Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: tear jerker

tear jerker
February 27, 2006 10:59AM
saddest song?

i figger it'd be wyatt's lil red riding hood song wjere he apologizes for paralyzing himself to his girlfried (sorry 'bout the inconvience); then i remembered never being able to stand up when i lissen to James Carr or Gene Clark but i figger that's more of a shrink topic so after mulling over this for over 113 seconds i'll nominate:

Jeff Air
Today

not a dry eye in da houze...
February 27, 2006 12:17PM
It's sad then ends kinda happy, but I get a weepy every time I listen to "Strawberry Blonde" by Ron Sexsmith.

Post Edited (02-27-06 09:21)
February 27, 2006 02:50PM
Tough to narrow this question down to just one song but Elvis Presley's Old Shep comes to mind as does Lou Reed's Caroline Says II and Street Hassle (particularly the last section of the song following Springsteen's cameo).
February 27, 2006 03:11PM
Yeah, I can't pick just one of these, but here's just a few off the top of my head that get to me.

"I Know It's Over" - The Smiths : Something about that lilting melody.

"No Surprises" - Radiohead

"Here Comes A Regular" - 'Mats

"Madame George" - Van Morrison

"In Betweens" - The Only Ones : The melody again !

February 27, 2006 03:37PM
John prine Sam Stone
Lou Reed Dreaming, The Kids
New Barbarians Moulty
Los Lobos Little John of God
several others that in among themselves are not tear jerk worthy but have sentimental attatchments that when listened to in extreme intoxicated state can cause waterworks not seen since the Packer Bronco Superbowl
March 02, 2006 03:44AM
i would say the saddest 'Mats song is "swinging party."
meat puppets "we're here."
basshead "not over you."
my brother would probably vote the folk song "go tell aunt rhodie (roadie?) that the old grey goose is dead."
i am trying not to mix depressed with tear jerker, but i am.
February 27, 2006 04:42PM
I'm gonna hafta second Madisdadi on John Prine. In addition to "Sam Stone", about half the songs on that first album are gut-wrenching, especially the one whose title I'm forgetting about the couple growing old and nobody caring about them anymore.

And I always thought XTC's "Chalkhills and Children" had a pretty heartbreaking melody too.
February 27, 2006 06:04PM
I'd like to echo Mats' Here Comes a Regular and Madisdadi's The Kids selections. The Kids is particularly unbearable and I was going to mention it but then I would have also had to mention The Bed and then it would have just led to listing like half of the Berlin album.

Also:

Give My Love To Rose - Johnny Cash

On a related note, though we're doing just songs that Johnny Cash "Hurt" video with the old, weary and trembling Cash singing by himself with June Carter looking on interspersed with clips of Cash in his prime is as moving as it gets. I rank it as the best music video I have ever seen.
February 27, 2006 06:23PM
I'll agree with Gene Clark. About 6 if his tunes put me in a maudlin frame of mind.

I'd also opt for the Burritos' "Wheels," which brings to mind "Dark End of the Street"--pointing to a whole parcel of Oldham-Penn tunes that kill me.

Doc Watson will do the trick as well.

As for contemporary artists, I'd have to say Hem's "hollow" and Ryan Adams' "When Will You Come Back Home" and "Jacksonville."
February 27, 2006 09:10PM
'Shannon is gone I heard she's drifting out so sea' (snif)
'She always loved to swim away' (snif)
ira
February 28, 2006 11:18AM
If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett. Every single time. And not for the lyrics but for the melody.
March 01, 2006 06:42AM
The Pogues version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, I was playing Rum Sodomy and Lash and a friend said, "you don't mind if I shed a tear do you?"
March 01, 2006 08:43PM
The Go Betweens Dusty in Here.
March 02, 2006 01:31AM
oh shit
speaking of movies/manuel

that canadien festival The Band train movie is on showtime all the time lately and when manuel sings i shall be released it is the most moving song i've ever seen in a rock doc

jeez thanks: that's a tearjerker
March 01, 2006 08:53PM
"Last Night"-Tom Verlaine
"It Makes No Difference"-The Band
"Into The Sun"-King Black Acid
"Long May You Run"-Neil Young
"Ambulance Blues"-Neil
Anything sung by Manuel or Danko
March 01, 2006 10:40PM
Hiya skooook.
IFC's been showin that danged Last Waltz show ever SAT. Hafta admit, I love it so much it hurts. Bravo comrade.
March 02, 2006 04:10AM
the second part of "and the ship sails on" by love tractor
Re: tear jerker trane
March 02, 2006 01:47PM
oops

this is the saddest song (aside from his own alabama)

[www.youtube.com]
March 02, 2006 01:52PM
i got all tear jerky evertime I used drive to work and have to go by the hotel in Winter Park where he hung himself in '86. Once I was stopped at a traffic light in front of the place a couple of years ago and "Lonesome Suzie" came on the radio at that moment and I figured where I was. I think the hotel has been torn down since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login