Song that's stuck in my head today
February 13, 2008 01:55PM
"Lady" by Styx. This is unacceptable, but nothing I've tried is dislodging it so far.

I blame the FREAKS AND GEEKS viewing marathon I had last week for this.
Re: Song that's stuck in my head today
February 13, 2008 02:36PM
When I was in high school, I loved Styx and thought "Lady" was a great love song. Now Dennis DeYoung's singing makes me wince and I can't ever imagine referring to a significant other as my "lady."

I still get a kick out of "Come Sail Away," though.

I've been listening to Paul K & the Weathermen a lot - go to their website and you can download a bunch of their records for free. I'd say in many ways Paul is the anti-Styx, so that should help.
February 13, 2008 11:28PM
"I've been listening to Paul K & the Weathermen a lot - go to their website and you can download a bunch of their records for free."

Hell yeah. I've always wanted to hear this guy. Thanks Michael.

February 14, 2008 12:14PM
The song "Shake It Up (Ain't It Time)" by the Cryers from a old Rhino DIY Power Pop CD is in heavy brainpan rotation lately.

Post Edited (02-14-08 10:58)
February 14, 2008 04:23PM
You guys should consider yourselves lucky. As the father of a 2-year-old who's just discovered YouTube, the songs that can't seem to escape my head today are "The Wheels on the Bus" and a horrible piece of inanity by a woman named Laurie Berkner called "We Are The Dinosaurs." I'd take some Styx in a fucking heartbeat right now.
February 14, 2008 10:09PM
My two-year-old is a bit of a rev-head so we always have to start with Madness - Driving In My Car (on account of his toy white Morris) when YouTubing.
February 13, 2008 07:27PM
Having just seen The Editors the weekend before, and having read your fine review of The Back Room, all I can say, Reno, is: physician, heal thyself!

February 13, 2008 08:03PM
"Stranger than Fiction" by Bad Religion is in my head.............because it's a grey, rainy, sort of spooky day and on these kind of days I'm always amused by those lines :

"Tonight the windows are watching,
the streets are conspiring
and the lamp post can't stop crying"

February 13, 2008 08:36PM
Why did I wake up with The Strangelove's "Night Time (It's The Right Time)" in my head? Good tune, just where the heck did my subconcious pull that one from?
Song that's stuck in my head today
February 13, 2008 11:42PM
I wasn't aware of the song before accidentally catching her performance on the Grammys Sunday night, but now Alicia Keys' "No One" has been in my head almost CONSTANTLY for three days and nights.
February 14, 2008 02:40AM
no matter how many cds i own or electic musical tastes or the mood im in there is not a minute in my life that the theme song from the love boat is in my head. this has been my downfall in life.
February 14, 2008 12:37AM
Keys played that song before the Super Bowl too. I was blown away by it. I caught her doing it at the Grammys and realized I've got to get her album for my girlfriend winking smiley

Ashes to Ashes has been the going through my noggin insessantly.
February 14, 2008 01:06AM
Holiday - Madonna - it was playing in a shop just then - it's not my fault.
February 14, 2008 01:15AM
"Lady" has inexplicably been replaced by "Living in the Past" by Jethro Tull, a song I doubt that I've heard for years.

The Editors is a good suggestion, but I just picked up the new British Sea Power, and have high hopes it'll have one or two things that lodge in my head, like the last album's "Oh Larsen B" and "The Land Beyond."
February 14, 2008 01:55PM
Caught a Vh1 "Unplugged" session w/Styx one time -- they cut it up and use it during Video Blocks, which are further and fewer between -- and they actually sounded good: energetic, and having fun. It's probably the best they've ever sounded, and they didn't even do it with an audience around, and the version of "Lady" seemed to...rock... all of a sudden. Not sure if it was the new drummer or Dennis D'Young's head bopping back and forth.

The song in my head is "Interplanet Janet" from Schoolhouse Rock.

The Vh1 Styx Behind the Music is one of the funniest things ever: "I just couldn't sing songs about robots anymore."

Post Edited (02-14-08 10:27)
February 14, 2008 02:07PM
Having just posted something about Elvis C. on this board, "The Only Flame in Town" has just started rotation in my head. It could be worse.

February 15, 2008 08:56PM
Today it's "Right Down the Line" by Gerry Rafferty, a song that lodges itself in my head with surprising frequency, considering I've never really bothered with Rafferty, outside of hearing that song and "Baker Street" ad nauseum on the radio in the 70s.

