Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Don't Tell Anybody!

Don't Tell Anybody!
May 23, 2005 07:33PM
What's your closet band that you secretly enjoy, even as an adult?

Abba (I think it's the production, maybe)
ELO (Dude, they spun the upright Bass!)
ZZ Top (Put your beard on and airjam, makes your kids dance and laugh)
Badfinger (those winsome singles)
Monkees (had to edit this one in: Pisces LP)
Keith - Hey 98.6 ('oh i love my baby!' This Bobby Goldsboro-type record had a
weird warped sound)
4 Seasons-C'mon Marianne (it's the minor chords, the key changes, the
bossa-nova guitar riff, the way Valli percussively sang 'permanent thing'
and 'say-hey you can'. It's goth doo-wop!)

Just admit it. You'll feel better and it's inexpensive.

Post Edited (05-29-05 02:38)
May 23, 2005 09:48PM
This might not really count, but I'd say Thin Lizzy. I'm not in the closet with my love for them, but I do make many hipper than thou friends of mine wince when I say things like "Screw the Shins, ok? Name one Shins song that rocks as hard as "Bad Reputation"?" Clears the room every time. Also, the Monkees. I can't even explain my Monkee-love. It comes from a deep dark part of my psyche I'd rather not investigate.

Post Edited (05-23-05 18:53)
May 23, 2005 10:26PM
I crank the volume anytime I stumble across "Just Another Day" by Jon Secada on the radio.

Kylie Minogue is a goddess.

This one may or may not count - I've never understood why critics almost universally hated Gary Numan. I think the guy was a genius.

The Banana Splits

"How Do You Do" by Mouth & MacNeill.
May 24, 2005 12:43AM
I think Listen Like Thieves by INXS is a great guitar rock album.
Most of ABC's first four albums.
"Year of The Cat" by Al Stewart has some great production and some perfectly timed and played out solos.
I love Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones by The Monkees. It's a great pop album.
And absolutely no embarassment about Badfinger. What a great series of singles, almost operatic in their emotional drive and perfect in their structure.
I also bought Devo albums after the first two.
Oh yeah -- Sparks. There's a band that's great in fits and starts.
Donna Summer?

I was actually about to ask if there were any bands that people had changed their minds about. I used to hate The Smiths, but over the past few years have come to appreciate them as more than just a belching whale w/ a mic fronting an awesome pop band. Heck, I even own a couple of Morrissey CD's. Growth or retreat?
May 24, 2005 12:58AM
The "guilty pleasures" are more interesting and more revealing than the "legitimate" faves we wear on our shirtsleeves. This once I'll unpin my mullet, with a reverent nod toward the Great White North.

Anything produced by Mutt Lange - ANYTHING!!!! AH HAH HAH HAH!!!!! AC/DC....Iron Maiden....Leppard.....Shania

Motorhead

Kiss - Hotter Than Hell

Rush - Moving Pitchers
May 24, 2005 01:48AM
Thinking about artists once disliked then liked, I have to say I've bought PJ Harvey's DRY I think four times now - grabbed a copy when it first came out based on all the hype, couldn't see what the fuss was about, and traded it in at the used store. Then RID OF ME came out, to more hype, so I thought maybe I'd been too hasty before and used a BMG disc club initial membership deal to get copies of both the first two albums. Both were traded in shortly thereafter. Then saw the video for "Down By the Water" and loved it, so picked up whatever the album that was on is called and liked it, so when I came across a used copy of Dry (possibly the one I had traded in earlier) I decided, what the hell, I'll give it another try and bought it yet again. I seem to think there was one more cycle of trading it in and then rebuying it but don't remember.

But anyway, I now admire PJ Harvey. Still think she's a bit overrated, but I can at least understand why some people are gaga over her. And I think I currently own a copy of Dry, but honestly can't say for sure.

I also despised Supertramp in high school, but now I think a combination of nostalgia for high school and a love for William H Macy's part in Magnolia has caused me to have an odd affection for them.
May 24, 2005 07:09PM
The pimp makes a great point.

Once you reach a certain age, though, you stop feeling guilty about most of your pleasures ... because your friends who are the same age will understand. The friends who are younger might not understand or appreciate your less-than-hip favorites, but so what ... they're only going where you've already been.

When you're younger, hipness carries a lot of weight, for a lot of reasons. By the time you reach, say, forty, hipness plus 60 cents will buy you a can of Pepsi at the vending machine. (Spoken like a non-New Yorker, huh Ira ...)

