Advanced

Re: old things/new bottles

old things/new bottles
August 23, 2006 04:13PM
just got hooked up with

Willis Alan Ramsey

from a rec from wife's friend

it's awfully good

any other gems you people have unearthed lately?
August 23, 2006 05:20PM
I got several of the Real Kids CD's that Norton put out a few years ago that were hangin' around my local record store & I'm very impressed by them & I feel kinda bad that I'm just discovering them, especially after Alpo's death.
August 23, 2006 08:23PM
Have only just now got around to Danielson: Ships (excels). Also discovered Doc Corbin Dart's Patricia (fun). About to dig into Dirty Pretty Things.

np: X-ray Spex

August 26, 2006 09:24PM
Paganizer wrote:

> Also discovered Doc Corbin Dart's Patricia
> (fun).

got tired of waiting for AT to reish, so i finally burned myself a dupe. great stuff from an f6 twister!
September 09, 2006 08:07PM

Also discovered Doc Corbin Dart's Patricia (fun).

There's so little online about Dart that if you mention him on this bulletin board, it will list front page on fficial&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=doc+corbin+dart+patricia&spell=1" rel="nofollow">Google.

August 23, 2006 08:33PM
real kids rock real well
August 23, 2006 09:03PM
I'm working on a huge project at work and staying late, so I'm digging up a lot of CD's I haven't listened to in a long time ...

The Fall - Fall in a Hole - great live set from the original white rapper & crew

Son Volt - Trace - Their first. A really good record. Nearly as strong as Wilco's debut.

McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy - generally under-recognized jazz piano genius, from the classic Coltrane quartet. This is a good 'un.

John Patton - Along Came John - I'm a sucker for jazz organ.

Sockeye - Retards Hiss Past My Window - It's surprising how many songs with titles like "Boy With Breast Implants" and "Steve Albini Fucked Pac-Man" you'll catch yourself singing during the day. You have to be careful.

Sonic Youth - Sister - I'm getting old, because it's been almost 20 years since this came out. It still sounds fresh, both in the new fruit way and the hip-hop way.
August 24, 2006 11:38AM
Going through an oddball Glam/Pop phase. Listening to the Hollywood Brats and the Boys alot ........."Alternative Chartbusters" especially. A monster of a record.

Post Edited (08-24-06 08:43)
August 24, 2006 01:26PM
went to a wedding 2 weeks ago and talked to an old friend who worked in the same record store I did and he sent me a Beserkley records package he put together for an an store promo with the Rubinoos. It has the Chartbusters comp, 2 Greg Kihn, 2 Rubinoos, 2 Jonathan Richman so I be rockin Earth Quake this week off the comp album. When I first heard it I always skipped them.
Re: off-topic
August 24, 2006 02:15PM
Speaking of Greg Kihn, has anyone read any of his novels? I read HORROR SHOW and enjoyed it quite a bit, but haven't read any of the others. Anyone know if they're worth tracking down?
Re: off-topic
August 24, 2006 02:34PM
I'll be seeing Robin Lane perform @ a friend's house Sun night in Beverly, MA. It will be one of those "living room gigs".
August 25, 2006 05:18AM
Funny you mention the Furs, Steve - been diggin their first two albums quite a bit lately.

- The Flesheaters: made meself a CD comp of my favorites of theirs. There was such a glut of great LA punk I kinda overlooked them but DAMN they had some hot stuff. Most underrated?

- Why oh why did I not get Nina Hagen's "nunsexmonkrock" back in the day? Got it recently and think it's a masterpiece - what I always hoped a Yoko Ono album would be like.
August 24, 2006 02:31PM
I Tivo'd the 12 hours of MTV Day 1 and have been working my way through it.

The Shoes rule, I didn't have to rediscover them I still listen to their stuff.

Rediscovered Robin Lane and the Chartbusters, really cool folk-rock new wave.

