Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Atomic Kitten

Atomic Kitten
February 11, 2006 03:35PM
Okay - I'd been vaguely aware of Atomic Kitten, and assumed they were just a quasi-Spice Girls group that were never able to cross the pond from England to the US and I never gave them much thought. But now, while reading OMD's Wikipedia entry, I've learned that they were the brainchild of Andy McCluskey. So now I'm kind of interested in finding out more about them - were they pretty much just McCluskey chasing a fast buck, or was there anything actually worthwhile about them?

Any Atomic Kitten experts out there?
February 12, 2006 06:21PM
Not an expert, never really cared much for them. They were exactly a "quasi-Spice Girls group" as you described them. Disposable pop, really. They did a cover of Blondie's "The Tide is High" which was listenable because they barely deviated from the original. They were pretty and charming girls though and you could like them for that.

February 12, 2006 08:54PM
Guess I was just hoping some latent OMD-ness might be apparent in their music. But since late-period OMD barely sounded like OMD anymore, I guess that was hoping for too much.

I did see somewhere that McCluskey and Humphries had reunited and were planning a new OMD album for sometime this year. Hard to tell how those things might go - belated reunions are notoriously bad, but heck, when I think about it, most of the bands from that era who've gotten back together have actually done fairly well for themselves - Blondie, Soft Boys, Echo & the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears, etc...none of them did anything that measured up to their original stuff, but by the same token none of them really did anything to be embarrassed about, either. Even Duran Duran's most recent album with all its original members was pretty enjoyable. So I've got my fingers crossed for OMD.
February 12, 2006 11:46PM

>
> Disposable pop, really. They did a cover of Blondie's "The Tide
> is High" which was listenable because they barely deviated from
> the original.

the original was by the paragons...
February 13, 2006 02:05PM
nuthin on AK here, but as far as reunions go...........
I heard Todd Rundgren is going to front the Cars for an arena tour????????
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login