Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 The Pretenders on Austin City Limits
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   10-12-17 13:10

I can't remember if I ever mentioned that we taped the Pretenders back in March. Anyway, the show airs this Saturday (or whenever ACL airs in your market).

Details.

Chrissie Hynde's voice sounds exactly the same as it did thirty years ago.

Reply To This Message

Re: The Pretenders on Austin City Limits
Author: MrFab 
Date:   10-16-17 18:56

Its funny how i really loved their 1st album, and to a lesser extent their 2nd, and then i couldn't care less about them. Didn't hate them, more like utter indifference. None of the singles grabbed me i guess, so i never checked out the albums. But i did revist their debut recently for the first time in...decades? and loved it. If this episode reruns, I'll try and catch it.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   10-17-17 08:11

Right there with you Mr Fab. Liked the debut. Bought the US EP of the first two singles from "Pretenders II." Stopped right there. The other material I heard on the second LP suggested that I had all I needed. Other Pretenders material didn't make an impression. I traded in the first LP during the Great Vinyl Purge and didn't bother getting a CD of it until 2006-7. Still liked it.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-17-17 08:31

You can watch it online here.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   10-17-17 09:51

Watched it the other night. I was impressed. I was never a huge fan, but I thought they put on a jolly good live show.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-17-17 10:15

Like the episode, the full set was about 95% 80s classics, with very little new material. I was surprised by both how committed Hynde seems to be to the songs (instead of being sick of them) and how good her voice sounded.

Reply To This Message

Author: nosepail 
Date:   10-29-17 20:28

I heard Chrissie went ballistic on stage the other night - tirade filled with C*** words, calling out audience members, storming off the stage, the full monte... What the heck was that about?

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   10-30-17 11:11

Michael, did she do the bit where she receives a note from "someone in the audience," reads it aloud -- "Please play 'Precious'" -- and then crumples it and tosses it away, only to play "Precious" at the end of the set? She did that at the last couple of Pretenders gigs I saw.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-30-17 11:34

I don't remember that happening, but it was the beginning of the season, which is like a million years ago for me.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   10-30-17 12:46

Nosepail - here it is.

Summary - she doesn't like people taking pictures

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org