Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bands that will make you gay

Bands that will make you gay
December 14, 2011 06:07PM
According to this list:

http://lovegodsway.org/GayBands

George Strait! Ted Nugent! Toby Keith! Beware!

Don't forget to check the list of "safe" bands as well. TPers will no doubt be happy to know Cheap Trick will not make you gay.

Post Edited (12-14-11 15:46)
Re: Bands that will make you guy
December 14, 2011 06:33PM
This was making the rounds back in '07; the consensus was that it was a hoax:
[blog.wfmu.org]

Weirdly tho, the site you posted shows that it's been updated recently; he's putting an awful lot of work into this if it's just a hoax...
December 14, 2011 07:07PM
Oh, it's obviously fake. It's an anti-gay conversion site the same way The Colbert Report is a conservative commentary show.
December 15, 2011 04:37AM
bob dylan n tom waits of course makes everyone gay.
those feminine voices will do that to ya
December 14, 2011 08:36PM
"the consensus was that it was a hoax."

So you're saying these bands won't actually make you gay (*puts Erasure album back on the hi-fi*)?
December 14, 2011 08:48PM
Ted Nugent will. The loincloth thing, y'know.
December 14, 2011 09:15PM
Listening to Belle and Sebastian wont make you gay, but it might make you more androgynous and gentle.
They have it backwards...
December 15, 2011 12:21AM
Listening to Coldplay won't make you gay, but it is an indicator of homosexuality.
Re: They have it backwards...
December 15, 2011 12:29AM
prince's pink cashmere works

December 14, 2011 09:36PM

So you're saying these bands won't actually make you gay
It's the site that's the hoax. But oh yes, they WILL make you gay. Just like when I played my heavy metal records and the backwards masking made me worship Satan and kill my parents. I hate when that happens.
December 14, 2011 11:36PM

Just like when I played my heavy metal records and the backwards masking made me worship Satan and kill my parents.

Worshipping Satan and killing our parents is a phase we all grow out of eventually.
December 16, 2011 04:17AM
Yeah, Hollow, but what if I'm 46 and I still worship Satan and want to kill my parents even though my parents are already dead?
December 16, 2011 10:53AM
Then you're just feeling nostalgic for that gay sound. Eventually, that sound will come back in a more "less gay, but more Gay" version, starting with an Old Navy ad. And then you can kill your parents over and over again to that sweet sound.

On a slightly serious note, I grew up and still live in Oklahoma. Norman now, but Yukon for my childhood. We moved there when I was 7, and my parents, who used to take us to church every Sunday morning when we lived in Warr Acres, said we wouldn't be doing that in Yukon. They were too "weird abut religion" for my parents' taste. Yukon used to be the city with the most churches per capita than any other American city, and although this has changed, back then, rock music *was* looked at as something that could make you gay, or at least Satanic. The churches used to send lists of evil records and artists home with my friends, and their parents would make sure none of that stuff existed in their homes. Even though I knew the whole thing was crap at 8-9 years old, the thing I laughed at out loud the most at the time was the inclusion of DEVO: Evil, Satanic and Gay because it "promoted Evolution". They also hated Styx for the name alone, which probably saved a bunch of people from listening to them for a while. At least up until that damned robot song.

Country songs about drinking and cheating were nowhere to be seen on the lists.

("Evil, Satanic and Gay" is, I believe, a record label out of Croydon.)
December 16, 2011 09:29PM

Yeah, Hollow, but what if I'm 46 and I still worship Satan and want to kill my parents even though my parents are already dead?

I highly recommend that you read "Chicken Soup for the Satanic, Homocidal, Middle-Aged Orphan's Soul."

S'good.
December 14, 2011 10:51PM
I didn't get to view the list, because of the firewall at my office. So I have no idea who's on the list, let alone if seeing or listening to them could pose such a danger to one's sexual orientation. But considering that I saw Liberace when I was 18, and have experienced no confusion in that department, I don't think I'll worry.
December 15, 2011 04:58AM
I'm gay.

