Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Slang Teacher

Slang Teacher
November 17, 2017 06:07PM
Was there much punk/alt-rock slang? I have a wonderful book called "Straight From the Fridge, Dad: A Dictionary of Hipster Slang" but it's largely jazz/beatnik type stuff. If the writer wants to update it, howzabout adding

- DIY
- hardcore, also: HxCx
- slam, slam dance, slamming (which became 'mosh' at some point, maybe when the metal crowd got into slamming?)
- slam pit, also: the pit, mosh pit
- straight edge, also SxEx
- mersh (as in 'going commercial')
- New Romantic (I once heard a girl in the early '80s refer to a guy as being a "NewRo"!)
- gobbing (or is that a Brit term for spitting in general?)
- skinhead, skins
- Nazi skin, Nazi punk
- fanzine, 'zine
- Mohawk, also: Mo', Mohican
- skronk
- tat: tattoo
- tatted up
- Doc Martens
- Two-Tone (I know, a record label, but it did come into it's own as a term, didn't it?)

Some of these terms might not have originated in the rock underground, but it's where they thrived - I haven't heard them used elsewhere, except maybe for "DIY," which does seem to have moved a bit into the mainstream.

Some bands invented their own slang, like Devo, and the Descendents (and perhaps other bands whose names started with "De-"?):
- spud
- poot (as in "dance the...")
- myage
- bikeage

Let's leave out musical genres/sub-genres, or we'll be here all day.

Post Edited (11-17-17 14:13)
November 19, 2017 03:34PM

Let's leave out musical genres/sub-genres, or we'll be here all day.

Armed with the knowledge that punk and alt-rock are both supposed to be genres/sub-genres, I'll say nothing.

Instead, here's a drawing of a man being beaten and flayed alive by bunny rabbits:

BCE
November 20, 2017 11:44AM
Wasn't there a NYT reporter dispatched to Seattle when the whole Sub Pop thing blew up everywhere and all the locals gave the reporter fake slang? That was textbook "fake news" and I wonder when (if) someone will buy the rights to that story (the actual NYT piece with the fake slang) because that would be funny.
November 20, 2017 01:37PM
Yep. That reporter's gullibility was hilarious and makes one wonder if similar things are happening about far more important world events. There's a '90s documentary about grunge that does include the story.
November 20, 2017 03:10PM
Is this the article in question? There's a dubious lexicon of grunge speak at the end--

[www.nytimes.com]

Post Edited (11-20-17 11:11)
November 20, 2017 07:10PM
Harsh realm, New York Times! That reporter was a real lame-stain.
zoo
November 20, 2017 10:43PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login