Advanced

Re: I would pay $1000 to punch (blank) in the face

I would pay $1000 to punch (blank) in the face
February 14, 2006 08:24PM
John Mayer.

I can't stand that twerp.
February 14, 2006 08:59PM
Yeah, I'll go along with John Mayer too. In fact I'll go higher than $1,000.

Also would like to smack around James Blunt for that "You're Beautiful" song. Ugh.

Scott Stapp too.
February 14, 2006 09:01PM
"Twerp"?!? Now there's a word that's not used nearly enough anymore....

I wouldn't pay much for it, but I'd sure like to give Ryan Adams a kick in the ass. Perry Farrell might be worth a hundred or so.

And I assume you're looking for musical punching bags, 'cuz I've got a whole lot of punches lined up for W and his administration.
February 14, 2006 09:15PM

And I assume you're looking for musical punching bags, 'cuz I've got a whole lot of punches lined up for W and his administration

who needs punching bags when they are obviously shooting each other in the face

i would pay to punch out sting
February 14, 2006 09:12PM
Rhett, you can't even say that now (better edit it out before you get intecepted).

For a thousand? Fred Durst. Actually I can't promote the violence aspect (I'd be at W's level or worse).
Then again, I'll sign over house and home if it's Eminem!

Perry Farrell doesn't bother me and I liked the two main Jane's LPs and admire anybody who put Lolla on the table way back when.
Remind me again what his sins are?

For a minute I read John Mayer as John Mayall.

Post Edited (02-16-06 15:50)
February 14, 2006 09:34PM
Hey! A man of wisdom needs no violence!
Having said that I would love to stick one on the collective chins of A Simple Plan.
February 14, 2006 10:35PM
Paganizer wrote:

> Rhett, you can't even say that now (better edit it out before
> you get intecepted).
>

you know, I actually thought about that and hesitated momentarily.

>
> Perry Farrell doesn't bother me and I liked the two main Jane's
> LPs and admire anybody who put Lolla on the table way back
> when.
> Remind me again what his sins are?

I enjoyed the music well enough on the JA albums, but I just find Farrell to be a pretentious fuck with a really grating voice. "Jane Says" will cause me to change the radio station EVERY TIME and I can't even say that about Steve Miller. On the other hand, I guess my record collection is loaded with pretentious fucks with grating voices (hello, Jello!), so.....
February 14, 2006 09:46PM
Punching a well-known individual in the face, however, would probably garner the twerp a lot of publicity.

Not for me, Reno. I would sooner spend the thousand bucks on some cool music ... whether to play on my stereo, or tickets to some upcoming concerts.
February 15, 2006 01:06PM
Reno:
I'd pay the grand to have you punch him in the face just for that column he writes in Esquire.
Got your back pally!
I don't know if this counts, but I worked a PIL show once and Lydon had to be the most obnoxious, mean spirited, rude, fucking asshole I ever met and actually got into a face to face shouting match with him and had to be restrained from taking him apart.
Others in the shitbag-working-with-them category:
Los Lobos
Bonnie Raitt
David Lee Roth
Sinead O'Connor
Soul Asylum (one person only)
Alex Chilton
Rank and File, the Dils (one guy only)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Green Day
the list could go on..............
February 16, 2006 01:02AM
A friend of mine was a bartender in LA and she says that Elvis Costello was the meanest, most unpleasant bastard she ever had the displeasure of waiting on.

MacGyver, on the other hand, is apparently a gem of a human being.
February 16, 2006 01:40AM
that bartender never served david crosby or lou reed

i have

they're worse

Post Edited (02-16-06 09:05)
February 16, 2006 05:43AM
Los Lobos were hard to deal with in what way? I love those guys.
February 16, 2006 12:33PM
without going into specific requests (both legal and illeagal) let's just say they pulled a real rock star act and were overall mean bastards to the people who worked the show and a few fans after the show.
February 16, 2006 03:41PM
I did lighting for a few shows in the '80s ...

