Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bummer In The Summer: Arthur Lee R.I.P.

Bummer In The Summer: Arthur Lee R.I.P.
August 04, 2006 05:54AM
Fresh, and unfortunate, news from Pitchfork. Not much else out there yet:

Arthur Lee's manager, Mark Linn, sent out the following email just minutes ago:

"Arthur Lee died peacefully at Methodist Hospital in Memphis, a little after four in the afternoon Aug 3, 2006 with his wife Diane by his side. His death comes as a shock to me because Arthur had the uncanny ability to bounce back from everything, and leukemia was no exception. He was confident that he would be back on stage by the fall.

apologies for cut'n'paste,
----Len
August 04, 2006 09:39AM
RIP Arthur,

Truly an absolute champion, singer and songwriter, and with Love one of the best bands of all time, Forever Changes is easily an instant classic not discounting how good Da Capo and Love were. Was still performing up until recent health troubles, truly a class act, sorely missed.
August 04, 2006 11:22AM
This sucks.

The opening act in St. Louis for Wreckless Eric a couple of weeks ago was a Memphis band called River City Tanlines (great band, hate the name) and the frontperson was a woman named Alicja Trout, who seems to be in every band in Memphis including Lee's new line-up of Love. From what it sounded like, the new Love was going to be pretty damn great and it's a shame we won't get to hear it now.
August 04, 2006 11:25AM
Very sad day. He'll be missed.

August 09, 2006 05:01PM
Two Psychedelic legends gone in the space of a month.

Relistening to Love now makes me appreciate more the enduring quality of their music.

August 10, 2006 12:32PM
Freaky because I was reading the love book on the plane and thought, jeez what a bastard, and when I get off my brother tells me he's dead.
August 10, 2006 01:36PM
Which Love book, Pegasus Carousel by Michael Stuart I think?) or Barney Hoskins' MOJO book bio on Arthur (which I read just a month or so ago)?
August 10, 2006 03:51PM
the Michael Stuart book
August 14, 2006 01:13AM
Wow, I too had just read Pegasus Carousel when I heard of his death.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login