Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: campaign songs

campaign songs
February 18, 2008 06:14PM
Politicians and pop music have a funny relationship. That's why I'm always surprised when they don't put much care into their choice of campaign songs. Bill Clinton's use of Fleetwood Mac was prescient, as more than any president, his time in office was akin to the inner-band dynamics of the Mac. Reagan obliviously used "Born in the U.S.A.," a bitter and cynical tune.

So the question: What should the current candidates have chosen?

I like "Brand New Day" by Van Morrison for Barack. (Why has no one used this song?!) and "These Boots..." for Hillary. (But they should play "Double Shot of My Baby's Love" for Bill's appearances for her.)

I don't think McCain, or conservatives in general (in as much as he's trying to represent himself as a conservative), should use pop or rock songs. I would suggest something more dramatic and classical, like "Finlandia" or some Wagner (despite what Nietzsche, one of the great early music critics, says about the latter).

If I'm not mistaken though, Hillary is currently using something by Big Head Todd and the Monsters, despite having put it out to the constituents to choose one for her. (The choice, which I'm too lazy to Google or remember, was short-lived.)

Post Edited (02-18-08 14:15)
February 18, 2008 08:16PM
A certain Elton John song, that can be found on his Caribou album, comes to mind for Hillary.

Not that I have anything in particular against the senator from New York; I just think it'd be funnier than hell.

Come to think of it, another EJ song — also from Caribou — would work well for McCain.
February 18, 2008 11:54PM
Nah, Hilary's using some Celine Dion shlock-fest. Osama's using a Motown tune (Stevie's?) "Signed Sealed Delivered." Good tune, I just have no idea why. What's the connection? I suppose it's a better choice then Pearl Jam's Bill Haley parody "Barack Around The Clock."

Surviving Grateful Dead members reunited for Barack. If they record, I suggest this album title: "The Audacity of Dope." *rimshot*

Pretty funny how rockers are criticizing conservatives that swipe their tunes. First, Johnny Cougar (as I still call him) sent a c&d to McCain for using songs like "Pink Houses," and now Tom Scholtz of Boston sent a note to Huckabee to tell him he wishes he would stop playing "More Then A Feeling," claiming Huck "stands for everything Boston is against."

Did Boston have strong anti-squirrel-eating position?
February 19, 2008 12:27AM
Actually, Scholz is a very outspoken vegetarian.
February 19, 2008 02:34AM
what did jack neitzche say about wagner?
February 19, 2008 01:28PM
"what did jack neitzche say about wagner?"

That's pretty funny!

They (Fredrich--not jack--and Wagner) had sort of had a Lester Bangs/Lou Reeed thing going on. Nietzsche went from utter admiration to later in life saying that he stood for everything he was against (artistically, ideologically--with good reason). Further reading: Der Fall Wagner (The Case of Wagner).

Post Edited (02-19-08 10:37)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login