Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Dylan

New Dylan
August 24, 2006 12:34PM
Just heard a song off the new Dylan album that's out next week. If the rest of the album is anywhere near as good as that song, it'll easily be the album of the year.
Re: New Dylan
August 24, 2006 01:36PM
wow, I still listen to Love and Theft a lot.
We're going to see him in DC in November and I heard the Racontuers are opening. Maybe a duet on "One More Cup of Coffee"?
September 02, 2006 12:25PM
After spending a better part of a week with MODERN TIMES, I definitely stand by my original prediction. That old coot's still got it.

Kind of interesting that Dylan and Neil Young both seemed to spend much of the 80s in some sort of fog (although the 80s work of both of them was nowhere near as bad as people would like to think it was now - there was some sub-par stuff for sure, but there was still a lot of good, too) but then both seemed to regain their footing in 1989. I wonder if punk/alternative reshuffled the deck from the 70s enough that both of them had to stop and try to figure out where they still stood in the great scheme of things, or if it was just a coincidence that they kind of slumped at the same time?

Most likely a coincidence.
September 05, 2006 02:25PM
I doubt it was punk or new wave specifically that threw Dylan or Neil for a loop; If I had to guess, I would say that it was probably one step further back, i.e., the same bullshit and entropy in the mainstream rock music industry that inspired punk also affected Young and Dylan in their own ways.

Certainly it doesn't seem like Neil Young wasted too much time before embracing punk rock (remember "Rust Never Sleeps"?), and Dylan has never paid much attention to current musical trends, as far as I can tell.
September 05, 2006 06:01PM
What's weird about Dylan is that he may not incorporate trends into his material but he's always been a pretty up to date guy about what's going on. More so than you'd think anyway.

He was quite fond of the Ramones in the 70's, and he likes the White Stripes alot (and did even before they blew up).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login