Am I the only one?
December 15, 2011 05:31AM
I love that Cheap Trick is listed as one of the "Safe" bands. I guess pedophilia (Daddy Should have Stayed in School) and Suicide (Auf Wiedersehen) and getting high and listening to Kiss records is OK by them.
December 15, 2011 02:39PM
This is not the most enlightened thread we have ever had on TP.
December 15, 2011 04:01PM
"This is not the most enlightened thread we have ever had on TP."

I hate to say it, but it's not the "least" either.

Post Edited (12-15-11 12:04)
December 15, 2011 10:56PM
erikalbany wrote:

>> "This is not the most enlightened thread we have ever had on
>> TP."
>
> I hate to say it, but it's not the "least" either.

It's right up there, for sure.
December 15, 2011 11:02PM
i have both gay dad records
so i asked my eldest son his opinion:

jonas brothers
john mayer
jason mraz

December 15, 2011 11:18PM
I saw Gay Dad, opening for the Pretenders. Good band, but not good enough to change my orientation.

December 17, 2011 12:27AM
erikalbany- this is not the most enlightened thread we have ever had"

in the last few days i have stole this quote whenever a conversation has been stupid. to say this is the most enlightening conversation i have had in a long time" and would proceed to leave. leaving the other individuals in confusion.
thanks
December 17, 2011 07:09PM
Not Rickie Lee Jones?
December 17, 2011 12:47AM
Hmmm, I never thought much about this topic, but I'm glad I didn't have parents who hammered down on my musical tastes out of fear that the music itself was Satanic, or might possibly cause confusion about my sexual orientation. (They did sometimes criticize my choice of music on the grounds that they didn't like it, but that's fair game.)
December 17, 2011 01:18AM
delvin. most of my friends and my family will gang up on me and tell me my musical taste downright sucks. now i like most of the things they like also but if i play anything thats not mainstream they will criticize to no end.
when i say not manstream the clash would qualify as crap music to them.
if i had regular vanilla taste in music i would have still been married had 3 kids and probably would have more money but a more boring life
December 17, 2011 01:27AM
The majority of my formative years were spent in and around Austell, GA. Which you Cormac McCarthy fans will recognize as being about 8 miles west of Atlanta (see chapter 1 1965's The Orchard Keeper). While attending my 8th grade typing class, I noticed a book in the storage space beneath my typewriter:

Backward Masking Unmasked

I really wish I could share this book with each and every one of you. You really have to read it for yourself. Once I realized one of my classmates had intentionally placed the book there for me to find, I loved it all the more.

The point being: 3 years later (and 5 miles west of Atlanta) I attended my first Erasure concert...and I loved it.
December 17, 2011 12:45PM
"Well, I'm jest goin as fer as Austell."
December 17, 2011 02:00AM
I attended my first Erasure concert a few months ago, and loved it.
December 17, 2011 01:52PM
Wow. I read that book, too. There was also a regional TV show that featured this stuff, starring a guy who looked like a cross between Dennis De Young and that guy who painted all the "happy, fluffy clouds".

I saw Erasure on the Abba-esque tour in St. Louis, and once in Dallas at a gay club, the name of which I can't recall, but it would have been around 1989. Happiest concerts ever. The women threw underwear at Bell both times, which I thought was hilarious. Strangely, the same sort of crowd was at the one Indigo Girls concert I went to, but they were much more solemn.
December 17, 2011 02:17PM
::that guy who painted all the "happy, fluffy clouds". ::

Bob Ross.

Post Edited (12-17-11 10:18)
December 24, 2011 07:02AM
strange how the TP fills MT spots in my subconscious (word). this

fuck the spell check...enjoy this

Old Tennessee Volunteer music

December 25, 2011 04:10AM
I finally got around to viewing that list, and it's one of the funniest things I've perused in a while. To think that someone could put together a list that includes Toby Keith, Kate Bush, Metallica, Slipknot, The Velvet Underground, Pink and 30 Seconds to Mars (and so many others) and state that these all are "gateway bands" to making a person gay ... Jeez, that's funny.

And they call Morrissey "questionable." (Well, no doubt he'd agree.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login