Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The world has room for....

The world has room for....
August 03, 2011 03:23AM
...at least 25 more albums along the lines of TPOH's Love Junk. Weird Al with simple, yet enormous, E-string guitar riffs, female harmonies, and adult themes of yearning and despair. So where are they?
August 04, 2011 05:37PM
Well, there's One-Sided Story and the Downward Road.
August 06, 2011 12:24AM
Speaking of TPOH, I came across this on YouTube - the original version of "I'm An Adult Now." I didn't realize there was an original version. I think I like the guitar solo in this version better.
August 06, 2011 02:00AM
I miss that band.
August 06, 2011 02:39PM
Me too. I listened to Love Junk last night for the first time in years while driving around. A timeless record. What a songwriter Moe Berg is.
August 07, 2011 02:29AM
I love it so much. It is truly one of a kind though. I cant bring myself to hunt down and listen to their sophmore record based on the TP review:

"One-Sided Story is as disastrous an example of the sophomore jinx as has been heard in modern rock...."
August 07, 2011 12:18PM
One-Sided Story is definitely not as good as Love Junk, but it's not nearly the disaster the TP review makes it out to be. I think it's worth your time. The Downward Road is almost as great as the debut. It's the LPs after those first three that show a big fall in quality, as far as I'm concerned.
August 07, 2011 12:24PM
Love Junk gets better as it goes, but the first 2-3 songs aren't that good. I remember the disappointment upon hearing them, but a good mixtape/CD takes care of that.
August 07, 2011 06:05PM
Completely f****d that post up. I meant One-Sided Story. Love Junk bashes all the way through, and has one of its best songs as a CD-only track: "Down on Him". I don't think OSS comes to life until either "Something Physical" or "No Safe Place". "Shave Your Legs" is a beautiful song.

Post Edited (08-07-11 15:06)
August 08, 2011 02:16AM
I quite like "New Language," but you're right in that OSS starts fairly weakly. I've always despised "Food" (there seems to be one sexually charged turkey on every TPOH album) and thought "Two Girls in One" was fairly uninspired.
August 07, 2011 02:16PM
I disagree Blasmo. I cant think of too many pop records with 4 stronger starters than:

1."Hard to Laugh" (2:38)
2."Ten Fingers" (2:53)
3."I'm an Adult Now" (4:25)
4."She's So Young" (3:34)
August 07, 2011 04:10PM
Agreed. I think the first three songs are the best tunes on the album.
August 07, 2011 08:55PM
the world has room for a modern day nick lowe.
im not sure about this statement but "the world has room for a modern day billy joel". we need a guy who can write a pop song which could be a standard and can play piano.
August 07, 2011 05:19PM
The world also has room for an Arctic Monkeys comeback--who else would have the line "was it a mecca dobber or a betting pencil"?
August 08, 2011 12:07PM
The world apparently has room for a TPOH boxed set.

> The world also has room for an Arctic Monkeys comeback--

Have you heard Suck It and See yet? The world definitely should make room for it. Big improvement over Humbug, IMO.

> the world has room for a modern day nick lowe.

The world has one. His name is Nick Lowe.

> the world has room for a modern day billy joel

I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, and regrettably, it's only a matter of time before the world hears him.

August 08, 2011 08:41PM
"I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, and regrettably, it's only a matter of time before the world hears him."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! Thank you for that.
August 09, 2011 05:38PM
Nick Lowe is opening for Wilco this fall.
August 09, 2011 05:49PM
The world definitely has room for another Wilco. (Although I wouldn't care to see one Wilco opening a show for the other. That'd make Tweedy seem awfully narcissistic.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login