Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Joe Strummer 01

Joe Strummer 01
March 15, 2019 03:27AM
Finally got around to buying that odds and ends comp from last year and it's pretty awesome. It's just really great to be reminded what a restless musical soul Strummer was. This shit is all over the map, and it's almost all great.

One of the songs that jumps out at me most is the unreleased track he and Mick Jones did in 1986, US North: [www.youtube.com]. I guess it dates from the "Number 10, Upping Street" era of BAD, which I never owned, but may hafta go buy now on the strength of this song. Shoulda been a hit, which makes it all the more astonishing it never got released.

Hard to believe it's been 17 years since he passed.
March 15, 2019 03:30AM
Also, I had to go back and find Paganizer's post from, like, 15 years ago to remind myself how to insert a hotlink. Paganizer: the gift that keeps on giving!
zoo
March 15, 2019 02:35PM
That's a really nice song. Very typical of the early BAD sound, especially No. 10 Upping Street due to the inclusion of Strummer. That album and the follow up (Tighten Up Vol. 88) are my favorites of theirs, so I'd recommend it as well if you haven't heard it and like the general sound (with or without Strummer).
zoo
March 15, 2019 03:19PM
And while we're on the subject....This might be old news to most if not all of you, but I just learned recently about the "lost" Clash album, Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg, which was really just the original mix of Combat Rock. It's on YouTube, of course, for anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9b_S9dw_I

Some really cool stuff, IMO. There's plenty of info on the web about the album if you want to read more about it.
March 16, 2019 01:10AM
I prefer the 7-minute version of "Rock the Casbah," with congas and synthesizer, to the COMBAT ROCK one. Much of RAT PATROL FROM FORT BRAGG sounds like a remix of COMBAT ROCK and points the way towards Big Audio Dynamite.
March 15, 2019 05:26PM
Damn, just read about "Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg" and it sounds great. i was a disappointed with "Combat Rock," but sound like I would have loved this.
March 17, 2019 05:12PM
I picked up the double-LP bootleg of "Rat Patrol" last summer and highly recommend it--it's definitely the version of "Combat Rock" that should have seen the light of day (https://www.discogs.com/The-Clash-Rat-Patrol-From-Fort-Bragg/release/4682629).

Also, FWIW, here's the review I wrote of "Joe Strummer 001" in October: [duffguidetoska.blogspot.com].

zoo
March 18, 2019 11:49AM
Familyman, how is the sound quality? The one I listened to on YouTube is quite spotty in parts.
March 18, 2019 12:58PM
Zoo, most of the album proper is pretty good (better than I expected), though the "Rock the Casbah" remix with The Beat's Ranking Roger is rough (it's a shame that they never polished this one up and released it).

If you can find it for a reasonable amount, it's a good addition to your Clash collection.
March 18, 2019 09:42PM
Might as well throw the Vanilla Tapes in with Rat Patrol as another Clash curio.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login