Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Shriekback in Kickstarter for US Tour

Shriekback in Kickstarter for US Tour
January 31, 2018 04:01PM
A week ago, fave band Shriekback, now paying live agin after almost 25 years of just recording new albums have begun a $94K Kickstarter campaign. They had a successful one last year for UK/Europe, but this one costs a lot more to make happen. The first day netted almost $20K with all of the high ticket pledges [home concerts] snapped up immediately. Great, right? The last six days have seen the needle barely budge and I do so want to experience this band live, it's making me tense.

[www.kickstarter.com]

Lineup is exactly the same as their '85-'86 "imperial period" with two exceptions: Original bass player Dave Allen is now a bigwig with Apple after they bought Beats, so Scott Firth of PiL is filling in. On a happier note, Carl Marsh who left after "Oil + Gold" is back in the fold, and as he had sung many of those songs before it all fell upon Barry Andrews' shoulders, this is a great thing.

Post Edited (01-31-18 12:03)

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
January 31, 2018 08:46PM
Wow ... Dave Allen, formerly of Gang of Four and Shriekback, is now a big shot at Apple?

To hell with poverty, indeed.

January 31, 2018 08:58PM
Delvin - Yeah. I mean, technically, Allen could probably front the band their $94K travel/rehearsal/lodging/work visa expenses without batting an eyelash, but I suppose that might de-legitimize it in the band's eyes, who want to prove that they can still ride that rock horse.

[postpunkmonk.com]
February 01, 2018 03:46PM
I've always been surprised at how little remembered Shriekback is these days, for a major band from the 1980s. Their mainstream records are very hard to find, even though they were decent sellers and critically praised at the time. I'm missing a couple of them, and can never seem to find them listed at anything less than outrageous prices. And even radio programs that focus on music from the era seem to have entirely forgotten about the band.

Shame, cause they were excellent.
February 01, 2018 06:36PM
I think they get forgotten because they are excellent, apart from "Go Bang!" where they actually tried selling out to see what would happen. What happened? The band imploded and disappeared for several years where I thought "that was it." When you think of "80s rock" Shriekback were darker and smarter than the stuff that was selling in bulk. I need the albums they released fairly recently like "Life In the Loading bay," which is only eight years old but priced out of reach. The band have taken to reissuing their earliest albums [Tench/Care/Jamscience] by their lonesome in [probably technically] bootleg recordings and sold in their webstore. But even these have sold out quickly. Suggestion: join the great mailing list and get ready to buy [quickly] when the release something.

[postpunkmonk.com]
February 02, 2018 04:01AM
>where they actually tried selling out to see what would happen. What >happened? The band imploded and disappeared for several years

If there isn't a moral in there somewhere....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login