Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Old D.C. Bands !!!

Old D.C. Bands !!!
August 15, 2004 06:44AM
Does anybody have fond memories of D.C. bands from the late seventies, early eighties such as Razz, The Slikee Boys, Minor Threat, The Urban Verbs, Bad Brains, Tex Rubinowitz and the Bad Boys, Johnny Bombay and the Reactions, Martha Hull solo, Nightman, the late Danny Gatton, Billy Hancock and Evan Johns and the H-Bombs? There are many others not mentioned. Do any of you people who were living in D.C. in that time period have favorites? It seemed to be a great scene in clubs like The Psychedelli, The Bayou, D.C. Space and the old 9:30 Club, among others. Unfortunately, none of those bands became popular. Most of the old clubs are gone, except for the 9:30 Club, which moved further up town. Back in those days, there were a few records released on small independent labels, for the most part, and a couple of bands who got major label deals who never caught fire nationally. It's weird because those bands were each unique in pleasantly original ways and seemed to belong in the punk era; however, none of the bands I cite could really be thought of as punk except the Bad Brains and Minor Threat. There was also Fugazi later on. It's too bad that particular era in D.C. is not even seen as a blip in the history of Rock N' Roll. Garage bands with one local single in the mid-sixties seem like major bands such as Led Zeppelin compared to the D.C. scene.

Post Edited (08-15-04 03:48)
August 15, 2004 10:23AM
DANCE OF DAYS

Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital

By Mark Andersen and Mark Jenkins

Soft Skull Press: 421 pp, $20.00

(that scene--captured nicely in dischord's box set--was so much healthier and rockin' vs LA's; man, it is alwys underrrated.

i am not recommending the above book--i simply know it exists)
August 16, 2004 09:55AM
Thanks for the info. I'll get a copy of the book.
August 16, 2004 06:20PM
"Dance of Days" is a cool book. You'll definitely dig it.

I also really like Cynthia Connolly's "Banned in D.C.," which is a great collection of photographs capturing that scene. Worth checking out.

Post Edited (08-16-04 15:20)
November 25, 2005 09:38PM
Know nothing about rockabilly here in DC, but since I moved back a few months ago (I was here 1997-99) I've been wondering what became of some of the bands I used to see here: Lava (DC), Clare Quilty, a lot of the Velvet Lounge bands, etc.
November 25, 2005 09:42PM
here's an interesting catalog of d.c. bands, though i don't know if it helps to answer your questions:
[www.30underdc.com]
August 29, 2004 12:53AM
Were The Alternatives from D.C.? My band opened for them in Boise Idaho in about '88. They were a wild improvish instrumental combo, just a great band. I never did hear much about them after that.
September 03, 2004 04:50PM
The Alter-natives were from Richmond VA. They made a couple of records (one of which "Buzz" made it to CD on SST).

Here is what one of them is doing semi-recently at least:

[www.leftoffthedial.com]
September 12, 2004 04:36AM
I still like the insect surfers. They played Melburned Florida a thousand times on twenty five cent beer nights for fifteen years. A legendary band from D.C.
September 13, 2004 03:02AM
I remember The Insect Surfers. I haven't heard anything about them in many years.
April 26, 2005 01:16PM
they are in l.a.
October 15, 2004 05:47PM
You left out D.C.'s own Black Market Baby!! The drunkest, rowdiest bunch of redneck punks this side of the Mason-Dixon line...Good music..Bad attitudes!! They are listed in the "Dance of days" and "Banned in DC" books.
Their shows were always a great time..

February 12, 2005 05:08AM
old DC bands never die. trouble funk, Novoselic, Fugazi, and John fahey. Pass the potbrownies please.
February 12, 2005 04:26PM
good topic... I saw the Slickee Boys when visiting DC in early '82 and they put on a good show.

being a punk/hardcore guy, I obviously loved the old Dischord bands, especially Scream, Void, the Faith and, of course, Minor Threat. Got into Black Market Baby a little later and they were completely underrated... "Downard Christain Soldiers" is a classic song... never got to see them live but I was lucky enough to see Minor Threat three times...

and, of course, the Bad Brains were incredible... too bad their beliefs are so sketchy, in particular about gay people...
February 12, 2005 08:36PM
yeah, Fugazi even. I like power pop so...Tommy Keene too.
February 16, 2005 02:17AM
Eggs? One of those guys is from my area in Massachusetts... Rob.. he played drums in Said and Done, a hardcore band for whom I released a 7" around 1991..

getting back to the Bad Brains, they were from DC... the first time I saw them was in Boston in the spring of '82. They were very late... showed up at 1:30 to play a club that had to close at 2. But I'm glad I stuck around. They came in, set up... no sound check, just plugged in and played 15-20 minutes... all hardcore... one of the greatest sets I've ever seen to this day. The place fucking EXPLODED!!!!
February 14, 2005 05:30PM
Weren't the Brains a Baltimore conglom? They are a candidate for worst show I ever saw. Back about '89, I think H.R. had been MIA for several years before that. Doors open 4 hours after the showtime on the tix. They set up, blow off soundcheck and play without the mics plugged in for 25 minutes then leave. Two guitars were heard playing the same three notes during the set - though not at the same time. They played in the dark - couldn't get the lights to work, so they turned on the house lights. They walk off, a riot erupts. Bloody, shirt torn, lesbian pulls a knife on me. Got home, threw away their LPs.

February 14, 2005 07:24PM
wow! A real riot GRRLS nite out. About two years ago my wife and i were in a local dive (nothing but the best for Kathleen) having a beer, minding our own. Nature called kathleen away and then outta nowhere comes this porkwad of girl up to my table and sez "this is me and girlfriends table", "oh yeah?" sez I then shhplock! A right cross to the puss, calls me a faggot and walks off. Now, its well known thoughout the S Fla boxing community that I cut easy, so Kathleen comes back and said "what happened!" Honesty being the key to a sucessful marriage...I told her the truth... i ran into the door in the john. Happy Valentines Day everyone!
February 16, 2005 06:46AM
They were alot like the Spin Doctors but much better - exactly like my toilet waste. Versus, on the other hand (though they are an NYC outfit they will be reuniting in DC) I have considered flying back to DC for. One of my 3 all-time favorite live bands and the only band to give me an out-of-body experience (and yes I saw the G. Dead). '82 would have been the year to see the Brains, for sure. When they still had working mikes and attention spans. And kudos to all at Teenbeat and Dischord etc. It has always been a challenge to keep a scene going there.

February 14, 2005 09:27PM
OK, not so old and not so punk, but if you are in the area, be sure to catch some of the icons of the D.C. area's early-90's indie-rock golden age next week at Teenbeat Records' 20th Anniversary shows at the Black Cat. Unrest and Eggs headline on the 24th (both bands reuniting for this concert), and Tuscadero & Versus topping the bill on the 25th.

Also, informed sources tell me Eggs will be doing a show somewhere in Brooklyn, NY next Wednesday as well... I'd drive up there myself to see them if I weren't slavin' for the man...

Details can be found at Teenbeatrecords.com.

Post Edited (02-14-05 17:35)
February 15, 2005 06:06PM
A little off topic but my friends and I used to see a neo-hippie jam band called New Potato Caboose at the Bayou all the time in '88-'89. I loved them, they were alot like the Spin Doctors but much better.

They were a big deal in DC and the Mid-Atlantic for awhile and made one record for Rykodisc then faded away. They were just a few years ahead of their time, they would have fit in nicely with early / mid '90's jam bad fad.

November 25, 2005 09:14PM
since link wray died, i was thinking about the rockabilly scene in d.c., primarily switch blade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login