Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Missed Opportunities

Missed Opportunities
January 20, 2006 12:02AM
I've always been bummed that legal problems prevented Robert Fripp and Debbie Harry from recording their version of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" for Fripp's EXPOSURE album. That stands as the planned but never recorded track that I would most love to have heard.
January 20, 2006 12:05AM
Missed opportunities? I regret that the Big Star tribute album planned for years was shelved a long while ago....
January 20, 2006 02:02AM
Bob Stinson not getting to play on "Pleased to Meet Me". It's a great album without him, but with him, it coulda been mind blowing......I mean anybody who's heard the demos from the sessions he played on before getting the boot knows what I mean. They're just awesome.

January 31, 2006 02:52AM
There are too many cases of ego, stupidity or drugs killing the golden goose.
Topper Headon's heroin addiction was the beginning of the end for the Clash when they were the biggest band in the world. Mick Jones diva-esque behavior didn't help matters much either.

If the Clash stayed together, U2 would be looked upon as a great band but they certainly wouldn't have the stature they do today. The Clash would occupy that spot.

Keith Moon's death (and condition leading up to it) prematurely ended The Who, John and Paul's ego conflicts killed off the most golden of golden geese, etc.
January 31, 2006 07:22PM
Ron Wood and Rod Stewart splitting up. Neither was ever the same.

Johnny Marr's whole career.
February 01, 2006 03:05AM
Not to split hairs, but, the Clash had no qualms about using multiple drummers. Their 83 tour used Pete Howard successfully. The 82 tour used Chimes successfully. Topper played on the majority of the studio releases but wasn't a permanent member.

Great drummer but my pick for best punk drummer
DJ Bonebrake

February 01, 2006 04:26PM
Mr. Superfreak himself Rick James was in an early lineup of Buffalo Springfield with Neil Young. What the hell did THAT sound like?! (imagines funk-AY version of "Heart of Gold")
February 01, 2006 06:17PM

(imagines funk-AY version of "Heart of Gold")
Mesh Analysis:
Tune of Neil but replace the 3/4 bass guitar and bass-drum-stomp with the slap-bass of Rick and a 4-on-the-floor disco beat, then:

I wanna dance
I want the funk
I've been a miner for a kinky girl
I've been to Hollywood
I've been to Redwood
I'll cross the dancefloor for a kinky girl
Been out of my mind
I snort the fat line
It keeps me funky with the kinky girl
And I'm getting stoned

Post Edited (02-01-06 14:19)
February 02, 2006 04:13AM

> Mr. Superfreak himself Rick James was in an early lineup of
> Buffalo Springfield with Neil Young. What the hell did THAT
> sound like?! (imagines funk-AY version of "Heart of Gold")

[www.thrasherswheat.org]
February 02, 2006 04:32PM
Paganizer, I'm bobbing around my office cubicle singing. Ow!

Thanks for that satch, that's amazing - there ARE tapes (recorded by Motown, no less) of Neil & Rick's band. Amazed they haven't been bootlegged.
February 02, 2006 09:54AM
I've heard that Debbie Harry and Sting flirted a duet once. Would have been pop heaven or a disaster, I supose we'll never know. I agree with the DJ Bonebreak comment as best punk/rock drummer!
February 02, 2006 04:58AM
Bobby Fuller
Duane Allman
Berry Oakley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login