Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Very Strange Phenomenon: Imposter Bands

Very Strange Phenomenon: Imposter Bands
June 13, 2011 08:29PM
I believe it was on this board that someone mentioned a fake Frankie Goes To Hollywood playing American county/state fairs. Turns out there was also a fake Redbone (!) touring and imposter Zombies have apparently been around for years. And supposedly there's a fake Little River Band on the fair circuit, as well - check the comments here. Also, there's a raft of fake doo-wop groups.

What the hell...Are there other fake bands out there? How do these imposters arrive at these particular bands to impersonate? And why?!

Post Edited (06-13-11 17:31)
June 14, 2011 03:28AM
Why the hell would anyone want to be a fake Redbone? That would seem to be on par with being a Bill Bixby impersonator. How much of a market is there for that?
August 15, 2011 04:10PM

Why the hell would anyone want to be a fake Redbone? That would seem to be on par with being a Bill Bixby impersonator. How much of a market is there for that?

Questions like that ... make me ... angry.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Perhaps there are some lonely Lou Ferrigno impersonators out there? What fun is Mr. Hyde without Doctor Jekyll?

Would Interpol count as Chameleons UK impersonators, or are you exempt if it's only your debut album's entire guitar sound? Basically.

That 25-year anniversary reissue of Script of the Bridge is decent. The lyrics in the booklet aren't especially accurate ( although Burgess throws a few anecdotes at each tune), and the sound is no huge upgrade. The German live show included isn't too bad.

25 years? What the hell happened?
June 14, 2011 05:19AM
read the articles on fake bands breno. it says they are getting paid 6,500 dollars to do a state fair.
June 14, 2011 08:34AM
edit: i'm all for touring as a fake Damned or Husker Du; takers?

Post Edited (08-22-11 21:07)
June 14, 2011 11:33AM
Can you believe the nerve of this fake band? They call themselves the Australian Pink Floyd! Such copycats. And they got Roger Waters and David Gilmour to endorse them. Just kiddin. Yeah, I'm just blurring the line between fake and tribute.
June 14, 2011 12:44PM
I'm thinking about those bogus VH-1 "Behind The Music" bits from SNL.

... with someone who was posing as the drummer from Def Leppard ... but the arm he was hiding inside his t-shirt kept pokin' out. I think that eventually, he realized that the charade was exposed and he turned tail and fled.

Missing Limb Humor. Always a crowd pleaser. Like all these surplus "weiner" jokes. What a bumper crop! You know it's bad when you hear little old ladies telling them in the checkout line at the grocery store.
June 14, 2011 12:49PM
> How do these imposters arrive at these particular bands to impersonate? And why?!

Rebel already hit on the answer to the second question. These bands can make more money and carve out more of a niche for themselves than they could with their own identities and their own musical ideas.

As to the former question: in the article I read about the fake Frankie Goes To Hollywood, the writer posited that the usurping band must've known enough about the actual FGTH — its history and personalities, as well as its music — to decide it would've been unlikely that the real band's members could bury their various hatchets long enough to cooperate in a cease-and-desist action. (And indeed, it did take them a couple years.)

I imagine that a lot of these bogus bands gamble on that same likelihood — that the originals won't muster the juice to take action against the imposters.

Or maybe Rebel answered that first question too: Perhaps some of the original bands have reached agreements with the touring acts. In such cases, they aren't usurping the originals' identities, but simply renting them.

June 14, 2011 01:11PM
"I can do Lou Reed better than anyone." - Lou Reed
June 14, 2011 03:20PM

they are getting paid 6,500 dollars to do a state fair.

That's to do three shows - $2166 per night, split 4 or 5 ways comes to maybe $500 per musician, minus equipment purchases, travel, hotels....I dunno, seems like a lot of work for that kinda money. If you're gonna be dishonest, might as well just stay home, call old ladies and try to swindle 'em. Would be much less hassle for a bigger payday.
June 15, 2011 04:42PM
Just found an article on the Terry Jacks impersonator -
he was actually a rather nasty con man.

Post Edited (06-15-11 13:58)
June 15, 2011 04:52PM
Wow. That is an interesting article! I am really interested in this snippet:

"The Jacques/Jacks scenario isn’t exactly what Rep. Jim Riesberg had in mind when he introduced a “Truth in Music” bill to crack down on fake music groups in the Colorado legislature this week."