Also via VH1 Classic, Tenpole Tudor's Wunderbar. Genius!
August 24, 2006 10:10PM
I always quite liked Japan but was never nuts about them but I was doing a bit of work quite late and was listening to this syndicated interview with David Sylvian on a community station (2SER FM, Sydney) and they were specifically talking about his recent solo stuff and were playing some and there were some really nice sounds there. I spotted a second-hand CD of his instrumental stuff called Camphor and it's really beautiful and interesting.

Other stuff that's been around but I've just gotten around to listening to and liking is (The Specials') Terry Hall and (Fun Da Mental's) Mushtaq 'The Hour of Two Lights' and the Bill Laswell Sacred System stuff.
August 25, 2006 02:09AM
speaking of always quite liked...

psychedelic furs.

better than chameleons?

yes.

better than the smiths?

yup.

better than echo and the bunnymen?

welp ....
August 25, 2006 04:09AM
We had the Furs in town a couple of weeks ago. The support band was Rat Cat(!)
August 25, 2006 03:56PM
nunsexmonkrock is one i've always kept handy
yet, i have to be alone - it always annoys others past the point of tolerance

September 10, 2006 12:35AM
I remember going to see the Furs in college, around the time of whatever album had "Here Come Cowboys". I had listened to "Talk Talk Talk" a lot in high school, but had been turned off by their more commercial output. Nonetheless, a friend of mine convinced me to go at the last minute, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
August 27, 2006 08:05PM
I recently "discovered" The Residents, Sparks, Focus, and many others. Thanks YouTube!
September 13, 2006 05:12PM
thanks everyone for sharing.
the post punk british isles years/bands still hold up.
strangely though, out in southern california cir '82 came a particular record that to this day continues to knock me out. TSOL's beneath the shadows. It sounds like the Chameleons USA.
September 14, 2006 12:07AM
So true Steve! TSOL's "beneath the shadows" rules the pools (as the skateboarders used to say).

Just got the original single version of Ultravox's "Hiroshima Mon Amour" - utterly beserk elec. violin blows away the album version.
September 14, 2006 12:24AM
"Just got the original single version of Ultravox's "Hiroshima Mon Amour" - utterly beserk elec. violin blows away the album version."

Well, there's incentive to get my turntable hooked back up. I've got the 45 but have never listened to it because my turntable is disassembled in the spare room.

Always one of my favorite UVox songs - love this version from the Old Grey Whistle Test.

[www.youtube.com]
September 14, 2006 12:26AM
The TSOL LPs I was exposed to were
Revenge
Hit & Run
Strange Love
I also saw them sometime in the early 90s. On all accounts I thought they were garbage; couldn't figure out the supposed attached legend. Looks like I missed out on something?
Not wanting to wade; school me on a few introductory tracks.

edit: (have read the TP entry, natch, but never braved them again - willing to hear just a track or two)

It's like my Dylan problem. The 1st 4 Dylan LPs I ever heard were:
Slow Train Coming (when I was major into punk - I thought he was a poor man's Jackson Browne at the time)
Saved (I'm pretty hard to offend, but...)
Shot of Love (good god that one's bad)
Planet Waves (what a mess)
Later on, somebody explained his original legend and played representational tracks....
The myth was stained, though I dutifully listen to every release.

Post Edited (09-14-06 15:31)
September 14, 2006 01:21AM
Paganizer,

I recommend TSOL's "Beneath the Shadows" and "Dance with Me." The first one's a lot more psychedelic sounding, with cool keyboards, whereas the other one's more straight-up hardcore, but delivered with a lot of fury. There's also a CD that combines their first self-titled EP with the "Weathered Statues" EP, which is also really good.

The three TSOL albums you mentioned were the ones recorded after the original singer Jack quit. "Strange Love" is horrible hair-metal, and "Hit and Run" is almost as bad. I do really like their "Change Today?" album, though. (It took a while to grow on me, however, and I wouldn't recommend it over the earlier albums.)

The Trouser Press TSOL reviews are also helpful at describing how the band went from great to bad (and then back to just OK, with the recent reunion records):

[www.trouserpress.com]

Post Edited (09-13-06 22:23)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login