Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: speaking of obscurities

speaking of obscurities
December 17, 2008 12:30AM
In the 90's it was Velvet Crush,Pulsars & Vulgar Boatmen
the 80's gave us Green, Elvis Brothers & Wold Domination ent
And in the 70's we had the Dics 'go girl crazy' , Anthony More & Sparks.

i spent the 60's collecting wacky packs, getting hit by baseballs thrown by lousy elementary school pitchers and raiding carports for empty soda pop bottles. So I don't really know, but there must have been many great obscurities during this, the sixties.

Someone mentioned THE ACTION once around here.

must be more...
December 17, 2008 12:36AM
indeed... this is one of my favorites.

Enjoy yr evening Steve; I'm off the bar to see what the kids are up to tonight.

cheers!

Post Edited (12-16-08 20:37)
December 17, 2008 12:39AM
duncan browne
billy fay
randy holden
the outsiders (holland)
equals
the smoke
evie sands
zakary thaks
the litter
mojo men
December 17, 2008 01:29AM
got my gbm cam on, cheers.
thanks

you too mb, but now I gotta check those holiday music budget numbers again...

Post Edited (12-16-08 22:43)
December 17, 2008 02:16PM
The Savage Resurrection
Faine Jade
Gandalf
We the People

Nick "Bevis Frond" Saloman's Psychic Circle compilations are a good source of obscure 60s and 70s music.
December 18, 2008 01:37AM
The Creation.
Yeah they might be "famous" to "us", but to the rest of the world at large...

Also, check out various Nuggets, Pebbles, Back From the Graves, Teenage Shutdowns, and varous other 60s garage comps for some REALLY obscure stuff. Also: the Prae-Kraut & Girls in the Garage comps.
December 18, 2008 05:46PM

Also, check out various Nuggets, Pebbles, Back From the Graves, Teenage Shutdowns, and varous other 60s garage comps for some REALLY obscure stuff. Also: the Prae-Kraut & Girls in the Garage comps.

Decent comp? Try "Shakin' In Athens" (SS - 010 / Sound Stories / P.O. Box 976 / Evanston, IL 60204).

"It's very difficult to describe in only a few words the history of such a rich and underestimated pop-rock scene as existed in Greece in the sixties."

December 17, 2008 02:38PM
The Action were a great band, and one of the most revered mod bands of that era, but they were painfully thin on originals, and the ones they did have weren't so hot. Word is, you really had to see them live to understand their power. They were revered by the English mod scene as much as the Who and Small Faces, until the songwriting talents of both of those groups outpaced them. They morphed into a not-so-hot prog/acid band called Mighty Baby (without singer Reg King--whose voice is one of the highlights of the Action). Their cover of "Since I Lost My Baby" is one of my favorite recordings ever. The kicker is, George Martin produced them, so promising was their potential.

Oddly Phil Collins was huge fan of the band when he was a teen and sat in on drums during a reunion gig in London.

Post Edited (12-17-08 10:39)
December 17, 2008 03:20PM
The Action's best originals ended up on this record, which was never issued in their lifetime. It's not a work of genius, but it's very enjoyable psychedelic pop/rock.
December 17, 2008 04:59PM
They were
> revered by the English mod scene as much as the Who and Small
> Faces, until the songwriting talents of both of those groups
> outpaced them. They morphed into a not-so-hot prog/acid band
> called Mighty Baby

well...

mighty baby was a great band with one great LP; the action was a top flight bar band with a real good singer. and it terms of the small faces' outpacing of the action's material, it probably took my wee lads of genius about 7 chords into their first original song to outstrip/outrun/outpace/outdo the musical ideas of the action.

it's comparing joe charboneau to albert pujols.

maybe in a beer drinking contest but...
December 18, 2008 03:00AM
sometimes it feels like i'm on an archaeological quest.
thanks for the flashlight and shovel gear mates!

now playing: john otway 'cor baby-that's really me (i fuckin love it)
December 18, 2008 04:59AM
Here's a stocking stuffer for ya...

I came across v.1 + 2 via cassettes ages ago and have never seen nor heard of it since, until the magic of the interwebs, so I don't feel too bad about linking.

Around the same time I found some other similar tapes that were even better - the only marking I have on them to trace is "E3" E=Espanol I've always guessed and it's definitely 60s girlgroupfreakbeat, but have never found anything more about them unfortunately, as they are great.

ho ho ho.

December 18, 2008 11:11PM
I was thinking The Wailers but apparently they're late 50s as opposed to 60s.
Must confess to thinking that Out Of Our Tree was a Lipstick Killers song for many years.
December 18, 2008 11:43PM
Nah, I'm pretty sure the Wailers were '60s, part of that whole crazy Seattle scene - the REAL Seattle scene: Sonics, Kingsmen, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login