I've always just written him off as 70s lite-rock, but every so often I wonder if I should re-consider that. Outside of the Sleepy Jackson, he's the only person I can think of who's so obviously George Harrison influenced (at least on the little I've bothered to listen to by him), and since I've of late claimed that George is my favorite Beatle, I probably shouldn't dismiss a Harrison devotee quite so automatically.
February 15, 2008 10:29PM
I have a vinyl copy of City to City, the album from which those Rafferty hits come, floating around somewhere. I admittedly haven't listened to it in years, but if I recall correctly, the hits are the poppiest things on it. The rest is folkier, I think. That said, if "Baker Street" and "Right Down the Line" don't do it for ya, I doubt you'll care much for the rest of the record.
February 16, 2008 04:40AM
I've maintained a sentimental spot for City to City ever since its release. Mainly, it's because the album was very popular during the time my family and I were moving. My brother and I listened to City to City a lot during the drive across the country. (The album's title didn't have anything to do with the selection, honest.)

"Home and Dry" has a pop edge, thanks to its synth line, and "Whatever's Written in Your Heart" is a very stark ballad — just piano, vocal and a synth solo. As Toland said, though, the rest is mostly folk-influenced, though rarely straight-up folk music.

Trivia: City to City was the album that ended the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack's 24-week streak at #1 on the Billboard chart.
February 16, 2008 01:34PM
Just out of curiosity, and because I'm too lazy to look it up, the Pet Shop Boys did quite a nice song a few years back called "Home and Dry." Was it a Rafferty cover, or did it just have the same name?
February 17, 2008 01:23AM
The Pet Shop Boys song is not a cover, although it's obviously taking off from Rafferty's "Home and Dry"...

I've been stuck with The National's "Fake Empire" in my head for 3 days.
February 18, 2008 04:43PM
This past Saturday night, I heard Albert Hammond's "The Free Electric Band" on a local radio program. I hadn't heard that song since junior high.

February 18, 2008 06:52PM
Ha! I haven't heard that song in decades either. Didn't know it was Hammond Sr. that did it.
February 18, 2008 08:28PM
Whoever told you it's been decades since I was in junior high? (Just kidding.)

Yep, Hammond Sr. wrote that one. Not too bad, coming from someone who wrote or co-wrote some of the most unbearable wuss-pop hits ever, including:

"It Never Rains in Southern California" (which he also recorded)
"The Air That I Breathe" - The Hollies
"When I Need You" - Leo Sayer
"I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love" - Chicago

And ... drum roll, please ... I'm beggin' here ...

"To All the Girls I've Loved Before."

February 18, 2008 10:00PM
I hear his kid is in some band too. The Strikes? The Blokes? something like that.
February 19, 2008 01:09PM
I actually kind of like "It Never Rains" and "Air That I Breathe," but probably more out of nostalgia than for quality.
February 19, 2008 02:09PM
Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I'd forgotten how much I like "Free Electric Band."

February 21, 2008 12:36AM
She got Greta Garbo stand off sighs
She's got...Bette Davis eyes

February 21, 2008 02:16PM
She's got Karl Malden's nose, Jimmie Walker's lips
Liberace's clothes, and Shelly Winters' hips
All the boys think she's a guy
She's got ... Marty Feldman eyes
February 22, 2008 11:53PM
I'm fortunate in that what gets stuck in my head usually isn't some jingle or irritating oldie that sounds like a jingle. It usually is something I've heard recently, but it may be a flash from the past that just . . . popped up.

Today it's "Stay in Time" by Off Broadway, "Ruby" by Sneakers, and . . . believe it or not, "Who's That Lady" by the Isley Bros.
June 02, 2008 09:49AM
"Going Out Of My Head," The Zombies

Post Edited (06-02-08 10:29)
June 02, 2008 08:41PM
she's got.....Lizzy taylor's thighs...
June 02, 2008 08:05PM
Breno. No need to feel ashamed. And I am proud to admit that during my formative listening years, Styx was a staple of my musical diet! I still love listening to Lady!
June 04, 2008 12:22AM
Fish Heads, Fish Heads, roly poly Fish Heads....
June 04, 2008 11:06AM
Fish Heads, Fish Heads, eat them up, yum!
June 04, 2008 01:00PM
She Taught Me Everything There Is To Know About Poultry, by Citizens Utilities
June 04, 2008 01:41PM
"My Lonely Sad Eyes" (Them/Van Morrison). But not the original, the remake by Maria McKee in the early '90s.
June 04, 2008 04:02PM
Everytime I see this thread show up - 'Can't get it out of my head' plays in my head, just that lyric- ELO right?

June 04, 2008 04:15PM
Yeah, and inexplicably covered by Velvet Revolver last year.
June 05, 2008 10:08PM
"eaton rifles, eaton rifles"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login