Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Missing albums

Missing albums
February 08, 2010 01:45PM
Any albums that you've misplaced, lost or sold that you miss? Currently I miss Ministry's Land Of Rape & Honey.

Life keeps slipping away....Just one fix, one fix one fix .... just one fix....
February 08, 2010 02:25PM
I have the case for Guided By Voices Bee Thousand with no disc inside, so obviously I stuck it in a different CD case in the car one day and whatever that case was, I've not opened it for years.

I did the same thing with Starfish by the Church, which was missing for years but recently discovered cohabiting with In My Tribe by 10,000 Maniacs, and Yoko Ono Feeling the Space which spent a decade shacked up with Vapourspace Gravitational Arc of Ten.

I hope Bee Thousand turns up soon. It's my favorite GBV album. Guess I could hurry it along by downloading a new version of it, which would guarantee that within a week I would find it stuck in a Trisha Yearwood CD case or something.
February 08, 2010 02:37PM
Wow, what a tragic fate for Kilbey, Piper et all! To be forced to cohabitate with Natalie Merchant for years on end! and in such close quarters....Lordy!

As for Bee Thousand, buy the original. Every home shouldd have one. Skip all this Directors Cut crap. You dont need it.
February 08, 2010 03:48PM
Having a small flood wipe out a few hundred of your favorite albums is a chest crying affair. Replaced most on either CD or download, but, wow, I miss that We're Only in it for the Money paper doll insert.
February 08, 2010 04:00PM
Hmmm, I can't think of any missing albums ... but I remember attending a party, some years ago, at which a drunken guest went to the stereo to change the music. He took the LP off the turntable and flung it across the room. I don't remember what the album was, but I do remember thinking, "If that had been one of my records, the cops would be taking me to the station and booking me for homicide."

zoo
February 08, 2010 05:08PM
I went to my shelf of vinyl albums to pull out Gang of Four's Enterntainment given that I haven't listened to it in about forever...and it wasn't there. Must have unloaded it somewhere along the way, though I cannot understand why I would have done that. Weird.
February 08, 2010 09:29PM
isn't 'just one fix' on 'psalm 69'?
February 08, 2010 09:58PM
See that? I haven't listened to Rape n Honey so long, I forgot what's on it.
February 08, 2010 11:31PM
A friend of mines house burnt down a few years ago and with my help and a few others he has reaquired slowly almost everything he has had on disc.
February 09, 2010 01:35AM
My worst one was a box of singles that got lost in a move. All '80s Australian underground stuff that otherwise will not see the light of day.
I keep thinking about the brilliant compilations I could have made.

Mats! If the David Johansen Group Live cd is a re-release of the picture disc it is indeed 'smoking', I keep meaning to get it transferred to a CD at this nearby place but maybe I should look up the 2004 release.
February 09, 2010 09:47AM
The missing David Jo disc in question :

[www.amazon.com]

The covers are inspired on this album........unbelievably good versions of "Love Child" and, um, the Bonnie Tyler Adult Contemporary hit "It's a Heartache".

Jay
February 10, 2010 02:15AM
I had Alejandro's Escovedo's "A Man Under the Influence" and now I don't. I've scratched my head for years asking myself, where did that disc disappear to?
Jay

February 10, 2010 01:47PM
I went for a few months thinking I'd accidentally sold my copy of E*I*E*I*O's That Love Thang, which ain't easy to find these days and I'd just managed to score for cheap. I was afraid I'd have to pay nosebleed prices for it when I discovered it on my shelf, in the "e's," but filed in the middle of Alejandro Escovedo's discography. Still have no idea how that happened.
February 11, 2010 09:47PM
HOT DAMN! You went and mentioned E*I*E*I*O!

I had both cassettes in high school (or thereabouts) and got "Land Of Opportunity" out of a used CD bin for next to nothing. That was several years ago. What a band!

I do have to sorta lump them in with the "alterna-beer-commercial-bunch" from that era. I'm thinking of The Long Ryders. I'm thinking of The Del Fuegos. There may have been others.

They nearly force me to do so. There are a few tunes on "LOO" that practically beg to serve as the music in a beer commercial.

"Go West" and ""Tear It Down" are the leaders of that pack, if memory serves.

But they had some ace songs. I can't believe that some young country singer hasn't covered one of the ballads off of that debut. All the love they get is from Susannah Hoofs Hoffs?

