Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joe Jackson tour dates in July

Joe Jackson tour dates in July
May 01, 2018 03:32PM
Sticking mostly to the eastern part of the continent this time out. Reno, if this interests you at all, I can say I've seen Joe at least half a dozen times, and he's never let me down.

7/06 – Music Hall – Tarrytown, NY
7/08 – Flynn Center for the Performing Arts – Burlington, VT
7/09 – The Strand – Providence, RI
7/12 – The Music Hall – Portsmouth, NH
7/14 – Rebecca Cohn Auditorium – Halifax, NS
7/15 – Capitol Theatre – Moncton, NB
7/17 – Whitaker Center – Harrisburg, PA
7/18 – Carnegie Music Hall of Homestead – Munhall, PA
7/20 – Meijer Gardens – Grand Rapids, MI
7/21 – The Pageant – St. Louis, MO
7/25 – Burton Cummings Theatre – Winnipeg, MB
7/29 – Egyptian Theatre – Boise, ID

Re: Joe Jackson tour dates in July
May 01, 2018 04:43PM
Fascinating that he's coming to Boise, but not to Portland or Seattle or SF. I've never seen him, despite a number of opportunities. He and I are getting to the age where it might have been one of those occasions in which I'd go see him just to be able to say that I'd done so. I'm guessing (hoping) I get another chance.
May 01, 2018 05:27PM
I suspect most of the cities on this itinerary are first-time visits for J.J.

May 01, 2018 06:08PM
He is the kind of artist that I would go see provided they had not put out any material in a long time. I just want to hear the songs I really liked from Look Sharp and Night and Day, there was another album in between these two, the name escapes me. It was pretty good as well. That is an eclectic touring schedule to say the least.
May 01, 2018 07:46PM
I'll admit that Joe's last album, Fast Forward, didn't meet the standard that I've come to hold him to. But the show I saw on that tour still was top-notch.

And he's renowned for taking his best-known songs and recasting them. His Live 1980/86 album includes three different arrangements of "Is She Really Going Out with Him?" I've heard his band perform it at least three additional ways on subsequent tours, as well as the familiar arrangement from the 1979 single.

I can still remember the opening of his 2004 show (his reunion with his original band). Joe came out by himself, sat at the piano, and began a long, flowing vamp through major and minor keys, eventually settling down to the familiar two-note pulse that opens "It's Different for Girls." Of course, the audience cheered and got excited ... and then he sang, "Nowww ... the mist across the window hides the liiines ..." The audience gave a big cheer at this surprise.

And while I'm on the subject, his stage bands have been second to none. He has a gift for bringing together musicians and molding them into true ensembles. His band on the 1989 tour remains one of the best I've ever seen. (His band on this outing is the same quartet he had last time around.)

May 02, 2018 12:49PM
I second everything Delvin says. He swung around the DC area twice on the 'Fast Forward' tour and while that album was represented the most, the bulk of the other songs were from his first three albums (and he didn't repeat the setlist, song for song). He's also good with an audience. Sadly, we are getting to that age where one never knows if this will the last time (for the performer or us!), so I always recommend, if there is the slightest inclination to go - go.

May 02, 2018 01:16PM
Has anyone heard anything about JJ's health? The last two times I saw him, his piano was situated to stage right, which made for a minimal number of steps for the musician. He remained seated the whole show, and when he stood up at the end, it appeared as if perhaps he was holding onto the piano for a bit of support before he left the stage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login