Best artists I got to work for:

Berlin
Stevie Ray Vaughan
George Clinton
Modern English
The Members
Translator

I don't remember anyone who was downright bad to work for, although I thought Greg Kihn seemed a bit more insulated and coddled by his management than he ought to have been.
Re: I would pay $1000 to mainline energy
February 16, 2006 05:11PM
One of the nicest 'celebs' I've ever been around was Tom Hanks. I think it has alot to do with energy level. Famers with alot of energy seem to be able to complete a massive body of work while maintaining a high level of PR. Those of us with average (or less) energy levels get burned out, grouchy, need long breaks. Some people have unfathomable amounts of energy and can work 16 hour days round the calendar.

Re: I would pay $1000 to mainline energy
February 16, 2006 07:38PM
> Some people have unfathomable amounts of energy
> and can work 16 hour days round the calendar.

That's a pretty good sign that said person loves what he/she does for a living ... to the point where it doesn't seem much like work anymore.
February 17, 2006 07:28AM
John Entwhistle (sp) out of love.

I think I mentioned in the past, the guy from Polyphonic Spree, but that has to be free or maybe 6 bucks max.

Speaking of Polyphonic Spree, the Flaming Lips, I wouldn't hit, but they owe me some money for the headphones tour.

I'd let Eddy Guerrero hit me for a thousand bucks if I had the chance.

damn, now I'm sad.

James K, in Houston
February 17, 2006 03:44PM
The corpse of Col. Parker.

Scott Stapp, except he would use the money to buy that tape he's supposed to be on with Kid Rock.

Michael Stipe went from really nice (Reckoning tour) to over-intentionally weird (Fables tour) to prick (Green tour) over the course of the three times I've met him backstage.

Paul Westerberg is still the coolest rock-related person I've ever talked to who isn't Jason Rigenberg.
February 17, 2006 11:37PM
Westerberg can be cool if you're talking to him one on one. The more people that are around him the more he tends to become withdrawn. At least that's been my experience. Talked to him once for 20 minutes about Mott the Hoople! Hey you know what would be cool? If the Westerberg entry could be updated to include the Vagrant years. And if I didn't have to mention that so much smiling smiley .....Backstage at a "Document" tour show in Philly I was present when Stipe was being interviewed and somehow he overheard me saying something not too kind about 10,000 Maniacs and he lectured me about it. I'm not kidding.

February 20, 2006 03:31PM
Westerberg:
I got fired by a promoter after an Iggy Pop show after arguing about the lack of money being sent my way. I mean banned from any venue his company was promoting with any kind of show. The next night the 'Mats are playin and I weasel my way on to do the load in to make some extra ching and supplement my rock and roll existence. I talked to Westerberg outside their bus havin a ciggie and end up explainin to him my dismissal. He not only invites me backstage for brewskis before the show, but calls the promoter over and tells him I'm their road manager for the night!
Stipe:
My band was asked to open for the 10 thou manics, REM show many moons ago (we'd actually be 4th on the bill, in other words WE we're the soundcheck). Again I'm outside the tour busses havin a ciggie when Natalie Merchant walks 20 yards out of her way to tell me the entire bus zone is a no smoking zone. I just laughed at her. She walked back to the bus she and stipe shared ( on this tour she shared a bus with stipe while their backing bands had their own bus)about 40 yards from where I was standing. He marched off the bus and gave me some hippie lecture for about 20 minutes on how I should respect every artist's wish and especially how to be a human being yadda yadda and ended telling me if I was more like that my band wouldn't be the soundcheck!
Rock and Rollllllllllllllllllllllllllll!
February 17, 2006 03:45PM
Sorry, duplicate post.

Post Edited (02-17-06 11:45)
February 17, 2006 09:51PM
Don't really like separating musicians/famous people from the rest anymore than the cool ones want to be seperated but must agree with the Paul Westerberg observation. The first time I met him I didn't know what to say when he walked right up to me after a show. He just wanted to say hi and hang out. Never could figure out Lydon or Rollins' intentions...maybe that's a good thing. Have the exact same observation about Stipe (as above).

NP: Prolapse - The Italian Flag
Versus - the Stars are Insane
Pavement - S & E
BTS - Perfect from Now On

Post Edited (02-17-06 17:53)
February 17, 2006 11:37PM
Prolapse - The Italian Flag - now there's one that belongs on the underrated list. A great album.

NP at my house:

Rachel Goswell - Waves are Universal
John Foxx & Louis Gordon - The Pleasures of Electricity
Courtney Love - America's Sweetheart
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login