Criminy.

---

Next up on the "Bargain Bin Chestnuts Roadshow?" Shake & Push by The Morells. It cost me three dollars on CD. If you ever get a chance to see 'em live, DO SO. That D. Clinton is absurdly talented. Sick, in fact.
February 12, 2010 12:57PM
You found Shake & Push for 3 bucks? Lucky bastard.

E*I*E*I*O apparently reuinted recently and put out a new record. I've not heard it.
February 11, 2010 01:22AM
I've lost half of a Mile Davis 70's 2-CD live set when I accidentally put in the case of another CD that I sold. Doh!
Probably been a few other cases I can't remember/blocked from my memory, but so far I've been lucky (knock on wood).
February 08, 2010 10:58PM
David Johansen Group Live - a smoking cd recorded in '78 and released in 2004.

Could literally be anywhere.......

February 09, 2010 12:58AM
I have Peter Himmelman's live disc sitting in my Saturn's CD player. It's been there for six months, I'm trying to sell the car, and the CD player is dead. It may be gone for ever.

I don't know where London Calling is, which bothers me, and Tom Petty's Greatest Hits ended up in my brother's house somehow. For about two years I thought I left my Shawn Colvin covers disc at a library when I was returning borrowed items. It showed up some time later.
February 09, 2010 08:43AM
zwirnm wrote:

> I have Peter Himmelman's live disc sitting in my Saturn's CD
> player. It's been there for six months, I'm trying to sell the
> car, and the CD player is dead. It may be gone for ever.

Find the small round hole on the front of the CD player just big enough for a straightened paper clip to fit into. Straighten out a paper clip and slowly press it into that hole until the player ejects your disc.

ira
February 09, 2010 01:20AM
i have been looking for the Alchemysts record with the guy from Silver Apples for a year....must have filed it somewhere nuts. But what I most regret is losing hold of the paper panties that came with Alice Cooper's School's Out.
February 09, 2010 05:01AM
@rebel
Funny you should say that. A friend of mine out at UofO and I archived each other's collection once or twice a year for years. He used to say one of our houses was going to burn down and the archives would be called into duty. He was a practical jokester type so the day he called and said "I'm in cal and they just told me my house burned down" he had to work to convince me. (electrical fire and he rebuilt on the old property with a major modern deluxe hacienda with a modular sound system)

I hired a moving guy one time that I'm 95% sure ripped of my crate of 60s mono originals (monkees, who, stones, MofI, etc.). A house guest I took pity on also made off with some stuff which was replaceable except for the Kilgour imports and the JSBx with the metal case. Opened best of House of Love the other day to a missing disc. Lost my original Closer (with the Saville cardboard-stock cover) for a couple years. Turned up with my old car keys and several socks. (kidding bout that last line)
February 09, 2010 07:21PM
I assure you, when the UFOs land and the aliens come out, Close Encounters style, they'll hand back the lost disks. Or maybe not.
February 09, 2010 09:38PM
Cheers Mats, it's got more tracks on it than the vinyl, gonna get this for sure.
It's A Heartache seems suited to his voice.
February 13, 2010 09:41PM
I'm currently listening online to various tracks by the Shazam, and now I'm kicking myself for selling off the couple of CDs I had.

Which brings up another possible subject for a thread - the reasons why you suddenly "get" something, or truly appreciate it beyond the superficial, when you hadn't before. I've had this happen to me many times over the years with bands I only casually liked, felt indifferent toward or even hated (Suede, Come, the Divine Comedy and Royal Trux come to mind). I've often wondered if it has to do with being in a certain frame of mind, or a certain time of life, or coming across the artists' influences or precedents and suddenly getting where they're coming from, or what.
February 14, 2010 05:47PM
Moby Grape.
February 15, 2010 05:30AM
I think I've got your Moby Grape album, Erik. Did it have the original poster still in it? I bought it at a pirate-themed junk store in Newport, Oregon, about a month ago for 7 bucks.
February 15, 2010 04:00PM
Chainsaw Kittens - Violent Religion
February 22, 2010 03:33AM
2 da hoop i always say,
in no particular order theres; sam cooks candlelight three wreckerd RCA set, the house of loves 'christine' 12" (no wait, i think i still have that one...) so that leaves a choice between MISSION of BURMAS mini ep of 'signals calls & marches' or dead kennedys 'mutiny' CD
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login