Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Father's Day gift

zoo
My Father's Day gift
July 01, 2020 10:59AM
My 14-year old daughter has been painting a lot lately. She asked to paint something for me for Father's day, and I thought some album covers might be cool. I went through my collection and gave her a handful. These are the ones she chose, and I think she did an awesome job. They are now hanging on the wall in my office. Just thought I'd share with the only folks I know who would appreciate the actual music inside these albums.

Re: My Father's Day gift
July 01, 2020 11:41AM
Wow - pretty amazing! If only I could get my 14-year-old daughter to even talk to me anymore....
July 01, 2020 01:01PM
That's fantastic!
July 01, 2020 01:40PM
When I was 16-17, I also did paintings of favorite record covers to decorate my room (well not paintings, drawings mainly). That Split Enz one was one of them - in the light blue and gold colors. Others included the Cure's Boys Don't Cry; XTC - Drums and Wires; Squeeze - Cool For Cats; Echo and the Bunnymen - Rescue (single version); Magazine - Play; the Jam - Dig the New Breed; and U2 - October (with a modification, I reproduced the entire picture that was on the front and back cover to make it the cover).

Great art endures (although I've long lost those drawings).
July 01, 2020 02:44PM
That is heart warming, and such good albums as well! Reminds me of how when I bought these records, my policy was to play it once and record to a chrome tape. While I was listening I would bust out the art supplies and make a tiny repro of the cover for the J-card. Sometimes making actual tiny paintings with size 0 sable brushes. The things you do when you think you have all the time in the world!
July 02, 2020 10:21AM
Love it!

Also, I think many of us may have kids the same vintage; my 12-year-old is pretty much completely uninterested in my record collection, except for the Bob Marley. I would love it if he checked out the Split Enz or XTC someday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 10:24AM by zwirnm.
zoo
July 02, 2020 11:50AM
My daughter is firmly in the present day when it comes to music listening...until about 3 months ago. She is a HUGE Harry Styles fan, and he is not shy about professing his love for older musicians, which she has in turn checked out. This coincides with her cousins telling her all about the classic rock they listen to, that she has added to her playlist. We're talking mostly '70s stuff. But this still hasn't moved her toward the new wave, post-punk, and Brit pop that I most enjoy. Well, one day I mentioned Paul Weller, and she says, "Harry Styles likes Paul Weller. Would I like him?" So, I bring her to my office and I pull out every Jam and Style Council album (I have them all on vinyl) and every Weller solo CD. Then I started playing songs that she said she liked. This went on for like an hour. And here's the punchline...the next day she goes, "I was wrong, Harry likes Paul McCartney, not Paul Weller." Ugh, never mind, dad.
ira
July 02, 2020 12:00PM
Your real worrying connection from Stylesness is his superbud Stevie Nicks. That would be bad....
zoo
July 02, 2020 01:13PM
Ira, YES!!!! My daughter is aware of my utter disdain. I've tried to thwart that one, but its tricky canceling Nicks completely because I genuinely like Buckingham's contributions to Fleetwood Mac. I can't dismiss the group outright, but I do make sure she's heard "Second Hand News" and "Big Love" and others to balance out the Nicks stuff.
July 02, 2020 03:35PM
Great idea! If my daughter did something like this she would've picked Big Black's "Headache".
July 04, 2020 01:38AM
Awww, Zoo, that story about the Harry connection made me laugh out loud! The paintings, though, are sweet. My kindest regards to your daughter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login