RIP Sara Romweber
March 05, 2019 01:55PM
Drummer for Let's Active, Snatches of Pink and her brother's Dex Romweber Duo. One of the best rock & roll drummers I've ever seen.
Re: RIP Sara Romweber
March 05, 2019 08:37PM
Terribly sad about this. Such a great drummer, and way too young.
March 06, 2019 01:10AM

Terribly sad about this. Such a great drummer, and way too young.

55 seems practically adolescent.

For comparison's sake, Mick Jagger hit 55 back in July of 1998. That was over 20 years ago.

Post Edited (03-05-19 21:15)
March 06, 2019 11:12AM
I was not able to find any mention of this other than here yesterday. Is it possible that the deceased is Dr. Sara Romweber? Dex and Sara's mother?

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
March 06, 2019 11:16AM
[after checking today] Nope, damnit.

[postpunkmonk.com]
March 06, 2019 12:29PM
I wondered the same thing at first - all the notices about her death were coming off Facebook. But when I started seeing posts from folks that were mutual friends (mainly N.C. writers and musicians), I knew it was true. Then the actual news items starting coming out.

I have the same love/hate relationship with FB as everyone else, but I was happy (if that's the right term) to see so much love pouring out for her there. It makes me wish I'd known her.
March 06, 2019 03:36PM
I was very sad to hear this. I saw Let's Active a few times back in the late 80s, but it was after she'd left the band, so I never saw her perform (though, as I think about it now, did I actually see Snatches of Pink at some point?). She was a really good drummer, and when "Big Plans For Everybody" came out, I was convinced she had anonymously done the uncredited drum parts (i.e., not the Eric Marshall or Rob Ladd songs). Turns out Mitch was just actually a pretty good drummer too. RIP Sara.
March 06, 2019 05:12PM
I got to Let's Active long after they were a going concern, but I greatly enjoy my CDs and LPs and the drumming was a big part of their appeal. May she rest in peace.
March 08, 2019 01:53AM
Jon Wurster’s Facebook post was particularly moving.

In addition to her playing on the first two Let’s Active records and with Dex, let’s not forget (as Michael T. mentioned) the three Snatches Of Pink LPs (Send in the Clowns -'87, Dead Men - '88, and Bent with Pray - '92), as well as the subsequent two Clarissa records (Silver - '96, and Blood and Commons - '97) -- which featured the same SoP trio of Sara, Michael Rank, and Andy McMillan playing under a more G-rated name.

Post Edited (03-08-19 08:51)
March 08, 2019 12:43PM
I saw Sara with SOP/Clarissa on the Blood and Commons tour. She was phenomenal. What a rock & roll drummer. I'm not surprised that Wurster is such a fan - they have similar styles. I'll bet Sara was a big influence on a lot of N.C. drummers.
March 08, 2019 01:50PM
Bent With Pray is clearly the high-water mark of the three SoP records, but the re-recording of "Powder Blue" on Blood and Commons slays me every time I hear it. You can feel how hard she hits, but it's still really nuanced.

Mac McCaughn posted a tribute on Instagram that was also really heartfelt, talking about how inspiring she was.
March 05, 2019 09:07PM
Aaaagh! I'm devastated! I never got to see her with Let's Active [though I had all the records] and I only ever got to see her once with the Dexter Romweber Duo [checks] way back in 2012. That's the last time I saw Dexter. Ow. even more hurt. I live now, like 4 hours away from Carrboro and hell, I saw Dex far more often in Orlando! Poor guy, losing his sister so young and man she was a ferocious drummer.

[postpunkmonk.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login