Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RIP NME

RIP NME
March 08, 2018 10:04PM
...after a 66-year run. Not that I'd read it in ages, but this, as they are saying, is the end of an era. Any cool record shop in the '80s had NMEs prominently for sale.

Was surprised to learn that Melody Maker folded back in 2000. Just goes to show you how much I keep up with music journalism in recent years (present company excepted, of course!)
Re: RIP NME
March 09, 2018 12:54AM
Used to be the biggest deal going to pick it up on a Wednesday even though it was three months behind. Discovered so much stuff via those pages, most notable Echo & The Bunnymen (camouflage era). Totally lost the plot with the redesign and content. I sent something to the letters page in my youth and due to me living at 90 Bangaroo Street, North Balgowlah, Sydney, Australia, they dubbed it "Address of the Week"
March 09, 2018 12:40PM
To be fair, they're continuing online. My understanding is that the switch over to being a free paper a few years ago ended up driving their readership to their website. Or so they claim.

I don't know that I've ever read an issue, let alone gone to their site. I've had a couple of people tell me their website is terrible.
March 15, 2018 05:04PM
Yes, I remember my sole contribution to NME, a piece called The Wistful Blues of Rick Astley. It contains this delicious dialogue:

"Ya know, despite my deep rugged soul on these numbas, I was ignored and lambasted around the world. So like a soulful good boy I went away. And now look whappened. Now we got Justin Bieber. Just think, if these errant listeners only embraced me, I would still be big today and there would be no niche for Justin Bieber. Well, it's too late to turn back. You can't say to me Rick, you were really something. Why didn't we see it at the time? No, I'm not gonna perform for you fuckers. You made your bed and have to lie with Bieber, Mackelmore, Minage and all them hos.""
March 18, 2018 07:45PM
I use the NME.

But I also use anarchy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login