As for me ... I used to scoff at Abba, but time (and the influence of a very memorable gf) changed my mind.

Queen, LZ and Kiss (their first five albums) will never grow dusty in my collection either.
May 24, 2005 03:15AM
livin' la vida loca! even prefer ricky's version to the toy dolls'.
May 24, 2005 02:58PM
the video where leon/black jesus dies (?) by madonna (and the stoopid song)

that "classic radio" song dust in the wind i do not turn off every time it comes on

benny hill

i read 4 patricia cownwalls (sp?) once during a summer break and i did not completely throw up

terms of endearment movie (gack)

i watch PCU every time it's on--UNJUSTIFIABLE! Meat Tossers!

clevo sports teams

there's some alicia keys that's OK, i think, or it could be aaaayiiiyii (RIP)

NP
Wilkonson Tri Cycle

Post Edited (05-24-05 12:04)
May 25, 2005 02:10AM
Baha Men's "Rat Race" and "Holla," if you can dig that.

Transvision Vamp were a gloriously worthless hoot.

Iron Maiden's "Run to the Hills" and "Number of the Beast" (that's when I practice my devil horns).

The new Judas Priest, "Angel of Retribution."

Neil Diamond--even The Jazz Singer stuff.

The Monkees, Gordon Lightfoot, The Cult.

...but none are true guilty pleasures for I will defend it all 'til the bitter end...except Transvision Vamp...and most of the Cult...and Diamond did suck most of the time...oh, never mind.
May 26, 2005 09:16PM
Hall & Oates circa Private Eyes
EBN-OZN "AEIOU Sometimes Y"

Sockeye -- I really like them, find them hilarious and am not truly guilty about my fandom, but I can't say I feel entirely guilt-free humming songs like "Two Homosexual Baby Dogs" or "Cancer," which mocks child cancer victims ("You've got cancer - Ha! Ha!"). If you're not easily offended, try to track down a copy of Retards Hiss Past My Window. If nothing else, it's a brilliant album title. Quick summary: like The Frogs but less musically competent and far more offensive (they also make fun of retarded children and blind people). And no, they're not serious. No one sings a song called "Steve Albini Fucked Pac-Man" and can claim to be serious.

I guess another guilty pleasure is owning 12 or 13 Thee Headcoats/Thee Mighty Caesars records. I know they're all the same ... but I don't care.

Since when are Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Thin Lizzy guilty pleasures (especially Motorhead)? This is rock 'n' roll we're talking about, right?
May 27, 2005 03:22PM
I openly and unabashedly enjoy much of the stuff mentioned here (Abba, INXS, etc.)--but my dark, shame-faced secret is an abiding, love for the Backstreet Boys' late '90s hit "I Want It That Way." I truly think that Matthew Sweet should cover this sog; there's a power-pop classic lying beneath the surface. . .
May 27, 2005 07:07PM
Check out the CD *Punk Goes Pop* on Fearless Records. Seventeen punk re-makes of songs made famous by The Backstreet Boys (Dynamite Boy does a good version of "I Want It That Way"), N'Sync, Britney Spears, Pink and others.
May 27, 2005 10:17PM
...that's a good tip, Delvin. I'll check it out.
May 29, 2005 06:29PM
I don't really have any shame about what I'm into but definintely have a soft spot for early 70s stuff like Chicago, Guess Who, CCR, etc...
June 03, 2005 03:02AM
70's AM Trash....LOBO, Gordon Lightfoot, Bread, Dusty Springfield, Janice Ian, Chris Montez, Who the hell did that song, "Oooo child, things are gonna get better, Oooo child things are gonna get easier..." HELL FUCKIN YEAH!!!! great ****.
June 03, 2005 03:23AM
That's "O-o-h Child" by the Five Stairsteps, and I agree--It's a great fuckin song.
June 08, 2005 11:49AM
BOTH of InDeep's albums! "When Girls Talk" and all the non-hits as well are staggering to some part of my brain. My wife and I used to get ripped listening to them when we first started "dating" and there's a residual-libidinal glow that will never go away...

I saw David Sedaris a couple of months ago and he read a hilarious piece about just this subject; teacher decides to get the kids talking in class and asks them what their favorite song is - D.S. volunteers "Indiana Wants Me" and then has to backtrack when he finds out it isn't "cool", beginning the descent into listening to "beep-beep-boop-boop" music as a performance artist/grad-student until finally finding a measure of serenity as an adult.

