Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: exile with bonus tracks ?

exile with bonus tracks ?
May 19, 2010 08:28PM
Not in my CD player, you dont!
May 19, 2010 08:30PM
I believe the bonus tracks are on a separate disk, so as not to interrupt the flow of the original album.
May 19, 2010 10:42PM
I'm just going to say it: As a person who finds Exile one of a handful of Stones albums I can appreciate, it doesn't even approach the Burrito's Gilded Palace of Sin, which clearly influenced it in parts. (Keith, a Gram friend and adorer, might even agree with me there.) If you want the real shit you go to the source, not some Londoners poncing through Americana while wearing silk scarves and doing blow and beaujolais in between takes.
May 19, 2010 10:53PM
Yeah there is a podcast right now and Keef talks a little about Gram. I find Exile way too bluesy and soulful (in a music sense) to be compared to The countryish Guilded Palace (an awesome album in its own right.)
May 19, 2010 11:09PM
You're right there, totaji--about the blues slant--but I would argue that Gilded is damn soulful in its own right. It's also interesting, historically, that (pre-Exile) Keef and Mick let the Burritos record "Wild Horses" before their own version came out.

I was first into the Burritos many years ago, and then (predictably) got caught up in the No Depression thing (being a regular writer for the magazine of the same name), but really recently I've re-discovered the Burritos in a new light. I don't think that he was making the Cosmic American Music he aspired to--there was little Blues or Rock but some snatches of Gospel--but it was an incredible confluence of soul and country, with Gram's wobbly little voice conveying so much and Hillman's pitch-perfect harmonies and sensibilities rounding things out.

The Burritos to me, at 41, sound perfect. I've begun to realize that with my myriad responsibilities (five kids and non-music-related research and writing), I can't keep up with the alt-band du jour (and I respect those who can), BUT if I were ever headed to that proverbial desert island (is there a proverb about that yet?) I'd be talking Sonny Liston with Tosches, bowing at the feet of my old boss and pal Robbins, wishing I were as penetratingly analytical as Marcus, calling a designated driver for Bangs, gladly listening to the insightful opinions of the people on this board, and carrying a vinyl Gilded under my arm (while wondering where to find a record player).

Maybe Survivor is played out and "Desert Island Disc" should be the new reality sensation.
May 19, 2010 11:29PM
VERY well put my brother. I meant soulful in a musical sense - as in, if I was to put the song Tumblin Dice into a certain style of music it would be simply Soul. In the traditional sense Gram was VERY soulful and the Burritos were a tremendous band. Guilded Sin stands as one of the great American albums.
May 20, 2010 12:35AM
I'm thinking more about bands back in those formative years of the late 60s/early 70s, Kay, but I appreciate the jab...
May 19, 2010 11:42PM

If you want the real shit you go to the source, not some Londoners poncing through Americana while wearing silk scarves and doing blow and beaujolais in between takes.

Wither the Black Crowes? Oh yeah ... they're not from London! My bad.
May 20, 2010 01:58AM
Exile on Main Street is in my top 5 albums of all time (certain days as high as #2 actually), and the Stones from '68' to '72 are maybe my favorite band of all-time........or at least I consider that the peak run of any Rock artist ('Mats middle 3 and Costello's first 5 being a couple others off the top of my head).

BUT, Exile is not a "song" record really. It's a vibe record, and while I'm curious to hear the bonus tracks, I'm not expecting much from these additional individual tracks.

The previous cd version sounds quite fine already to my ears though I often don't hear things in remasters that other people seem to.

Post Edited (05-19-10 22:59)
May 20, 2010 06:39AM
Your Dad sounds like a very cool man Jcakp
May 20, 2010 03:36AM
my dad and i got into a little disagreement about 'exile' this last weekend at my sisters college graduation party... he's always worshiped 'exile' and took offense to my calling it 'a blob of nothing that the stones barely even played on'... so i guess that i'll be getting this reissue as a christmas present... (but he is a big gram parsons fan and is also the person that introduced me to the velvet underground when i was thirteen so i should probably reconsider)...

the article in the new issue of 'rolling stone' says that while 'exile' may not be the greatest rock n roll album of all time, it is the most rock and roll album of rock and roll... or something like that.... so, i dunno...

erik: that second paragraph was beautiful, man. just beautiful.
May 20, 2010 11:29AM
Regardless, I broke out the CD and have been listening to it all the way through since Monday -- about 5 times so far. It's never sounded better to me as an album, something I wouldn't say about most Rolling Stones records. They're usually collections of songs, but Exile holds together really well as a total package. I'll probably pick this new one up, since I heard some of the bonus stuff and thought it was pretty good myself, although it's weird to hear modern-day Mick try and emulate early 70's Mick. He tries, though, he does try.

What I really love is how this is a way to show the influence of rock critics in shaping discussions. Exile didn't sell that well, but its constant showings in rock's "Best" lists and title-dropping in review after review have really helped sell its rep. And I agree completely. I love the thing, slow bits and all.
zoo
May 20, 2010 12:06PM
If you were to ask me, I'd tell you this is my fav Stones album. That said, I had my CD stolen around 13 years ago and never replaced it. I haven't listened to the album since. I guess it means more to me in theory than it does in practice.

Kind of like (dare I say it)...London Calling. I listened to it the other day for the first time in years. I found myself skipping to the next track at least half the time when I got bored with the current song. It hit me half-way through that I really didn't dig it so much anymore. Had you asked me one minute before listening to it, however, I'd say that it was one of my top 10 albums all time. I don't think I'd make that claim today.
May 20, 2010 07:03PM
It really is my favorite Stones album, with Let It Bleed coming in a close second, and (IMO) that last Stones album to warrant listening to its entirety. It's like a long, winding drive through impressionistic backwoods America. Funny though how large the "made in Keith's basement" legend has loomed. I guess it was - in the same sense that Cheap Trick Live at Budokan was really live, at Budokan.
May 21, 2010 07:12PM
Much like Quadrophenia, I will never, ever tire of Exile. It's a stone cold masterwork. "Torn and Frayed" may be, for me at least, the absolute peak of the Stone's output.

As for the bonus tracks, Plundered My Soul is pretty nifty, as is the proto-Tumbling Dice track "Good Time Woman".

Got the bonus tracks on a separate disk for $10 at Target, btw.

RockandRollTribe.com, The Social Network for Veteran Rockers
May 25, 2010 10:55PM
But in the midst of all the Exile hoopla, this goes unnoticed: [www.rhino.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login