Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Somebody slap me

Somebody slap the pope
November 28, 2008 01:16AM
The Catholic Crutch, er Church apologized to Lennon.

Duh, hey Pontiff, Papal, whatever. Lennon's dead. However, he is smiling in his grave.
Re: Somebody slap you
November 28, 2008 01:25AM
Dude, Why drop a casual nasty putdown on the Catholic religion? You're no better than that crude uncle we all have who whispers a nigger joke because he assumes you're one of them. I'm a Catholic who likes John Lennon, respects the Pope, and, more importantly, thinks the religion is a beautful one which brings a lot of good to the world. Go screw yourself.
Re: Somebody slap me
November 28, 2008 02:02AM
"catholicism's alright if you like gregorian chants"
November 28, 2008 02:11AM
Fight the real enemy!!
November 28, 2008 03:50AM
If the only thing the Catholic church ever contributed to rock music was "Saint Behind the Glass" by Los Lobos, it would more than have earned its keep. A gorgeous, gorgeous song.

But beyond that, much of John Foxx, the Innocence Mission and Mary Timony's (to name a just a few) best work has been informed by their Catholicism. So I'm with Nosepail - leave the Catholics alone. It's easy and fashionable to zero in on the negative aspects of the church's history (the Inquisition, the Crusades, picking on Galileo, child abuse by priests) while ignoring the positives (some of the greatest art of all time, opening up some of the first cracks in the Iron Curtain, preserving the whole of fucking western civilization for 1500 years when no one else could be bothered to). Two sides to every coin.

Plus, Beneath the Planet of the Apes is on the Fox Movie Channel right now, and the rituals performed by the Forbidden Zone mutants as they worship the Alpha and Omega bomb were clearly based on the Catholic mass, and anything that contributed to the sheer awesomeness that was the Planet of the Apes is okay in my book.
November 28, 2008 04:50AM
So just because I'm pointing out the Church's hilariously bad timing, that makes me anti-Catholic and, according to Nosepail, no better than a racist. Hell, if a Hindu priest apologized, I would've said the same thing. No one's above ridicule, especially an all powerful tax-exempt political organization that bullied natives into converting, sticks its nose in birth control, euthanasia, homosexuality, and other places where it doesn't belong, and barred women from the priesthood. Great art doesn't make up for massive abuses of power.
November 28, 2008 11:25AM
Truce, man. I am tired of offhand Catholic barbs (and completely disagree with your additional comments) but my response was disproportionate. I should have learned by now never to talk religion at the Thanksgiving table.

Post Edited (11-28-08 07:41)
November 28, 2008 01:22PM
Thank you.
November 29, 2008 03:07AM
I got a Catholic block.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login