Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rock Hall of Hijacked Threads

Rock Hall of Fame
March 15, 2005 02:33PM
Was checking out the new inductees to the Hall of Fame and was once again wondering where Blondie is. They never even seem to get mentioned on the list of possible inductees, and I dunno, seems to me they were the biggest band in the world for a while there, and had as many hits and were as important as some of the people who've been inducted.

I don't expect Kraftwerk or Black Flag to ever make it, or the Sex Pistols as long as there's any chance Lydon would show up at the ceremony, but it seems to me Blondie should be a no-brainer, and yet they never seem to even be considered.
ira
Re: Rock Hall of Fame
March 15, 2005 04:58PM
good point. i'm not inclined to worry too much about who does and does not get in, but you're absolutely right that they look like very likely candidates.
March 15, 2005 06:17PM
All in all, it's been a pretty good list over the years. Doesn't seem to be too much emphasis on politics.
When I hear either 'new wave' or 'CBGB's' or 'New York 76-77' I immediately think of Blondie. There's room for another hall of fame for just NYC/NJ.
Lydon's not the contrary hell-raiser he once was. Sure would get TV ratings. Or would it? Do the kids know who he is?
ira
March 16, 2005 12:53AM
the rock and roll hall of fame certainly ain't about "the kids"
Re: Rock Hall of shame
March 16, 2005 01:12AM
as for no politics, well...

i'm doing this fast so excuse inaccuracies, but it's well known that the wenner/wexler axis is importanat and if you see the board member list several are still connected to music companies and hence back catalogues.

i actually know chrissy and she does NOT belong in:

richard thompson/fairport/denny
l cohen
iggy
chilton
eno
capt beef
pistols/pil
soft machine/wyatt
pere ubu/david thomas
jam/weller

did gram get a nod coz of byrds? ok.

ohhh
and put greg shaw, john peel, meltzer, bangs, paul williams, and IR in and kick that asswipe billy joel to the curb.

NP
seger's mongrel
Les Lutins
The Best of Lou Christie
pale saints comforts

now reading
heylin's new bpook on the Velvets
Re: Rock Hall of Clay
March 16, 2005 07:19PM
The wenner/wexler axis is industry wide, for sure.
NYC needs one - somewhere on the Lower East side.
LA's could be a sprawling half-empty warehouse mostly composed of corporate ads, repeating exhibits and artifacts procured on tour.
Canada's can be a rental storage unit.
If Cleveland is the heart of rock-n-roll, where is the brain?

NR - Henry Miller
NP:
The Fall - grotesque (after the gramme)

Knock Knock
Who's There
Little Boy Blue
Little Boy Blue Who?

Post Edited (04-09-07 17:13)
Re: Rock Hall of Pajamas
March 16, 2005 07:19PM
Michael Jackson.
Re: Rock Hall of Mananas
March 16, 2005 09:16PM
I don't know if Gram Parsons is in because of the Byrds or not - I think they pick specific line-ups to enshrine. So Doug Yule isn't in with the Velvets, nor is Signe Anderson in for Jefferson Airplane. Don't know if CJ Ramone or Terry Chimes show up, either.

I could be wrong. It's been ten years since I've been there. But I think the Byrds line-up that's in is McGuinn-Hillman-Crosby-Clark-Clark. The Parsons line-up is as important as the original, but they didn't have the big hits that turn up on every tv show about the 60s.

By the way, does anyone know if the museum's section of publications even has a copy of TP, or is it all Rolling Stone and maybe a couple of issues of Crawdaddy?

NP: The Conet Project Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations
NR: A ton of old XMen comics that fell out of my closet
March 20, 2005 08:00PM
Actually, Terry Chimes got up on stage at the Clash's induction, along with Mick, Paul, and Lucinda Strummer. From what I gathered, Topper's health wouldn't allow him to make the trip. (Terry did mention Topper's vital role in the band, during his speech.)

I'm not sure that specific line-ups, per se, get inducted. It's probably left up to the band members themselves, who gets to be onstage for the honor and who doesn't. When AC/DC was inducted, Brian Johnson was onstage, of course, and so were two of Bon Scott's nephews, to accept the award on their late, dissolute uncle's behalf. Bruce Thomas was onstage as one of The Attractions, even though he and Elvis basically hate each other. (Bruce didn't perform with Elvis that night, though. Elvis had told a reporter, "I only work with professional musicians.")

Personally, I hope Van Halen is inducted soon. I'd love to see Roth and Hagar both on stage for the induction, and see how uncomfortable the other three get around both of them.
March 21, 2005 03:37PM
But if you make a hall of fame that worships just the rockin' itself, you end up with....Hard Rock Cafes.
March 22, 2005 04:53AM
I don't want a hall of fame at all, Paganizer. It seems stiff and boring and everything that is not rock 'n roll. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way.
March 24, 2005 01:54PM
I don't care about The Hard Rock Cafe or The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Paganizer. Neither one mean anything to me. I hate putting the music I love in a box as in such boring, conventional things as those two useless would-be institutions.

Post Edited (03-24-05 09:56)
Re: Rock Hall of Dismay
March 16, 2005 10:41PM
mmmmm....

i got this crazy guy who (NOT Brad Reno in this case!) sends me trade for my dinosaurs like dylan, kinks, pretty things (Kids!!); they are for the most part shoe gazing things, like aisler's set, henry's dress, january, monoland, black tambourine (!!), auburn lull, but the band i like the most are the pale saints--The Comforts of Madness and In Ribbons. also, i was just re-reading Miller's Cancer the other day: this is not the time nor arena--and i do think he's dated since my college-daze love [not as much as camus and hesse though]-- but i loved a lot of it, and i think with raymond chandler that for second-tiered novelists they have the finest sense of mise en scene description. in miller's case of course paris and the big sur become forever miller's paris and big sur. this being (badly) said, and hurriedly, Miller is also, along with Durrell, one of the great travel writers of last century. His book on Greece is great!

NP
The Nils
Josefus
Sticky Fingers

Post Edited (03-16-05 22:06)
Re: Rock Hall of Hijacked Threads
March 17, 2005 04:12PM
Colussus is, in fact, the one. True enough about Camus and Hesse though I always thought Hesse was a little derived (both essential reading though).
So I was wandering around Paris and saw a sign outside a cafe that announced (in French) a 'Henry Miller' group (he had once patronized the cafe). I walk in and ask about it. I'm hustled to a room upstairs and presented as an American who has come to 'participate' in their discussion. I knew about 10 phrases in French and there I stood with a dozen French stoners staring at me.
"Uhhh...Bon Jour?"

Post Edited (04-09-07 17:14)
March 19, 2005 06:02PM
to quote the Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments...

bombs away on the rock 'n roll hall of fame!!!
March 21, 2005 03:34AM
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is bullshit. A bunch of old rockers in tuxedos, giving boring speeches filled with syrupy platitudes is hardly anything close to rocking. The greatness of the music is in the music itself, not the boring get togethers that are more appropriate for sales professionals congratulating each other for meeting their sales projections for the year. I hate the selective nature of it. There are so many great artists who will never be inducted into that institution, or even mentioned, that the whole thing is a sham.
March 21, 2005 08:02PM
I don't wanna see the liver of David Crosby ...

I don't wanna see Eric Clapton's dead baby ...

G.G. Allin is eligible this year.
March 24, 2005 04:20AM
Exactly, jglauner. Worship is for dopes.

Post Edited (03-24-05 00:22)
March 24, 2005 08:39PM
Yeah, GG, Jayne County and Skafish were all robbed again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login