Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The walk-off HR

The walk-off HR
December 05, 2008 07:13PM
Thought of this as I was enjoying some favorites of 2008. Acts who should have quit after recording this song:

"Never Miss a Beat" - Kaiser Chiefs
"Stay Positive" - The Hold Steady
"Miles Davis and the Cool" - The Gaslight Anthem
"Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
"The Ballad of Love and Hate" - Avett Brothers
"You Can't Hold the Hand of a Rock & Roll Man" - Okkervil River
"Fake Plastic Trees" - Radiohead
"Waiting for the Great Leap Forward" - Billy Bragg
"Alex Chilton" - The Replacements
"Thirteen" - Big Star
"Heaven Up Here" - Echo & the Bunnymen
"Complete Control" - The Clash

Bear in mind, I'm not arguing the artists will not/have not done anything worthwhile after the song in question, they just nailed it, and had they walked away after recording that song, who could blame 'em?
Re: The walk-off HR
December 05, 2008 07:42PM
Interesting, but perfection can also be improved upon - the DFA remix of "Paper Planes" for example - FANTABULOUS.

Also "Never Stop" or many titles from Porcupine reach the same heights IMO (Ripeness!).

How's about:
"Shadow Cabinet" - The Church
"Little Brother (Electric)" - Grizzly Bear
"Pink Turns to Blue" - Hu-Du
"Dig Me Out" - Sleater-Kinney
"Third Uncle" - Eno
"How to Bring a Blush to the Snow" - Cocteaus
"White Elephant" - Volcano Suns
"Do You Love Me?" - Nick Cave+
"Something Against You" - Pixies
"FM" - The Slits
"Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio
"Man Should Surrender" - Pailhead (well I guess they did walk away, and with only an EP no less, and boy did they ever leave me wanting to hear more - fuckers)

December 05, 2008 09:03PM
Not a song, but I've said on here before that the Violent Femmes should've retired after the first album.
December 05, 2008 09:30PM
I never think of the Paper Planes thing so much as a "song"--I think of it more as a rhythmically compromised woman talking over the Clash. When it comes on, I always say to the radio, "Quiet, woman, I'm trying to hear me some Clash."

Post Edited (12-05-08 17:30)
December 14, 2008 09:20PM
I said this better.

I coined it.

Motherfucker.
December 15, 2008 07:05PM
Dunno, STEVE, I think Dennis Eckersley coined the term back in 1988 (after giving up Kirk Gibson's "walk-off HR" to end game 1 of that year's World Series).

I could be wrong.
December 16, 2008 06:28PM
albert belle coined it when hannah storm came into the locker room to interview tribe after tough WS Braves lost.
December 16, 2008 07:42PM
You mean Joey Belle?

Weird Albert Belle stat that sticks in my head: he's the only player to hit 50 or more home runs and 50 or more doubles in the same season (50 HRs and 52 2Bs in 1995, with a 143 game schedule due to the '94-'95 strike)...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login