Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Why no T.Rex?

Why no T.Rex?
August 30, 2006 02:30AM
Why isn't Bolan's career covered in the Trouser Press. Bowie and the Dolls are. Was it because he was too popular at his peak? Or is it because he never was, so why start now?
August 30, 2006 05:31AM
The original idea of the book was to cover the punk scene. Which led to the precursers of punk/alternative uch as Bowie. Now that punk/alt has spread into the mainstream, the distinction between punk and mainstream has become somewhat blurred. So what they hell, might as well...
August 30, 2006 01:26PM
I totally get that, but even neil young has an entry.
August 30, 2006 03:12PM
It's just waiting for someone to write it. Same with Love, Mott the Hoople and Roy Wood, all of whom are prime candidates for TP entries.
August 31, 2006 12:07AM
OK, i'm game

but it will be in a form of a love letter...

NP
Sneakers
racket
(hubba hubba hubba)
August 30, 2006 03:19PM
But NOT Crosby, Stills or Nash!

But yeah, I know what you mean - I still don't buy Madonna as "alternative"anything, but she's in there. Ira would probly tell us to "get yer OWN book then!"
August 30, 2006 04:17PM
Yeah, TP is by far the best music site on the net, it would be nice if there was a site that reached out a little further. AMG is a little too generic and doesn't contain the critical writing that makes TP great.
August 31, 2006 12:24PM
Before he died Bolan was becoming something of a mentor to bands like the Damned. I think if he'd lived long enough to form stronger associations with the punk & post-punk bands (ala people like Bowie, Gabriel and Fripp) there would've been no question if he belonged here or not and he would've been covered long ago.
August 31, 2006 12:45PM
greatest losses in rock

artist has to be near peak or ready to venture forth somewhere else so no johnny cash/george harrison/glenn ford

jimi
bolan
otis
chris bell
brian jones
jeff buckley
sandy denny
marvin
tosh
peter ham
August 31, 2006 12:58PM
Curtis & Cobain could likely be ruled out, given the fact that since they both ended their careers purposefully they must've said everything they had to say.

While there's no evidence really that John Lennon would've done anything more exciting than the pleasantries of Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey, his work on Yoko's stuff on those albums hints at the possibility he may have been open to running wild in the future.

And while I don't think Grant McLennan had any peaks ahead of him he hadn't already climbed, the idea that we'll never hear any new McLennan songs is a pisser.

I'm of the theory that Nick Drake's death was accidental and not an intentional suicide, so I definitely would put him on the list.

Post Edited (08-31-06 11:03)
August 31, 2006 05:14PM
Buddy Holly
D. Boon
Gram Parsons
Andie Gibb

Post Edited (08-31-06 17:23)
ira
September 02, 2006 12:33PM
Eddie Cochran is, for me, rock's greatest lost opportunity. And then Bobby Fuller.
September 05, 2006 06:33AM
cough, Duane Allman,cough
September 05, 2006 08:24PM
I think Kirsty MacColl had much, much more to give.

September 06, 2006 11:18AM
I think that Otis Redding was another lost opportunity. "(Sitting on) The Dock of the Bay" was supposed to be a beginning of a new phase for him instead of the end. He had just connected w/the white audience via the Monterey Pop Festival, just like Jimi Hendrix & was set for an artistic breakthrough when the plane crash happened. Who knows how soul music would have developed differently if he had lived.
September 06, 2006 12:02PM
D.Boon
Matty Blagg
James Darroch
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login