Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

solo bass

solo bass
November 02, 2021 06:20PM
We had a brief discussion about solo bass records. Bandcamp just recommended Luke Stewart's WORKS FOR ELECTRIC BASS GUITAR, which is far more abrasive than any recent ECM release. He scrapes and scratches the bass more than playing actual notes, and "Track 2" starts off with funk-influenced slap bass but then gets noisier. Have a listen here: [triptickstapes.bandcamp.com]
Re: solo bass
November 02, 2021 08:21PM
The first solo bass record I ever heard was by Norwegian born/Austin-based* jazz bassist Ingebrigt Haker Flaten (the Thing, Atomic, Young Mothers). When he plays electric, he generates some serious scree. This sounds cool, so thank you for the tip!

*Until the pandemic, that is. He was in Norway when COVID and opted to stay there.

Addendum: it’s only on cassette and digital, for those who care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2021 08:25PM by Michael Toland.
November 03, 2021 11:45AM
Not solo bass, of course, but this thread made me remember how much I love the album Jonas Hellborg did with Tony Williams and a string quartet.
November 03, 2021 12:53PM
Adding that to my Discogs wantlist right now. Hellborg has done solo bass disks as well.

Speaking of Discogs, I finally broke down and opened up a store. Mostly CDs, a bit of vinyl. Feel free to browse...or ignore, if you prefer.

(Now that I'm typing this, it seems like I may have already noted this, so I apologize if I seem to be pushing sales. Not my intention.)
Bip
November 04, 2021 07:10PM
In typical bandcamp fashion, I see Luke Stewart is offering up his product as a cassette or digitally only.

Can you imagine anyone listening to a cassette of his bass scraping? Would anyone wonder if the tape was malfunctioning?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2021 07:10PM by Bip.
November 05, 2021 04:18PM
It's expensive and time-consuming to press vinyl (especially when Adele is tying up plants by ordering half a million copies of her new album), but why not sell a few CD-Rs of this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login