Is the government actually trying to crack down on impostor bands, for reals? They dont even crack down on impostor investment banks and hedge funds.
June 14, 2011 05:55PM
I posted about the fake bands playing at our county fair last year:

http://trouserpress.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=29722&t=29678

This year's fair fare (now in progress) is just as unappetizing:

http://www.sdfair.com/index.php?fuseaction=concerts.glance

The current calendar includes:

o A Pat Benatar tribute band
o A Doors tribute band
o A Michael Jackson tribute band
o A Jimmy Buffett tribute band
o An ABBA tribute band
o A Cars tribute band
o A Johnny Cash tribute band

I note there are fewer tribute bands this year than last year.

June 14, 2011 05:59PM
A Pat Benatar tribute band? This makes me sad. It slightly debases humanity. Like the existence of The Human Centipede.
June 14, 2011 06:34PM
nosepail wrote:

> Like the existence of The Human Centipede.

Man am I sorry that I googled that.
June 14, 2011 06:39PM
I would, however, be interested in Johnny Cash in a Michael Jackson tribute band.

Any crap joke is improved if the punchline is Michael Jackson.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
Michael Jackson

What do you call a sleepwalking nun?
Michael Jackson

How many dyslexics does it take to change a lightbulb?
Michael Jackson

What did the bartender say to the horse?
Michael Jackson?

A priest and a rabbi walk into a bar.
Michael Jackson.

Orange you going to say Michael Jackson?

But now there needs to be a zombie joke in there somewhere...

Post Edited (06-15-11 00:31)
June 14, 2011 10:14PM
A tribute band isn't claiming to be the real, original thing, tho. They're honest in their lameness.
June 15, 2011 02:45PM
This speaks for itself then:

[www.youtube.com]

June 15, 2011 01:17PM
Holy cow! Nile, does the fair's roster of performers include anyone who does his/her own music?

For many years now, Red Rocks has hosted a Beatles tribute band every summer. (The actual band varies from year to year, depending on availability and, I suppose, quality of past shows.) It gets booked on 26 August, the anniversary of the Fab Four's 1964 performance at the venue (or as close to that date as possible).

In the past decade or so, the Red Rocks schedule has included an Abba tribute band each year. I assume this packs the house, or else it would've been dropped by now.

And this year, promoters have booked a Michael Jackson tribute. No telling who will be next.

June 15, 2011 01:21PM
But oh my gosh, what I wouldn't give to see this tribute band! Now we're talkin'!

June 15, 2011 02:47PM
I love this topic. Two things:

a) Has anyone ever heard about the guy who lived his life saying he was Terry Jacks ("Seasons in the Sun")? He didn't even perform, I believe; just went around to bars saying, "Have you ever heard this song? Yeah, that's me. . . I'm the guy."

b) There's an imposter Little River Band??? How low can one stoop? Is that want you want to be remembered for at your funeral? John Smith: Don't know much about him other than he was the bassist in an imposter Little River Band. . .used to always talk in a fake Australian accent.
June 15, 2011 03:18PM

Has anyone ever heard about the guy who lived his life saying he was Terry Jacks ("Seasons in the Sun")? He didn't even perform, I believe; just went around to bars saying, "Have you ever heard this song? Yeah, that's me. . . I'm the guy."

There's also a guy claiming he was a member of the Bay City Rollers (forget his name) who did the same - he didn't perform, would just go around telling people. And this is just in recent years. The actual Roller was interviewed and seemed more amused by it than anything else. He just couldn't imagine why someone would claim to be him: "We haven't been big in 30 years!"
August 14, 2011 09:32PM
Terry Jacques real name was Tim McDonald. He moved back to his home town of York, Pa. soon after he was released from prison. He passed away about a year later from Stomach Cancer. The time he spent in York he released a CD, and all the money made was donated to the local Cancer center.
June 15, 2011 03:22PM
And there's a guy down the chip shop swears he's Elvis!
June 15, 2011 05:20PM
> They dont even crack down on impostor investment banks and hedge funds.

That would be too much work.
June 19, 2011 06:18PM
there's a bad religion tribute band performing in my neck of the woods...
June 19, 2011 08:22PM
"there's a bad religion tribute band performing in my neck of the woods..."

NOFX? Pennywise?
August 15, 2011 07:47PM
Delvin says we can't add any comments to this one, so I'm testing testing...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login