Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Peter Case live

Peter Case live
November 12, 2011 11:36PM
What is he like in concert? All solo materials? Some Nerves/Plimsouls? I have his complilation, but don't really know his work well, but he's playing Tuesday at the Iota Club and Cafe, a very nice place just outside DC in easy Metro access.
November 12, 2011 11:49PM
he was great in concert. kind of a bluesman folky alt country troubador.
he did mix in some plimsouls songs . maybe 2 or 3. supposedly he is doing more of them now. nice mix of a man who hasnt forgotten his past but is no nostalgia act.

i urge you also to check out matthew ryan n the red needles on friday.
im seeing him on the 19th in nyc.
November 13, 2011 02:14AM
I've seen him 4-5 times, and he's fantastic each time -- once was The Plimsouls Reunion, which was great. Very personable, nice guy. He has been recently playing with a band that includes Steve Goulding, from The Rumour and Mekons.
November 13, 2011 11:45PM
Thanks for all the endorsements, guys.
November 13, 2011 06:16PM
Never had the pleasure of seeing him live, but I'd love to have your dilemma. Honestly, I don't even listen to the Plimsouls stuff anymore. His solo albums are just so much better. He nearly died 2-3 years ago of heart disease, so it's a wonder he's still alive and able to perform/tour.
November 14, 2011 02:10PM
I saw him at our local folk club about 10 years ago supporting the Six Pack of Love - great show, a good mix of songs from his solo records, plus "A Million Miles Away." I remember being really impressed with what a good guitarist he is.

Saw a Plimsouls reunion show at SXSW several years later, but was undergoing a kidney stone attack at the time and don't remember much (though I stuck it out 'til the end before heading to the hospital).

Saw him again play the Pop Culture Press party at SXSW just a few years ago, just prior to his heart problems, fronting a rhythm section. He didn't look well - overweight, seemed to be eager but struggling. Not my favorite show by him, but, as I said, he was clearly unwell.

I'd love to see him play again, but missed him last time he was in Austin on the Dig tour. I've really dug his last few records (Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John, Dig, The Case Files, the Breakaways collection) and I bet now that's he healthy he's firing on all cylinders.
November 16, 2011 01:47AM
Peter Case last night was good, and the show demonstrated just how incredibly little I know of his work. First off, he looks ... well, old, and shaggy. Second, the voice is definitely the same as the solo material from the Vanguard compilation I own and enjoy, Who's Gonna Go Your Crooked Mile, but unless I am mistaken he didn't play a single track from that comp. He did a good song about Jesus ("Words in Red," I think), a harrowing song about a homeless Navy veteran ("Poor Old Tom"), covers of Dylan, Leadbelly, Chuck Berry, and Blind Willie McTell, and a very nice love song that he said was in the soundtrack to a vampire show on TV. Nothing I knew from the Plimsouls, although I talked about them periodically. He started the set on electric, with a local drummer, but I far preferred him on the acoustic guitar. As a storyteller, he is an ace - there was a creepily hilarious bit about a set of tour dates in New Jersey that included staying at the home of a promoter, which was full of pigs. It was weird enough that it must've been true.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login