Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fave soundtracks

fave soundtracks
January 27, 2008 04:39PM
What soundtracks can you never stop listening to? I'd like to buy more, but I don't have the time or money. Anyway, here's my top 8 so far.

A Clockwork Orange - music by Wendy Carlos. It puts me in a droogy mood.

Death Wish II - underrated music by Jimmy Page. Hope to find Death Wish I soundtrack by Herbie Hancock.

The Legendary Italian Westerns - music by Ennio Morricone. Uplifting and mysterious.

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage - music by Ennio Morricone. Sounds for schizoid settings.

Suspiria - music by Goblin. Truly otherworldly music.

Saturday Night Fever - I need to get the single disc version. I hate getting up and switching discs.

Natural Born Killers - If I could edit out the snippets of dialogue, it would be perfect. I don't like dialogue interrupting anything.

Pulp Fiction - Also great, and I want to get the music for Death Proof.
Re: fave soundtracks
January 27, 2008 05:23PM
"Rushmore" is my fave soundtrack of recent years - the songs were just used so well in that film, most films just use pop music in such an arbitrary way.........but Rushmore really got the emotional connection between songs and the characters.

"Trainspotting" obviously spawned great soundtracks as well - 2 of them.

Post Edited (01-27-08 13:43)
January 27, 2008 05:33PM
Repo Man
Decline of Western Civilization (part 1)
Dance Craze
Urgh! A Music War
Kimagure Orange Road
The "Crime Jazz" CDs
Godzilla (the original)
Forbidden Planet
January 27, 2008 05:44PM
The HEAVEN'S GATE soundtrack by David Mansfield is a beautiful album.
January 27, 2008 09:04PM
A Matter Of Degrees
Topless Women Talk About Thier Lives
Idiot Box
Fight Club

There's also a great CD of Mick Harvey's soundtrack stuff called "Motion Picture Music 94-05"
January 27, 2008 11:28PM
My favorites would include the soundtracks for Scandal, Hairspray (the original John Waters movie) & That Thing You Do
January 28, 2008 12:02AM
I'm a late bloomer, SOUTH PARK Chef Aid 1998.
February 04, 2008 02:51AM
I almost forgot. The soundtrack to the original Wicker Man suits me well when I'm in a pagan mood. Great Celtic folk songs.
February 04, 2008 02:11PM
Clueless
February 04, 2008 02:54PM
Taxi Driver
Donnie Darko
Dead Man
River's Edge
Shoot Loud, Louder...I Don't Understand
Love and A .45
Liquid Sky
February 04, 2008 11:11PM
Can you get Dance Craze on CD?
I used to play that to death.
February 04, 2008 11:59PM
Hedwig And The Angry Inch
Open Season
Superfly
Royal Tannenbaums
High Fidelity
ira
February 05, 2008 01:28AM
Some Kind of Wonderful
February 07, 2008 03:53AM
In Cold Blood -- Quincy Jones

Hard to find, but well worth it.
February 05, 2008 01:30AM
A Tribute to Jack Johnson - OK, I've never seen the movie but technically it is a soundtrack.

Don't Look Now - Pino Donaggio's absolute best. He has done some great stuff for DePalma too.

Darjeeling Limited - All of Anderson's soundtracks are great even this mixture of the Kinks, Indian folk ragas and a French pop song.

All things Lynch - Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive especially. Badalamenti is my absolute favorite.

Open Season is a real gem too. I listened to that ad nauseum.

Magnolia - Even the Supertramp songs (so kill me)
February 05, 2008 02:31PM
Aitch, the Dance Craze soundtrack did get a CD release. The CD does not include the tracks by Madness, though, thanks to contract issues. Extra tracks from The Specials take their place. Those added tracks are great, but the Madness songs are sorely missed, and the overall soundtrack doesn't flow as well without them.

