TRIBUTE ALBUMS
May 28, 2004 02:39PM
I especially like Tribute Albums,where today's artistes cover 60s and 70s stuff.
I don't collect just any as so many are for bands I never heard to start with.
Thus "Tribute to Nine Inch Nails" means nothing to me.
There are many fine Beatles and Stones tributes about and the more famous the songs are the easier it is to get into a Tribute Album.
In fact Beatkles tributes are a minor collecting area in their own right
Though theres a couple of Marc Bolan tributes and even a Velvet Underground one there's still a lot to go.
Well over due for the Tribute is Matt Johnson and The The.Sailor and Fox.
Great when you discover one you never knew about or getting a free one like the recent Uncut covermount for the Byrds.
And as a Variant theres the ones which pay tribute to a particular period of a band or solo artiste such as the recent one of music which influenced the Who's Tommy.In this case original recordings are used.
Another kind pay tribute to Nursery Rhymes such as the 4 CD set MOTHER GOOSE ROCKS and where the session singers take cod names to give a clue as to who is being "impersonated" Thus Mad Donna,Serene Begone or Ben Folds Laundry!

Richard Astley-Clemas
LMG
Re: TRIBUTE ALBUMS
June 03, 2004 11:22AM
Personally I feel that the free ones tend to devalue the concept of tribute albums because there are so many. There were three Velvet Underground tributes, were there not? Heaven and Hell vol 1-3, with Nirvana, Bill Nelson, James, New Fast Automatic Daffodils, The Wedding Present, Screaming Trees, etc.

The Neil Young one 'The Bridge' was very good. The Pixies did a version of 'Winterlong' - in fact, it is in their current live set. What puzzles me is that the trib producers for classic rock 70's bands seem to rely on a core of musicians for their tribute albums - Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, etc tributes all seem to have John Wetton, Glenn Hughes, Adam Wakeman, etc on them. Given that we now know that a lot of the musicians who emerged from punk/new wave were influenced by those bands, I would like to hear Keith Levine playing guitar on a Yes tribute, John Lydon singing Pete Hammill songs or something from Kevin Coyne's "Marjory Razorblade", Jim Kerr singing 'Watcher of the Skies', Captain Sensible on a Soft Machine tribute. Now THAT I would pay for!

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones." - John Peel
June 07, 2004 11:38PM
No doubt there will be a Bad Girl compilation though I never heard of it.There has been one however of Dedicated tracks put out just before the Family Cat signed

Richard Astley-Clemas
June 05, 2004 01:22AM
I heard there was a 30 cut compilation release of all the BAD GIRL label recordings. You know, like the SQUIRRELS did back way back in"96.

What a country.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login