Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 God Help the Girl
Author: breno 
Date:   11-09-17 01:46

Stuart Murdoch's God Help the Girl film has been out for several years now, but I don't think it's ever been discussed here. Anyone else seen it?

I've watched it a couple of times in the last two years and have liked it for the most part, though I'm not sure Murdoch stuck the ending. It basically follows the same template as John Carney movies - lovable scamps of variable temperaments coalesce into a surprisingly competent band in record time with sundry emotional conflicts along the way - though Murdoch also nods towards traditional musicals by having characters burst into song at any time, while the songs in Carney movies are always performances as part of the story. (No magical realism for Carney, beyond Mark Ruffalo having visions in Begin Again.)

Anyhow, track it down if you like Belle and Sebastian, John Carney movies or Gilly from Game of Thrones. It's a pleasant enough couple of hours.

Post Edited (11-09-17 01:48)

Reply To This Message

Re: God Help the Girl
Author: MrFab 
Date:   11-09-17 11:12

A movie thread! That reminds me, I've been meaning to mention the Morrissey biopic here "England is Mine." Haven't seen it...and probably won't. It's a look at young Steven before the Smiths with almost no music, no discussion of sexuality (or lack of), just lots of adolescent whining and moping. I read two reviews that both used the expression "heaven knows I'm miserable now."

Reply To This Message

Re: God Help the Girl
Author: breno 
Date:   11-09-17 14:18

I was going to watch the Morrissey biopic, but Morrissey called my internet company and cancelled my account at the last minute right before the streaming began. He felt I had the thermostat in my house set at the wrong temperature for proper viewing of the film.

Actually, a couple of weeks ago I DID win the five album vinyl reissue of The Queen Is Dead from my local record emporium. I haven't opened it yet and have no idea what is actually on the other four albums in the box. I'm keeping it in reserve in case I draw my niece's name for Christmas this year.

It came with a bunch of buttons and a Smiths pillow case, which I have no clue what I'm going to do with. I guess store it away for a few years and see if someone someday wants to buy it on eBay.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org