Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comsat Angels .. where r they!

Comsat Angels .. where r they!
April 08, 2005 09:11PM
Howdy
Anyone know if The Comsat Angels first 3 albums were ever released on CD? That's their only decent stuff (crucial!), and i've had no success after years of hunting in N.Z.
Cheers..
Re: Comsat Angels .. where r they!
April 09, 2005 03:09AM
Yeah, they were cool.
I've always loved their first album on Polydor. The one with "Independence Day." They had several great songs, like, I remember, "after the rain" for one. That was a great time for the musics.
New romantics like Roxy Music ("Avalon" was there first album, right?), Ultravox, even scene setter John Cale had a great album that year.
Which reminds me to ask, "did New Order have an early 45 in '82?
Also in Europe anyway...The Furs, Echo, U2, the U 'Tones, Stiff Little Fingers, Stray Cats and damnit, Billy Idol and Duran Duran.
There were tons of two and three piece synth bands. Oh what the hell, Thompson twins, OMD, Polyphonic Size. Jesus, Not only SUICIDE, but also Algebra Suicide!
Canadian (oops), American Bands exploded onto the scene. Bands like TSOL, Replacements, Mission of Burma, MDC, NYC hardcore.
But what I really wanna know is, what the hell were the Kirkwood brothers were doing way back then? Probably listening to Husker Du, Rank and File, Green on Red and the Dream Syndicate.
Even techno industrialists were the haps. Twenty something years ago? Ahhh! No way.

Post Edited (04-09-05 00:43)
April 11, 2005 08:20AM
Loads of good stuff around then, it's true. How about Del Byzantines (THE hardest to find !?), Wall Of Voodoo, Chrispy Ambulance, Bilderine/ The Bilders (a local N.Z. outfit), Crass, Au Pairs, Chelsea - i think Billy Idol was their vocalist. Shriekback, Bauhaus, The Mekons/ Three Johns .......
and yeah Steve, not to forget Husker Du. I've enjoyed 2 Bob Mould gigs. He toured N.Z. twice - around '91 and 2002.
And those Undertones. John Peel's favourite band. His favourite song was "My Perfect Cousin".
Cheers
April 11, 2005 02:22AM
don't know, but i did score a nifty 4 disc boxset (bootleg maybe, but sounds great) offa ebay a year or so back...

first three albums plus oodles of (same period) extras!
April 11, 2005 08:08AM
Boxset huh ... sounds perfect. I'll keep an eye out. My old tapes from school days in '82 are gettin ropey - too many sellotape splices. The vinyl copies are even more annoying .. a jumping scratch right in the middle of "Independence day".
Still, if i found Orange Juice, Theatre Of Hate, and The Only Ones, it's only a matter of time before Comsats CDs turn up, or get reissued.
Cheers!
Re: Comsat Angels - It's History boxset
April 11, 2005 11:20PM
i'm pretty sure it made one of jr's recent big takeover top 40s, but since those are nearly impossible to scroll back through and find anything, here's someone else's review:

[www.stylusmagazine.com]
April 11, 2005 09:56AM
funny

re Del Byzantines

i was JUST at a benefit (black keys, chi pig, tin huey, bizarros, numbers band blah blah) and i JUST asked one of those participants (shh shh) if next time he talked to shh shh he could ask for some of that stuff.

weird...

i'll let you know.
Del Byzantines (THE hardest to find !?),
April 11, 2005 11:14PM
i've still only heard the one song (from a comp of some sort), and i've been looking! but over the course of the hunt, i have found circus mort and deep six records!!!
Re: Del Byzantines (THE hardest to find !?),
April 22, 2005 11:42PM
[jimjarmusch.tripod.com]

i gotta get that 12' and ep. the album is great. "lives to live by" (the song) is a classic.
Re: Del Byzantines (THE hardest to find !?),
April 23, 2005 01:22AM
hey elephant man

yr e-mail bounced back

roky@optonline.net
April 24, 2005 09:01AM
Lissenup!

I was in the UK in 1999 and got a copy of Sleep No More on CD.
According to the liner notes the early albums ARE available.
The label is rpm records ltd
212 Aizlewood Mill. Nursery Street, Sheffield S3 8GG. They say to write and include three first class stamps for a catalogue.
The reference numbers are

Waiting For A Miracle - rpm 155
Sleep No More - rpm 156
Fiction - rpm 157
My Minds Eye - Thunderbird CSA 101
The Glamour - Thunderbird CSA 103
Time Considered As A Helix of Semi Precious Stones - BBC Sessions - rpm 106
Unravelled - rpm 123

I wouldn't get too excited but give it a go, otherwise I could probably burn a copy of Sleep No More for you but I guess Waiting For A Miracle is the real prize.
Good Luck
April 25, 2005 03:41AM
Ta for that Aitch! I'll duly pursue ....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login