Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Intrigued against my own better judgement

Intrigued against my own better judgement
June 17, 2008 12:39PM
[www.cnn.com]

I actually like early Chicago - not so much that I have ever considered buying any of it, but I never minded hearing it on the radio. So this whole story sounds kind of interesting to me.
June 17, 2008 12:48PM
Let me remind you - this is only 15 years old, from 1993. That's FAR from "early." But it is an interesting story.
June 17, 2008 01:05PM
Yes, but this album is supposed to be a throwback to the band's early sound.

Post Edited (06-17-08 10:05)
June 17, 2008 03:49PM
Are you the real Breno, or have you been replaced by one of those pod people?
June 17, 2008 04:14PM
Like I said, I will never buy a Chicago album, but I do kind of like their early stuff - it's pleasant early 70s radio fare. They got horrifically bad later on, but the early stuff is okay. I put it in the same category as Gerry Rafferty or Al Stewart. I'm not going to buy it, but most likely won't change the station if it comes on the radio, either.

And I hear the influence of that stuff on such albums as Tiny Voices by Joe Henry and The Albemarle Sound by the Ladybug Transistor. The first time I heard that album my first thought was "Oh. Is it cool to be influenced by Chicago now?"

And this new one is produced by Peter Wolf. And he's cool.

Just to prove it's the real me, I went to see Ladytron last night, because 1) I like neo-New Wave bands and 2) I think that Mira Aroyo is incredibly cute. I can think of nothing in the world hotter than a pretty, synth-playing Bulgarian scientist.

Post Edited (06-17-08 13:17)
June 17, 2008 05:03PM
"I can think of nothing in the world hotter than a pretty, synth-playing Bulgarian scientist."

I'm convinced. It's the real breno.
June 17, 2008 05:14PM
"And this new one is produced by Peter Wolf. And he's cool."

You're assuming this is the J. Geils Peter Wolf, and not the German synth-happy producer who worked with 80s schlockmeisters like the Starship and was considered to have a hitmaking golden touch for a while in that decade. I don't know for sure who it is, but I suspect the latter is more likely to be the Wolf in question.

I had a Rhino 2-disk Chicago best-of sent to me recently, and you're right - some of the early stuff isn't nearly as bad as I remember, and I can hear a clear melodic influence on the mellower side of poppy indie rock. The 80s disk 2 stuff made me want to projectile vomit, however.
June 17, 2008 06:45PM
Toland's right: The Peter Wolf in question is the Austrian producer known for his work with Zappa.
June 17, 2008 06:10PM
"Like I said, I will never buy a Chicago album, but I do kind of like their early stuff - it's pleasant early 70s radio fare. They got horrifically bad later on, but the early stuff is okay."

To me this is dead on.
June 17, 2008 06:13PM
I take it as a source of pride that I was completely unaware of the existence of the German Peter Wolf til now. That's what you get for listening to Starship, Toland!

I so completely ignored the 80s output of bands like Starship, Heart and Chicago that there's probably all sorts of semi-luminaries associated with them that I have never heard of but probably should at least have some passing knowledge of, if only to avoid them.
June 17, 2008 07:34PM
Sadly, my first concert outside of the Christian rock I saw at church was the Starship and Night Ranger.
June 17, 2008 07:13PM
Damn good, although after a while the light show got to be too much for my over-the-hill eyes so I spent the last few songs with my eyes closed.

Datarock, who opened for them, were hysterical. I hope to see them again.
June 17, 2008 08:10PM
Geez. Way to make me feel bad.

My first concert, outside of State and County Fair performances that my parents dragged me to that I don't remember because I was pissed to be dragged to them and didn't pay attention but were most likely people like Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Johnny & June, etc, was the Cars and the Motels.

A pretty appropriately themed double bill, now that I think about it. It was the Cars' Panorama tour.

Well, now that I think about I do remember seeing Rick Nelson at Six Flags before that. And I think maybe the woman who was in WW & the Dixie Dance Kings and later married Marty Stuart. A Connie, I think, but I can't recall the last name.
June 17, 2008 05:34PM
I had a friend who was really into three bands: Chicago, The Doors, and anything involving Frank Zappa. All night poker games at his place would get more and more surreal as we drank and went through his collections of each. The Doors never grew on me. Chicago, however, before they hooked up with David Foster, had some decent sounding bubble gum stuff, and as a former jazzer, I can appreciate their chops. After Foster -- ye gods. I'm sure they got a lot of good cocaine out of the deal, but nothin' else. Stay away from that 4-album live set of theirs. It gets really pretentious, and no amount of chops can save them. I hate to think what it says about me that I would rather listen to old Chicago than The Doors, but -- hey -- I'm the guy who still thinks Jason and the Scorchers were the great, lost American band. And, as the aura of coincidence tightens, Peter Wolf played with Zappa in the late 70's, early 80's.
June 17, 2008 06:50PM
So, Reno (if that's really who you are), how was Ladytron?
They did a RAP song?!?
June 17, 2008 09:16PM
>>Allmusic review<<

You can listen to samples. And, yep, they're rappin allright.

Post Edited (06-17-08 18:19)
Re: They did a RAP song?!?
June 17, 2008 10:11PM
Consider me no longer intrigued. My better judgement was correct all along.
toto cd which intrigued me
June 17, 2008 11:10PM
along the same idea of the chicago record is this weird record by toto.
all covers including a cover of watching the detectives, it takes a train to cry.
it showcases some great guitar work and the elvis cover might be related to costellos comments on how he hates bands like toto in a 1970s or 80s interview.
im baised towards any type of left field albums by mainstream bands or anything i like by a band i dont normally like i tend to love
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login