Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Poppy and

Poppy and
November 05, 2018 05:28PM
This song is weirdly fascinating. It comes across as a North American take on the Japanese genre of babymetal, which combines deliberately childish-sounding female vocals and guitar riffs. The threats to "Burn down the Wal-Mart/Monsanto, Raytheon" don't come off as anything close to a serious political statement, even before we take into account Grimes' participation in the song, but I think they're meant to be sound like deliberately empty Avril Lavigne-esque sloganeering. "Play Destroy" suggests meta-pop production team PC Music doing a hard rock song (and this is closer to '80s L.A. glam than any version of extreme metal.) [www.youtube.com]

Post Edited (11-05-18 13:30)
November 05, 2018 06:53PM
Wow. That's awful.
November 05, 2018 07:49PM
Maybe it's saying something about the difficulty of expressing politics and true rebellion in contemporary pop music by being example A but in a very self-aware and upfront manner? That's the best reading I can come up with. I do find it enjoyable as music but I have no desire to hear Poppy's entire full-length album, which came out Oct. 28th.
November 11, 2018 02:22AM

Wow. That's awful.

Babymetal?

Sounds like it was dreamt up by a focus group of out-of-touch fuddy-duddies whose only permitted musical reference point was a room full of preteen girls playing Guitar Hero.

Where's Manowar when you need 'em?
November 05, 2018 06:57PM

I would say when I hear a song like this my first instinct is "Is it so conceptual as to be meaningless?"

I don't know.......meaningless to me yes but maybe not to some. It's essentially something more akin to the Modern Lovers (ie sounds like the Velvets musically but the opposite milieu lyrically) or The Ramones (sped up bubble-gum)........with this song though is this so inauthentic as to be off-putting or is the inauthenticity the charm.

November 06, 2018 12:36AM
Poppy is an object.
November 08, 2018 03:34AM
Poppy made a new video, "X" for a song which alternates between sounding like the Mamas & Papas and Marilyn Manson: [www.youtube.com] At this point, I get her schtick, but the commenters underneath are flipping their shit about the satire on religious cults and reference to CARRIE and think she's a pawn of the Satanist Illuminati Masonic conspiracy. Seriously, there's an entire video on this subject from a probable Alex Jones groupie: [www.youtube.com]. It's 4 times longer than the original video. I swear there's gonna be a massacre at a Masonic lodge if this crap doesn't end.
Bip
November 06, 2018 05:26PM
Steevee, have to tell you that i appreciate you keeping up with recent musical trends...and being good about sharing. I'm always looking for current music that excites me the way the sounds of the late 70s / early 80s did. And hoping my ears are as open to it now as when I was 13.

This is not as revolutionary sounding as I'd hoped for; sonically I remember being more surprised by Sleigh Bells upon first hearing their 'heavy pop'. The verses here are almost 'radio Disney pop' before the heavy riffing comes in. I find myself not even listening to the lyrics....but if they mention government overthrow, that's even better. Kids need some of that.

This would sound good next to icona pop's "I don't care". (In fact i wouldn't be shocked to hear this in a tv commercial). Would be a nice diversion from the current top 40 fare. If my 13 year old was getting into this, I'd figure they could be doing worse!
November 06, 2018 07:12PM
Yes, there's a mall-punk attitude akin to that Icona Pop song (even if neither one resembles punk much sonically) to this. I have no idea how popular Poppy is, but she's signed to Diplo's Mad Decent label. Considering that Grimes is on that song, maybe Elon Musk will use his money to promote it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login