Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What to cover, what to cover ... Damn, man, what to cover?

What to cover, what to cover ... Damn, man, what to cover?
January 18, 2012 02:53PM
What songs by TP artists would you like to hear covered by more mainstream artists?

Yeah, I know; to some, the very suggestion borders on apostasy. But Kay's suggestion about Meat Loaf covering "Black Monk Theme" (on the 21st century muzak thread) suggests that this could come up with some weird, challenging, or perhaps hilarious results.

I've mentioned on a thread here that I'd like to hear Britney Spears cover "This Year's Girl."

January 18, 2012 03:05PM

I want to hear Coldplay take a crack at "Turn On The News" - that'll learn them to think they can do anything with pianos......

January 18, 2012 03:07PM
Since Sugar used to play "Armenia City in the Sky," I think the Who should return the favor with one of Mould's compositions. Maybe "Celebrated Summer," or "Too Far Down" with Townshend singing.

I think Pink Floyd should reunite and play the Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin in its entirety.
January 18, 2012 03:16PM
Well, I don't know if I would actually "like" to hear it, but if I had the power to influence material chosen by American Idol contestants, I would steer them towards the Prefab Sprout or Aztec Camera songbooks. If there's any song lurking out there with the potential to be the next "Hallelujah," it's "When Love Breaks Down."

it truly is a mystery to me why Paddy MacAloon or Roddy Frame remain undiscovered by the Susan Boyles of the world (or their handlers, anyway). The Prefab Sprout and Aztec Camera catalogs are full of exquisitely crafted songs that would not seem to be dependent on being performed by the original artist to work (in contrast to Elvis Costello's songbook, for example) and could be turned into big over-the-top show stoppers that miss the point of the original songs but get rapturous audience reaction, which is the trade-off they're all looking for anyway.

I know my respect for all the American Idol wannabes or the singer-songrwriters who still rely on familiar covers rather than their own material to get the biggest reaction at their shows (I'm looking at you, Brandi Carlile) would triple if they would all retire "Hallelujah," "Just Like Heaven," "Mad World," "Perfect Day" and "Creep" and trot out "Appetite" or "Pillar to Post" instead.
January 18, 2012 06:33PM
I've thought for some time that The Buzzcocks' "You Say You Don't Love Me" is really a lounge finger-snapper perfect for someone like Tony Bennett. Think about it.
January 18, 2012 06:46PM
I would have loved to have heard REM (the latter-day version) cover the Go-Betweens' "Streets of Your Town."

Adele covering the Blow Monkeys' "Digging Your Scene"? I'd purchase that.

Post Edited (01-18-12 14:54)
January 18, 2012 07:26PM
The Muppets have already covered the Talking Heads - I think they should take on They Might Be Giants next. How about "Ana Ng?" Sung by Fozzie, I think.
January 18, 2012 10:25PM
CSNY doing Paul Kelly's Look So Fine Feel So Low
January 19, 2012 03:40PM
I've always thought that if Kate Bush covered "The Way Love Used To Be", by the Kinks, she could have at least another big UK hit.
zoo
January 19, 2012 05:47PM
I would like to hear somebody, anybody cover Split Enz' "Under the Wheel" just to see who would have the guts to try and match Phil Judd's unhinged vocal performance. John Lydon or Peter Hammill could probably pull it off, but they are by no means mainstream.

Post Edited (01-19-12 16:04)
January 20, 2012 08:41PM
I've always wanted to hear Michael Buble doing Black Randy's "I Slept In An Arcade."
January 31, 2012 02:42PM

The Muppets have already covered the Talking Heads - I think they should take on They Might Be Giants next. How about "Ana Ng?" Sung by Fozzie, I think.

Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem covering "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" would make me happy.
February 01, 2012 04:30PM
Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem covering anything would make me happy.

Can you picture that?
January 21, 2012 12:03AM
arctic monkeys do sister ray
January 22, 2012 04:22PM
During the era of the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles I thought a cover of The Rolling Stones' "Street Fighting Man" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (being that they were the biggest band from L.A. at that time) would have been especially relevant.

Now that we have the occupy movement on the streets around the country this song seems to be bubbling up in my consciousness again. I am not sure who would be the band to cover it now though. The Red Hots aren't exactly on the cusp of the cultural zeitgeist these days...
January 22, 2012 10:58PM
Hey Jothoma! Long time no see! Welcome back.
BCE
January 23, 2012 11:01AM
Hearing The Civil Wars cover "Fairytale of New York" would be surreal.

Katy Perry doing "Something I Learned Today."

And it might be weird to hear Adele cover "Song For Elizabeth Cotton."
ira
January 31, 2012 02:09AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login