A worthy purchase, if you find it (it's currently out of print), but not a replacement for the original vinyl release.
February 05, 2008 02:36PM
Did the PARTY PARTY soundtrack ever come out on CD? That had some interesting stuff on it - all new wavers doing cover versions of stuff, my favorite being Bananarama doing "No Feelings" by the Pistols.
February 07, 2008 02:01AM

"party party" was good. i think the best, though, was "that summer!" came out in 1979. never out on cd, as far as i know.

1. Sex & Drugs & Rock'n Roll - Ian Dury And The Blockheads
2. Spanish Stroll - Mink Deville
3. I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea - Elvis Costello
4. She's So Modern - The Boomtown Rats
5. New Life - Zones
6. Another Girl, Another Planet - The Only Ones
7. Whole Wide World - Wreckless Eric
8. Because The Night - The Patti Smith Group
9. Kicks - The Boomtown Rats
10. Rockaway Beach - The Ramones
11. Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
12. Do Anything You Wanna Do - Eddie & the Hot Rods
13. What A Waste - Ian Dury And The Blockheads
14. I love Sound of Breaking Glass - Nick Lowe
15. Watching The Detectives - Elvis Costello
16. Blank Generation - Richard Hell And The Voidoids

at the time, just an unreal sampler of "british" music. everything obviously available now in one format or another, but at the time, tremendous to have it all on one album.
February 05, 2008 04:44PM
I think the PARTY PARTY soundtrack did come out on CD briefly, but it's probably out of print now. I also had a CD copy of Dance Craze that someone gave me as a gift, although I traded it away many moons ago.
February 06, 2008 12:10AM
Thanks Delvin, still sounds worth a look. I'd love to actually see it again, it was great on the big screen, I remember some of the Bad Manners stuff looked chaotic, probably 'cos there's ten of them.
February 09, 2008 01:01AM
Rumble Fish - Stewart Copeland (featuring Stan Ridgeway)

I stumbled across the movie on cable a couple of months ago, having not cared to watch it at any point over the past quarter century. The quality of the film surprised me– I'm not a huge FF Coppola fan– Copeland's soundtrack absolutely floored me. Astonished, even.

It's out of print, but oddly available on iTunes.
February 10, 2008 02:23PM
Bachelor Party. The Fleshtones track is astonishing, and it's a nice sampler of IRS at the time. Adrian Zmed rocks!
February 11, 2008 02:52AM
> It's out of print, but oddly available on iTunes.

That's not so odd ... or at least, it'll become less odd in the future.

One reason that a lot of these out-of-print favorites stay that way is because the record companies don't think that an album will find a large enough sales base to make it worthwhile to re-issue. A delivery method like iTunes offers a solution to that problem.

Once an album is converted to MP3 (or a comparable format), it can be delivered to anyone who wants to download it. The record company doesn't have to invest in remastering, pressing CDs, packaging, distribution, etc. The only inventory is space on a server.

For all the out-of-print favorites we talk about on this board, expect many (if not most) of the ones that do re-appear to show up on iTunes before they show up on CD.

February 23, 2008 12:38AM
I'm stunned that nobody has mentioned The Harder They Come, which is fricking brilliant and humongously influential.

Let It Be is a soundtrack, and the English version of the Hard Day's Night soundtrack is great.

Another one nobody's mentioned is Elizabethtown, which is an amusing mix of stuff, but then nobody saw the movie. Garden State's even better (Shins-Nick Drake-Iron & WIne).

One I come back to a bunch is The Last Emperor, by Ryuichi Sakamoto and David Byrne (separately) - the Sakamoto stuff is actually the best, and surprisingly the original score won an Oscar! (Quality music getting an award - what a concept!)

I really got a kick out of the soundtrack of Breakfast on Pluto, although it is a pretty goofy mix. Seeing Gavin Friday perform glitter rock in the movie was better than hearing it. (BTW - kudos to Bryan Ferry in his acting-only role as a murderous nut-job!)

I wouldn't expect anyone to mention Tsotsi, the story of a South African "gangster" (more like a street thug), but it is excellent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login