June 25, 2005 04:46AM
AWRIIIIGHT!
June 12, 2005 12:14AM
I just listened to a mix CD of some lost classics... "Timothy" by the Buoys, "Evil Woman" by Crow, "Let Your Love Flow" by Bread (a harder rocking song for them, except for the harpsichord on the chrous), "Small Beginnings" by Flash, etc...
August 21, 2005 08:11PM
Was "Timothy" the cannibalism song? Guys stuck in a cave, everyone made it out except for Tim?

My favorite guilty pleasures; MmmmBop, Lulu, Cher(I'm straight), Homer&Jethro,old cornball Country i.e. Don Bowman, Johnny Bond. Oh yeah, Moog Cookbook.
June 29, 2005 05:30PM
I am pretty comfortable with my classic rockness and make no apologies for my fondness for poppy early MTV classics like Mickey by Toni Basil (no more than once a year) and the like. However, there are two things that I will always crank when they come on the radio that I have no explanation for and that I am ashamed to admit:

1) Sister Christian by Night Ranger: Just that one song and mainly just the chorus. God help me, I have no defense

2) The entire High Infidelity album by REO Speedwagon: Cannot stomach anything before or after and enjoy making fun of the guitar player and the singer. That one album coincided with the summer when I was 15. I knew it was wrong by the time I was 16 but I still can't help myself.
June 30, 2005 12:40AM
cbtaco19 - I hope you're not Catholic as they believe that your dead relatives are watching you jam to REO and Night Ranger.
June 30, 2005 08:37PM
Bless me Father, for I have sinned. It has been one year since I rocked out to Night Ranger and the Speedwagon by I feel the temptation coming on.
July 02, 2005 01:34PM
We've got one of those big hundreds-of-cds jukeboxes that plays contantly in shuffle mode at the office, and my wife put on a Joan Baez compilation - I dunno, 3 CDs maybe? As an unreconstructed rocker it pains me to admit nearly every time Joanie comes on my ears perk up. That bird could sing!
July 07, 2005 01:02AM
there's a song played every two minutes on radio by some band, whose name sounds like Shirley Temple's Pussy, singing about getting stuck in a big bag of vaseline or something by people who are obviously opiated. i know little about vaseline and less about shirley's anatomy, but the song is OK in a cro magnon, obvious way. there, i feel better.

NP
George Brigman (!!)

ND
2001 Chablis Grand Cru (!!!)
July 14, 2005 03:31AM
any r kelly closet fans?

[us.f804.mail.yahoo.com]

(covered by bonnie prince billy)
July 14, 2005 05:36AM
i was until he tried to pee on me
July 15, 2005 02:18AM
"I believe he will try"
July 15, 2005 02:00PM
Hmmm ... Between this post, and the one where baker complained about the effect the hot climate was having on his genitalia, I'm beginning to wonder about his obsessions ...

"Don't Tell Anybody!" indeed.
July 16, 2005 02:04AM
Uh...Not being familiar with either Mr Bakers seasonal genitilia changes or his obsessions, i feel that Mr Delvins obsessive need to compound and label Mr Baker's TP posts is what most concerns me.

Post Edited (07-15-05 23:07)
July 25, 2005 05:43PM
The other day I picked up a copy of Emma Bunton (Baby Spice)'s album FREE ME from a $2 bin. I'd read moderately interesting things about it so I figured what the hey. Turns out it's a surprisingly decent album of 60s style girl-pop. It's nothing earth-shattering by any stretch, but if it had been recorded by an unknown instead of a former Spice Girl, I'd be willing to wager it would be getting lots of comparisons to Camera Obscura, Belle and Sebastian and the rest of the twee-pop posse.

One of the nicer surprises I've found lately, especially for two bucks.
July 27, 2005 08:40PM
"Voices," Hall & Oates

"Can't Behave" by Courtney Jaye
July 30, 2005 02:41PM
The Bee Gees Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

The Carpenters - Please Mr. Postman

Early 70s Osmonds

Numavox!
July 30, 2005 04:56PM
Don't tell anybody, but I went to Ozzfest last week and enjoyed it.
August 08, 2005 05:19PM
don't tell anybody, but i've been taking in ellegirl magazine band reviews and interviews.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login