Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: lifetime

lifetime
July 08, 2008 12:05AM
What happened to Lifetime TV? It no longer says it's Television For Women. It's become as standard as any other network. Christ, they even have a guy announcing the schedule line up.

I miss the days when a woman announced: Lifetime - Television For Women. This fired up my imagination. I pictured the Lifetime TV office full of busy women and NO men. And I relished the anti-male movies they would play, because as a male, I somehow got a laugh out of it. Rapists, wife-beaters, cheaters, deadbeat dads, and pervs all ran the gauntlet on their quasi- feminist agenda. Pre and post prime time slots were all devoted to female-centric shows like Designing Women, The Nanny, and The Golden Girls. Granted, they still play them, but since a guy is announcing the shows, the channel's identity is skewered.

Now if I can somehow relate this to music. Um, what female artists are good for Lifetime? And which one is qualified to say, "Lifetime - Television For Women"?
July 08, 2008 09:17AM
I never watch(ed) "Lifetime" but for some reason I'm thinking they'd go more Sarah McLaughlin than Patti Smith.

It would be cool to have a female Rock & Roll version of "The View" - maybe Patti Smith, Tori Amos, Liz Phair and Ani DiFranco.........and also Meg White, who probably wouldn't talk but could just nod (approvingly) or shake her head (disapprovingly).

The theme song for the station would have to be chosen wisely. For example a reworked version of "All the Young Dudes" retitled, "All the Young Chicks", (sung by Avril Lavigne, natch) could insult the older female demographic, and the male bashing lyrics are potentially offensive ("Televison MAN says we're crazy/We have juvenile delinquent breasts/Oh sister, I need female TV but I got shows with penises").

Post Edited (07-08-08 06:18)
July 08, 2008 12:29PM
Speaking of talk shows, when does Elvis Costello's gabfest start showing on the IFC channel?
July 08, 2008 12:34PM
And women already complain that men hog the remotes? Just wait.

July 08, 2008 02:55PM
Guys, guys... we're losing the demographic here...

The Lifetime Channel is only good for the titles of the movies, such as "Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?"
July 08, 2008 03:17PM
The question is: how we can get ex-Lifetime mainstays into the music biz? Meredith Baxter-Birney doing the Courtney Love songbook?
July 11, 2008 03:21PM
What I find strange is that the Oxygen network's most popular series is "Snapped." Nothing like a show on a women's network that sets feminism back to the Lizzie Borden age.
July 21, 2008 12:15AM
really.
thank god for twenty five dollar dvd players and three buck men@work films.

I just love those 80 something estevez/sheen works of art.

(throw in weekend at bernies and I'll sleep over!)

Post Edited (07-20-08 21:18)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login