Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: yeah, right

ira
yeah, right
July 22, 2006 01:09PM
absurd assertion of the week, from the New Yorker:

"If you walk into an American bar and ask for Scritti Politti, the bartender will probably put on the British band's 1985 hit 'Perfect Way'."

Does ANYONE believe that statement to be true, even in the most general, prosaic sort of way?
July 23, 2006 04:12AM
i've never talked to my favorite bartender about scritti politti, but i'm willing to bet a buck he'd just gimme a shrug...

heck, he doesn't even dig the used art brut cd i tipped him with a couple weeks ago. *sigh*

ooooooh, but i did see my second fave bartender at the johnny dowd show last year, so all hope is not lost. hehe, but i think she was just there to play pool. hmmm, ya think i oughta remind her he's playing again on august 1st or just wait to see if she shows?

oh, and before you answer, she already has a boyfriend whose young rich and handsome factor is much greater than mine. winking smiley
July 23, 2006 10:02AM
Well, this must be happening alot because I tried this last night. The bartender started to cry when I asked for Scritti Politti and said "Why does everyone keep asking me about them today?!?" .....Then I pulled out Breno's list of the "50 Greatest Synth Pop" songs and we had a spirited discussion about it. Later, everything became blurry, I was tossed out screaming "Your lack of respect for the early Comsat Angels releases makes me want to throw up, you vulgarian!"......While throwing up I realized there may have been other factors involved however.

July 23, 2006 10:58AM
I don't believe the statement. In New York the bartender would put on Skank Bloc Bologna.
July 23, 2006 08:38PM
Ha ha, that's pretty retarded all right. I had to look 'em up in TP reviews just to refresh my memory and "Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin)" was the only one that I remembered. Actually I don't remember the song, just the goofy title.

Always got Scritti Politti mixed up with Dead or Alive. As I'm sure most people do.
July 24, 2006 12:13AM
I imagine if you ask most bartenders about Scritti Politti most likely they'll think you mean Milli Vanilli.
July 24, 2006 12:26AM
Which one is made with rum?

(I've never asked a bartender about music period. I've never witnessed anybody ask a freaking bartender about music. It's a bartenders job to point out the juke box and then say 'Now what'll you have?').

July 24, 2006 04:24AM
having just returned from a bar, which i may or may not have gone to specifically with the intent of posing the scritti manilli question...i still have no answer.

forgot to ask

had a better question:

"what's a really good sippy shot?"

ended up with a "crunk juice."

*sigh*, dumbass me forgot to specify, "nothing with fucking red bull."
July 24, 2006 10:00AM

"what's a really good sippy shot?"

aged tequila

late reserve port

i talk music with bartenders: just last saturday at louise and jerry's, discussed which album ac/dc went south on, what sky saxon wore last time he was in, and how great xtc sounds on a jukebox (heard my neighbor slam the car door!!!)

it got me a free beck's
July 24, 2006 12:40PM
actually I did ask! My bartender mistook them for Dirutti Column which led to an argument with another patron about "24 Party People" and a bet on who looks worse now Shaun Ryder or Mark E Smith.
August 01, 2006 05:29AM
<i>i talk music with bartenders: just last saturday at louise and jerry's, discussed which album ac/dc went south on, what sky saxon wore last time he was in, and how great xtc sounds on a jukebox (heard my neighbor slam the car door!!!)</i>

If the bartenders at Louise and Jerry's are still the same as they were some years ago, they were (or maybe still are) in a band called American Standard ... Also years ago, they used to hold informal album listening sessions from noon to four on Saturdays, where we brought in favorite unheard albums, drank beer and discussed. A great bar ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login