Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Privilege

Privilege
June 19, 2008 01:03AM
During the course of my Pop Music Education which began in earnest in 1977 I saw the film "Privilege", a mid 60's look at a fictional British Pop star (Paul Jones!) and his influence on their society.

The one and only time I ever saw "Privilege" (until recently that is) was on TV in 1978 on WWOR TV (channel 9) in New York, and it affects on me were profound, changing my ideas about the music business and it's potential power (both positive and negative) forever.

It wasn't the music (although fine) in the film that influenced me but the approach that the film's anti hero Steven Shorter's management team had on the political/economic and social structure of Britain portrayed in the "not too distant future" of 1970 (the time period the film takes place in).

The film which was panned by the British press and banned for being "hysterical" has rarely been seen since its first run in 1967. In fact, Universal Pictures (who owns it) had all copies destroyed!

It is my pleasure and PRIVILEGE! to share this obscure but still potent film with you all. You can download it here! Privilege in QuickTime format (Be patient, it's a large file). I urge you all to check it out.

PS It is due for its first DVD release this July, in it's original widescreen format made from the original negative! Available on Amazon.com

Post Edited (06-19-08 21:47)

[buddylove.us]
June 19, 2008 02:53PM
I can't see the words "Jean Shrimpton" without the Smithereens rocketing through my brain.
June 19, 2008 03:53PM

I can't see the words "Jean Shrimpton" without the Smithereens rocketing through my brain.

I had the same problem! The guy who is in charge of the DVD release sent me an excerpt from the 40 page booklet with a Peter Walkins "Self Interview" that explains many behind the scenes details about the film including his decision to use Jean Shrimpton and PAul Jones, both "Amateur Actors". I had no idea that she was a famous British fashion model in the 60's. At least I know who she is now.

[buddylove.us]
June 19, 2008 04:20PM
That has to be may favorite opening line in a song.
June 19, 2008 04:32PM
Oh, c'mon, Joe. I was sure that your favorite opening line would be

5, 4, 3, 2, 1
5, 4, 3, 2, 1
5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
June 20, 2008 12:08PM
Ha, Ha, very funny, Erik. It's rather joyfully & pleasantly annoying to have you think that I'm the #1 Manfred Mann fan. In fact, I own 3 Manfred Mann CDs, as opposed to 30+ Kinks CDs. Also, recently, I was @ Mystery Train in Gloucester when I saw a copy of the EMI Years box set & you would be utterly horrified & shocked to know that I DID NOT BUY IT!

P.S.: I suspect that the Sox will have a Cardinal feast this weekend
June 20, 2008 01:42PM
"P.S.: I suspect that the Sox will have a Cardinal feast this weekend"

That's not going out on too much of a limb. The stupid Cardinals just got swept by the Royals, for crying out loud. If they had any brains they'd just go ahead and forfeit the weekend, stay home and rest up.
June 20, 2008 02:51PM
"I suspect that the Sox will have a Cardinal feast this weekend."

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a veritable shelling. Heavy artillery.
June 21, 2008 01:16AM
I dunno Erik, Wakefield's pitching tonight. As much as I like him, he can either be very, very good or bloody horrible, just like the 'Mats were from what I heard (judging from the 7th inning, it looks like the latter).
June 21, 2008 03:20PM
I am not a hard core forum contributor or blogger but I do check out these things from time to time. On occasion I find something interesting or amusing so when I heard about Privilege being re-released I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I THOUGHT I had something important to add here but I noticed a digression so off topic as to be absurd! I guess I now know better than to attempt actual informational dissemination....

EXCUUUUSE ME!!!!!

[buddylove.us]
June 21, 2008 03:31PM
What do Steve Martin impressions have to do with baseball?

Post Edited (06-21-08 12:31)
June 21, 2008 04:00PM
This is on the sundance channel

[www.sundancechannel.com]
June 21, 2008 04:42PM
Fantastic! I'm wondering if I hadn't ranted about diverging off topic if I would have found this out!

[buddylove.us]
June 21, 2008 05:06PM
Damn, I just checked and found out I don't get Sundance!~

[buddylove.us]
June 21, 2008 09:04PM
I watched it last night and also "The Apple" (one of the greatest movies ever). A great two-fer viewing experience I get to have again, thanks to Divo (DVR, but no Tivo).
June 22, 2008 12:15AM
All right, I'm commandeering this thread again to point out that the Cardinals have so far been beating the shit out of the Sox. I'm as surprised as anyone.

You may now return to the actual topic.
June 22, 2008 12:30AM
Props to the Cardinals, then, a worthy foe indeed.
June 22, 2008 01:25AM
Did you say DIVO or DEVO? But my real question is; Have you seen it before and would you view it again?

BTW, What's The Apple? Never heard of it.

I must be a sheltered middle age suburbanite.

[buddylove.us]
June 22, 2008 01:47PM
Nope, you're not sheltered, just lucky.

Here's the trailer, off of YouTube:
[youtube.com]

(sorry, how do you put the html links on these again?)

It's amazing in its awfulness -- think Xanadu made by Ed Wood in West Berlin in 1979 featuring a cast of dozens, but with more energy and earnestness than any twenty films combined. It keeps getting more over the top and weird as it goes. There are songs like "Where Has All The Pity Gone?" and "BIM's On Its Way" on the soundtrack -- the latter is mind-bogglingly catchy, almost T Rex. in its glam meets disco beat. The future apparently consists of three 1970's-era station wagons with big fins plastered on them, and trumpets with protractors taped to the side. Greatest lyric: "It's a natural, natural, natural desire/ To see an actual, actual, actual vampire"

Privilege is fantastic -- I'd read about it in a couple of film books, but was unprepared for its style and how seriously it took its subject. Great stuff, and thanks for the opportunity to watch it.

"Divo" is our word for using our digital recorder we got with our cable package. We don't have Tivo, love DEVO, so, ergo...

And Buddy Love rocks! My brother still has his original copy of the album he bought at Wilcox Records in OKC. I enjoyed the hell out of it!
June 22, 2008 02:13PM
First things first; The Apple. I just watched the trailer and a short excerpt on youtube and all I have to say is OH MY FUCKING GOD! What drugs were the producer's of that film on and where can I get some?!? A thought just occured to me. Is it possible that the film's producer's were intentionally looking to create a flop ala Springtime for Hitler? I'm curious to know how it did in the box office? In any case it looks incredibly awful and now I MUST SEE IT IMMEDIATELY!

Second; to make html links press the <a> button !!

Third; Divo vs DEVO. I lovo playing with words so. Ergo (love that one!) it must be my ego. (that doesn't make any sense but what the hell)

Lastly; Thanks re Buddy Love. That makes an even dozen people who remember it. Now if I can get another dozen or so to buy our new album I could retire!

[buddylove.us]
Re: The Apple
June 23, 2008 03:43PM
"The Apple" is one of those movies that looks like it could be so bad it's good but it isn't. I saw it a couple of years ago, thinking that but was majorly disappointed. The only redeeming factor was that the girls were very attractive. Joss Ackland (Lethal Weapon II's bad guy "Diplomatic Immunity!") played god in a Rolls Royce?!?!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login