Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Satriani vs. Coldplay

Satriani vs. Coldplay
December 05, 2008 06:18PM
I don't really have a dog in this race (but I wish that journalists in general would come to a more full understanding of copyright and intellectual property--it's not just a matter of "plagiarism").
[news.yahoo.com]

This is a great comparison, including a mash-up at the end that's pretty damning.
[www.youtube.com]

There was already that unknown Brooklyn band who claimed Vida was ripped from them.

ANYWAY: yawn.

Post Edited (12-05-08 14:39)
December 05, 2008 06:48PM
Coldplay's been accused of this before. Remember the Kraftwerk controversy? Also worked well in a mashup:

[www.youtube.com]
December 05, 2008 07:14PM
In fairness to Coldplay vis-a-vis Kraftwerk, as far as I know they received permission to lift the riff from "Computer Love" and Schneider & Hutter et al received songwriting credits for "Talk". So I don't know that that would be considered a controversy.

But at first glance, the Satriani thing definitely seems pretty suspicious. If it was an intentional rip, it was pretty stupid to not take the same approach with Satriani as they did Kraftwerk. Doubt that he would have objected overmuch to having a chunk of songwriting royalties from a Coldplay album, especially when he wasn't having to lift a finger, and one would think Coldplay have enough change lying around now that cutting someone else in would be less trouble than facing a lawsuit.

Sort of like the Verve with "Bittersweet Symphony" - when it comes to lawsuits and profits, it's definitely better to ask permission than forgiveness.

Post Edited (12-05-08 15:15)
December 05, 2008 07:18PM
I always say, steal from the best. And when you can't steal from the best, steal from Joe Satriani.
December 05, 2008 07:26PM
There was a controversy before people knew about the deal Coldplay had with our friends from Dusseldorf - it wasn't a straight-ahead cover of "Computer Love," so when "Talk" hit the airwaves, many people's reactions were "rip-off!"

As much as I dislike Coldplay, I may take their side on this one - I just can't imagine Coldplay sitting around listening to Joe Satriani. Actually, I can't imagine anyone listening to Satriani except poodle-head "Guitar Player" magazine readers who work at Guitar Center.
December 05, 2008 09:27PM
"I just can't imagine Coldplay sitting around listening to Joe Satriani. Actually, I can't imagine anyone listening to Satriani except poodle-head 'Guitar Player' magazine readers who work at Guitar Center."

Mr. Fab cuts straight to the heart of the matter. And if Coldplay's attorneys can quote you in their opening statements, they'll have this thing won before it starts. Nicely done.
December 05, 2008 10:06PM
Man, why all the bagging on Satch? He was the most listenable and intelligent of all the shredders back in the day. He put the entire Shrapnel Records roster and GTPM (Guitar For The Practicing Musician) crew to shame. Plus he mentored Vai and Hammett. I still have my autographed Surfing With The Alien record wrapped in plastic from that era, and a handful of Guitar Player flexidiscs. I'll take Satch over Coldplay any day, even if that makes me a "poodle head" (?!)

Post Edited (12-05-08 18:42)
December 05, 2008 10:43PM
aaah, the meaning becomes clear. No, I am not a poodle head.
December 05, 2008 10:39PM
I would take Joe over those mopey Brits, Ill give ya that. But don't tell me you really are a poodle-head!

Post Edited (12-05-08 18:42)
December 05, 2008 07:05PM
> Coldplay's been accused of this before. Remember the Kraftwerk controversy?

Assuming you're referring to the song "Talk," I didn't realize there was any controversy. As I understood it, Coldplay asked for and received permission from Kraftwerk to incorporate their riff, and gave Kraftwerk co-songwriting credit. If I'm mistaken about this, please let me know.

December 05, 2008 07:07PM
yawn indeed, but I do have to wonder, as didn't Eno produce them bollocks?

Not that I would suspect him of being a big Satriani fan, nor do I think he would knowingly be part of such a rip-off.

Now I have to go bleach my hands just to get the taint of this topic off of them...

December 05, 2008 09:30PM
I definitely side with Coldplay on this one, even without having heard the Satriani track(s) in question. If Coldplay had the respect and good sense to get Kraftwerk's permission for "Talk," I can't see why the band would deliberately rip off Satriani.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Coldplay reached a settlement with Satriani, if only to make this go away.

December 09, 2008 09:15PM
When the Coldplay track and Satriani track are presented individually and not on top of each other, there's still a definite resemblance, but it seems nowhere near as damning as it does when they're mashed up - it sounds more coincidental.

[www.pastemagazine.com]

As for the Creaky Boards cut, I could have heard both those songs consecutively without it occurring to me that they had anything similar except the basic tempo.

Post Edited (12-09-08 19:01)
December 11, 2008 04:34AM
Too bad Coldplay isn't Oasis. If Satriani were to accuse Noel Gallagher of plagiarizing him, Noel's response would be, "Yeah, so? What of it?"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login