave: nostalgic synth music for imaginary and abandoned shopping centers
March 16, 2019 12:32PM
So this is a thing now....

[boingboing.net]
Bip
Re: Mallwave: nostalgic synth music for imaginary and abandoned shopping centers
March 16, 2019 08:32PM
I’m glad you posted this, it’s really kind of interesting. Young people with synths trying to create what they believe is the sound of malls in their 80s heyday, and also that sense of melencholy for an abandoned space that was once vivrant....feeling a “nostalgia for a past you’ve never known”.

I love the notion of malls, and am fully aware most people hate them and that everywhere they’re dying. I would love to walk through a mall circa 1981-1985 right now, just to see what it was really like, to see if my memory is correct. I think I tend to romanticize the past, and maybe things weren’t really so terrific (tubular?) back then.

I assume everyone here was a teen in the 80s like me, but maybe some of you weren’t born until much later. If that’s the case and I had to direct you to an accurate portrait of the time, I always felt ‘Freaks and Geeks’ captured my early 80s life most closely.
March 17, 2019 05:00PM
This is an interesting phenomena on a musical level, but as an '80s kid (a Valley dude, no less), I have zero nostalgia for malls. Never liked 'em. i could ride my bike a mile away to see Black Flag for 6 bucks at an all ages venue, so why the hell would I waste my time in soul-deadening palaces of meaningless consumerism like a shopping mall? They never seemed to sell anything i was interested in, even the record shops. I wonder if the vapourwave kids are familiar with the original mall-as-capitalist-critique, Romero's "Dawn of the Dead"?
March 19, 2019 01:11PM
I definitely would take a mall over a Walmart any day. But I was lucky to live in a the world capital that is Ottawa during my peek late-teen record-buying years in the 1980s, so we actually had a couple of decent independent record stores downtown (neither of which still exists today).

Ironically, the only two stores I frequent today are both in malls.
March 18, 2019 02:01PM
The good record stores were never in the malls, so I did not frequent them much...
March 18, 2019 05:35PM
Agreed. I can think of only one record store in a mall that I used to frequent -- and that simply was because it was the closest to my house. Mall record stores always could be counted upon for the weakest selection at the highest prices.

March 18, 2019 05:58PM
Interesting. One of the reasons I enjoy listening to Boards of Canada is that nostalgia feel the music gives me. Several of their songs, especially on Music has the Right, really have a throwback element that catches you off guard. It is crazy how our minds remember pictures, scenes etc. that for whatever reason music makes come out. I mean this did not even come out when I was in my teens but it makes me think of the late 70's and 80's, born 1967. Not so much malls but riding bikes, Evel Knievel, family trips, film strips in class etc. Ironically I guess the band name comes from old government funded films so I assume their nostalgic vibe was certainly intended. Not for everyone though.

For sure on the record stores, my favorite growing up was called Dingleberry's south of Dayton Oh. I had to settle for the chain Camelot in our local mall in my hometown, which BTW is dang near dead, the mall that is. Camelot was honestly not all that bad for what it was.
March 19, 2019 02:37AM
I'm not exactly defending malls or their record stores, but they seem benign next to the takeover of Middle America - and the area around my hometown - by Wal-Mart. At least there was an independent record store in the now-defunct mall in my hometown for a time. I had some really formative and positive experiences in mall record stores as a teenager: buying Pere Ubu's TERMINAL TOWER in Nova Scotia on a vacation with my parents when I was 14, and having a store nearby that carried every new release on indie labels like SST, 4AD, Touch & Go and Homestead and a bin of cut-out cassettes for $3.99 that included albums by the Ramones, MC5, Brian Eno, Roxy Music and the Kinks.
March 19, 2019 01:14PM
At least the mall store I mentioned above -- Big Apple Tapes & Records -- was owned/run by a knowledgeable guy. The store included an import section, a pretty robust special-order system, and even a listen-before-you-buy turntable station. The owner, Randy "Red" Perry, also played in local bands and later became a very popular local radio DJ. Gone way too soon, though ... rest in peace, Red.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login