Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Apartments

The Apartments
August 09, 2011 08:16PM
Just got the weekly new release email from Parasol Records and see that the Apartments have released their first new album since 1998. They're a band I've never actually heard but have always been interested in due to their tangential connections to the Go-Betweens and Triffids. Anyone (Aitch...?) got the skinny on them? Are they worth checking out and if so, where would be the best place to start?

Post Edited (08-10-11 10:42)
BCE
Re: The Apartments
August 10, 2011 12:12PM
I'm ashamed to admit I still only know about them because of "The Shyest Time" from the Some Kind of Wonderful s/t. That's where most people first heard of them.
August 10, 2011 02:45PM
I've got A Life Full of Regrets. I've always liked it but never really loved it. I probably haven't given it enough spins over the years for it to really take hold. If you dig the aforementioned Go-Betweens and (especially) the Triffids, you'll probably dig the Apartments as well.

I'm interested in the new one - maybe new music will kick me off the fence.

Edit: It's just a 45, I see. Not enough to get me to spend 9 bucks. But I'll still keep an ear out.

Post Edited (08-10-11 11:48)
August 10, 2011 02:54PM
Just a 45? Well, that's anticlimactic for an announcement of "First New Release since 1998!" touted by Parasol.

But still, I'm interested in whether the old stuff is worth checking out. Sounds like "eh, why not?"
August 10, 2011 02:57PM
A Life Full of Regrets can usually be found fairly cheap. Definitely worth taking a chance on, I think.

Of course, I say that about nearly all Australian bands. I don't know what it is about that country's rock that I feel such a kinship with. What's in the water down there, Aitch?

Hell, I'm listening to an Australian band (Wagons) right now.
August 10, 2011 06:20PM
Package Tours that'll never be:

The Apartments
The Rentals
The Flatmates
August 10, 2011 10:54PM
I never saw 'em but used to listen to Drift a bit, back in the day. Pretty nice and jangly, wouldn't have been out of place on Postcard.

I did see Peter Milton-Walsh's between bands project Out Of Nowhere who were much much darker and put out a great single and vanished.
August 11, 2011 12:49PM
"Wouldn't have been out of place on Postcard" - now there is a recommendation that I can get excited about. I'll definitely track down their old stuff now.

I'm planning to be in Champaign/Urbana on Saturday, so hopefully Parasol will have some of the old stuff in stock.
August 21, 2020 12:17PM
9 years later.....

Am I going senile or did TP once have an entry for The Apartments? confused smiley

Anyway, following up the brilliant album from 2015, Peter Milton Walsh has another one coming out next month. Check it out.

[www.theapartments-music.com]
August 21, 2020 01:16PM
I too thought there was an entry, but there is not. I intend to correct that in the near future, as I’ve become a big fan in the last few years.
Reply Quote
August 21, 2020 01:44PM
I'll have more to say when I do the entry, but I will say this: few songwriters do grief as well as Peter Milton Walsh. He lost his son to a rare auto-immune disease back in 1999 (hence the long wait between albums), and addressed in a very beautiful but matter-of-fact way on "Twenty One" and "Swap Places" on No Song No Spell No Madrigal. Having just lost my beloved niece to leukemia this week, I found the latter pretty devastating when it came on the live Apartments album (Live at L'Ubu) I've been listening to of late. But it's a good devastation - coming from a very real place, and one that I can certainly relate to right now. That kind of sadness is comforting right now.
Reply Quote
August 21, 2020 02:19PM
Sorry to hear about your niece, Michael.

"Twenty One" is particularly tough to listen to, but now that I know the loss behind it it's even more devastating.
ira
August 21, 2020 02:06PM
MT - please do!
Reply Quote
August 21, 2020 02:27PM
The goal is to play catch up on my currently published entries (which will be particularly challenging for prolific MFs like the Black Watch, the Green Pajamas, and Steven Wilson), then start on some new ones (the Apartments, the Chamber Strings, Coliseum, the Music Lovers, the Coffee Sergeants). I know I'm not the only one, so it makes me wonder if we should start a thread with our intentions, so there aren't conflicts.
Reply Quote
ira
August 21, 2020 02:06PM
MT - please do!
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login