Re: online toy

ira
online toy
May 28, 2010 11:05AM
in case anyone needs a time killer this weekend

[labs.echonest.com]
May 28, 2010 01:55PM
Geez! Robert Wyatt to the Backstreet Boys in 7 steps! Who woulda thought?
May 28, 2010 02:06PM
I had to try that one, too...amazing.

Even more so: 4 steps from Robert Fripp to Celine Dion.
May 28, 2010 02:05PM
I put in the Church (with whom I'm going through one of my periodic obsessions) and John Mayer, thinking that would stump it. Lo and behold, it made a connection. It took 11 steps, but I'm amazed it found one at all.
May 28, 2010 02:52PM
I stumped it:

"Can't find a path from Liberace to Einstürzende Neubauten"
May 28, 2010 04:13PM
Delvin wrote:

> I stumped it:
>
> "Can't find a path from Liberace to Einstürzende Neubauten"

It can't find a path to almost ANYONE from Liberace. Hell, it couldn't find a path from Liberace to Barbra Streisand...and Liberace helped her out by bringing her on as his opening act in Vegas back in 1963.
zoo
May 28, 2010 04:42PM
Yup, it ain't flawless.

It doesn't have a lot of the early Split Enz guys in the database (Emlyn Crowther, Mike Chunn, Rob Gillies, etc). I tried to find a path from Mike Chunn to Tim Finn, and it said it couldn't find Mike Chunn. I tried "Michael" but that didn't work either. So, I went with Noel Crombie instead, and it correctly identified him and Finn as both members of Split Enz. Strangely, though, it took two steps. You'd think it would take just one.
May 28, 2010 04:53PM
Are they going just by musicians? Or are they using producers? I used to play "Six Degrees of Peter Buck" with people.
May 28, 2010 05:05PM
It couldn't find a path from David Bowie to Soupy Sales, either. I was a bit disappointed.

But it went from the Andrea True Connection to GWAR in 16 steps! Can anyone find a longer path?

May 28, 2010 08:21PM
What's funny to me is that sometimes it takes a longer route than it needs to. I put in Dream Theater to Sex Pistols and got this:

[labs.echonest.com]

When all it really needed to do was go from DT to DT guitarist John Petrucci, who played on the G3 tour with Steve Vai, who played on PiL's Album, led by John Lydon, who was of course in the Pistols.

It also insists that Jules Shear was a member of Til Tuesday, which is throwing some of the connections off.
May 28, 2010 05:10PM
If you type in classical composers, it does work. So far, I've gone from Beethoven to the Boredoms in 28 steps.

May 28, 2010 09:16PM

If you type in classical composers, it does work. So far, I've gone from Beethoven to the Boredoms in 28 steps.

"Yeah. It's a 28-step program. Step One is admitting you have a problem with Beethoven and The Boredoms."
May 28, 2010 05:35PM
Television to Justin Bieber: "can't find Justin Bieber."

My faith is restored.
May 28, 2010 05:36PM
Television to Nickelback: 14 steps.
May 28, 2010 07:05PM
Apparently there are 9 steps between Minor Threat and Genesis. I'm sure both parties would be appalled.
May 28, 2010 07:35PM
20 steps from June of 44 to the Beau Brummels (going thru Little Feat!).
May 28, 2010 08:14PM
7 steps from REM circa 2000 to REM circa 1987. Not bad. Would have expected more.
May 28, 2010 08:42PM
Seven steps from J.S. Bach to Lady GaGa. Who would've guessed that such drastic musical degeneration could require so few steps?

Ha-ha! Six steps from Mariah Carey to Drew Carey. Also six from Richard Marx to Groucho.

May 28, 2010 08:49PM
Hmmm, it takes nine steps to get from Metallica to Prince, but only six to go the opposite direction. (I guess James and Lars still are arguing about every step their band takes.)

Ira, thank you for providing so much amusement today!

May 28, 2010 09:10PM
17 steps from Soulside to Steely Dan
13 steps from Cyndi Lauper to GG Allin (and it doesn't include Lou Albano!)
May 28, 2010 11:23PM
The Chills to Bob Marley in 12 steps

which is to say, much more easily than:

The Chills to Gustav Mahler in 8 steps
May 28, 2010 11:44PM
According to the site, it's 18 steps from Jules Shear to Marty Willson-Piper.

[labs.echonest.com]

Never mind that MWP accompanied Shear on his album The Third Party...which is the album cover they show.

Is this what's meant by "too clever by half?"
May 29, 2010 02:16AM
14 steps from Laibach to Bret Michaels.
May 29, 2010 03:35AM
i tried using jandek, hoping to stump it... it considers "various artists" an artist... and thus (as a result of those two jandek tribute albums which were recorded by "various artists") i was able to get from jandek to britney spears in three moves (some dude who played on another album made by "various artists" sang on a spears song), but jandek to captain beefheart took ten...
May 29, 2010 06:50PM
Deicide to Michale Bolton in 10 steps! smiling smiley

RockandRollTribe.com, The Social Network for Veteran Rockers
May 30, 2010 05:47AM
Rick Astley to Steve Albini in 16 steps!
May 30, 2010 06:00AM
HollowbodyKay wrote:

> Rick Astley to Steve Albini in 16 steps!

Otherwise known as the Steve Albini 16 step rickroll.
May 30, 2010 10:40PM
Die Krupps to Foreigner in 6 steps
June 01, 2010 03:52AM
It can't find The Shaggs!

Ha-hah!

What was the title of that song again ... "My Pal Stump Stump?"
December 28, 2011 02:14AM
Slight return.

The thing can't find Wayne County. Just thought you'd all like to know.

[labs.echonest.com]

"Jayne County" stumped it as well. Even though it was only one "easy" step from Wayne to Jayne.
December 29, 2011 07:01PM
My friends and I used to play "Six Degrees of Peter Buck".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login