Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Trans-Oceanic Trouser Press

ira
Trans-Oceanic Trouser Press
July 30, 2008 06:19PM
I thought if i loaded scans on facebook i could link to them, but that didn't work out, so...

I've put complete scans of issue 1 and 2 and 3 on the TP facebook page.

Post Edited (07-31-08 22:32)
August 01, 2008 07:15PM
Man, that's going way back...back to when TP was a mere skiffle group.

Seriously, thanks, Ira.
August 02, 2008 09:11PM
Is there some reason you'd want to put them there and not here? I don't see why I'd want to join Facebook.
ira
August 03, 2008 01:12AM
stopgap measure. i can do it on facebook peacemeal. i thought if i posted them there i could link them to TP.com but i am stumped how to do that.
August 03, 2008 01:50AM
I can probably help decipher your tech problem, but it's a bit confusing what exactly you're trying to achieve.

For example - you have multiple scans (jpg, gif, etc?) of pages of the original issues that you want to distribute? you want to avoid a personal hosting/bandwidth drain?

You can upload multiple images at imageshack.us and then link directly to them - it's pretty straightforward and you can do bulk uploading. They even provide automatic thumbnails and a variety of link codes for every blog, forum, etc. possibility.

You can put all of the scans into one ZIP/RAR/etc and then host that at megaupload, zshare, badongo, rapidshare, etc. for free. When you upload your file there, they will give you the link and you put that here, facebook, anywhere for people to download directly from your free host.

You can also convert those scans into a portable format such as a PDF file or opensource equivalents such as .CBR which is typically used for scanned comic books. The resulting files can be hosted directly or via one of the above mentioned sites.

If I'm way off on what you need, please clarify and I'd be glad to suggest something.

cheers,

.Mike
August 03, 2008 12:02PM
Any time I've created a photo gallery on Facebook, there's a link at the bottom of the page that allows you to share it publicly. Is that link not showing up on your galleries?
ira
August 03, 2008 12:08PM
right you are, smarty-pants!!

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

[www.facebook.com]

[www.new.facebook.com]

Post Edited (08-08-08 23:45)
August 03, 2008 01:24PM
Don't worry, Ira. This whole "Internet" thing is just a fad anyway.
August 03, 2008 05:11PM
Thanks for unlocking the files, Ira - lots of fun! Now about that promise to keep us supplied with TP until The Who break up...
August 04, 2008 12:05AM
Well breno, at least it wasn't the deluxe version of that album by Lucinda Williams you always go on about, Truck Wheels on The Macadam Road or something like that.
August 04, 2008 12:15AM
True nuff.

On the plus side, I also picked up that reissue of the Dennis Wilson album, which I had never heard before and is quite nice.
August 03, 2008 05:52AM
I realize this might be more than a little on the "labor-intensive" side, but any chance you can (please please PLEASE) scan the whole run and put them on DVD a la Rolling Stone, Mad, et al.?
August 03, 2008 01:30PM
The first issue of Trouser Press had a John Denver review!
ira
August 03, 2008 02:02PM
and so what if it did? smiling smiley
August 03, 2008 03:20PM
Hey, I just got home from WAL-MART where some bizarre impulse caused me to grab a copy of the 30th anniversary edition of Billy Joel's The Stranger, so God knows I've no room to throw stones at anyone.

It brings back pleasant memories of my freshman year in high school. That's my meager defense for this pretty inexplicable act I just committed.

I'll be surrendering my hipster credentials now.
August 03, 2008 03:46PM
Uh, that was your "outside voice" that just said the Billy Joel thing, Breno. Not the one inside your head that only you hear.

Just thought you'd want to know...
August 03, 2008 05:08PM
The first piece of record I ever owned was Billy Joel's 52nd Street. My Dad bought it for me when I was 4 years old and consented to eat a Brussels sprout. That might have been the last sprout I ever ate. Always enjoyed the record however.

52nd Street turns 30 in two months (October 2008). As sentimental a person as I am, however, I could probably resist the urge to buy a 30th anniversary deluxe edition. I am much more likely to buy a Prefab Sprout album at this stage winking smiley

Post Edited (08-03-08 14:09)
August 03, 2008 07:27PM
The sad thing about all this is, now that I have actually attempted listening to my shiny new copy of The Stranger, I realize that, aside from fond memories of adolescence, I really don't like the damn thing very much at all. (Actually, this is probably more reassuring than sad, now that I think about it.)

However, I will admit to thinking that The Nylon Curtain was actually a pretty okay album. And I've always liked "My Life," although that may be due to the fact that I thought Bosom Buddies was a pretty good show.

Oh well. Guess Vintage Vinyl is going to get a gently used copy of The Stranger in a couple of days, at which time I'll most likely be abused by the staff for having a copy of it to trade in.

Let this be a lesson to everyone. Impulse purchases = BAD!
August 04, 2008 07:08PM
I'll admit to having very little familiarity with Facebook, but it seems that 1) these images are rather small (large index card size, rather than as big as the originals) and 2) I can't find a way to save them on my computer. Are they done this way to avoid people printing up bootleg copies?
ira
August 04, 2008 07:56PM
re: facebook: since i'm using a photo display section, i can understand why a print function would be superfluous. In Windows world, you can right click on the image and save it, which would allow you to scale it and print it. one other factor concerning size: 8.5 x 11 pdfs would be very large files and probably exceed facebook's upload limits. you can always use your browser's zoom to make them bigger on the site.
August 04, 2008 07:39PM
> The first issue of Trouser Press had a John Denver review!

Well, Ziggy Deutschendorf and the Spiders from Aspen was quite a change-up for him. Still sounds good, even if it's rather derivative. Check it out if you find a copy at Vintage Vinyl.

August 04, 2008 08:17PM
Mac users should be able to just grab the image and drag it onto their desktop if so desired.
August 04, 2008 08:43PM
Yeah, I have a mac, and I just drag them over as jpg.'s. But then there is no way to zoom them without distorting them. I even converted to PDF and they were all pixelated out.
August 04, 2008 10:33PM
Yeah, once a file is saved at a certain size and resolution, there's no enlarging them without pixilating, at least at normal resolutions for web display - which is generally 72 dpi. This is the bitch which is known as raster art.
ira
August 05, 2008 12:25AM
i don't know - those are good sized scans, at least a megabyte each. unless facebook compresses them in the upload process, i can open the original files in MS photo editor and they look sharp even larger than the original.
August 05, 2008 12:48AM
Yes Facebook and other soc. network sites do shrink and compress images - and generally not very well.

You'll notice the cover of issue 1 - the image size is only 72K - probably 15x smaller than your original scans. I find the images you linked to nearly impossible to read.

Another caveat to using those sites is you explicitly agree that you have the rights to the images you post, but also implicitly agree that you give all of those rights over to FB when you host your images there - they are free to do whatever they want with them. Check the TOS.
August 05, 2008 01:12AM
Well, to add probably nothing of any value whatsoever to the discussion, when I copy one of Ira's images onto my desktop and open it in Photoshop, the resolution is 600 dpi, which is damn high resolution, but the physical size is only .778"w x 1.007"h. The small physical size keeps the file size manageable at such high resolution. Anyhow it stays pretty legible when I blow it up pretty big on my screen, but I have no clue if photos download differently on one computer vs. another or whatever.

So take that for whatever it's worth. I can read them fine on my monitor, and loved seeing the reviews of Here Come the Warm Jets and 10cc's Sheet Music, which my older brothers were thankfully buying at roughly the same time these issues of TP were printed.
August 09, 2008 02:53PM
yeah, they need to be downloaded and then zoomed-up for me to read, but the Eno bit in Issue 6 is well worth it - I'd love to hear his thoughts today on his "Essence in 25-words or less" (sic). =)

Btw, he and Byrne have a new project going and they are putting out free tracks each week: Everything that Happens...
August 05, 2008 03:08PM
Thanks Ira, this is great! And regarding that Here Come the Warm Jets review: who knew that Eno was a "sado-masochistic transvestite"?

I kid. You did say that it was an "instant classic." But who would have thought the phrases "Leo Sayer" and "Trouser Press" would ever appear together? The article says his live show featured him in clown makeup, acting like he's being pulled like a marionette's puppet - and it was a good review.

Really well done for a no-budget zine. That King Crimson series is encyclopedic.
ira
August 08, 2008 12:22PM
Just added TOTP6

[www.new.facebook.com]

Post Edited (08-08-08 23:45)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login