Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 last night's King Crimson show in Austin
Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   10-20-17 11:43

It turned out to be very different than the "friends and family" dress rehearsal they did the night before.

Rather than go into all the details here, I humbly refer you to my piece published on the Austin Chronicle's website here. Not bad considering I thought I was going just to enjoy the show, until my editor (who was my +1) turned to me literally right before it started and said, "You're covering this, right?"

Bill Rieflin was present, but did not perform. According to Tony Levin's online tour diary, he is "unable to join this leg of the tour" and used the dress rehearsal to teach a guy named Chris Gibson the keyboard parts. There were rumors going round the audience that Rieflin is ill, possibly with cancer. Devlin, anything about that in the Seattle music buzz?

Reply To This Message

Re: last night's King Crimson show in Austin
Author: Delvin 
Date:   10-20-17 11:57

I haven't heard any talk regarding Rieflin's health. He was in fine form the last time I saw him play, but that was four years ago. He certainly sounds great on drums in Filthy Friends.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   10-20-17 12:03

Sa-weet. I commented on the review. I don't get too excited about too many musical things in advance, but this tour is one of them.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-20-17 12:33

Yep, I saw that. Thanks! Most of the comments I get are about what a know-nothing I am. Remind me to tell you about my Cure concert review someday.

You wanted to know about merch. They have about eight different T-shirts. I was very tempted to take the one with the screaming Court face, but instead I got the "table of the elements" shirt, since it's the only one that's not an album cover.

As far as albums go, they had Live in Toronto, a special tour edition of Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind with two DVDs as well as the usual Blu-ray qnd three CDs (good thing, too, since our Blu-ray player crapped out last week), and the brand-new Live in Chicago, which isn't out in stores for another few weeks. They also have the Heroes EP, which the merch guy threw in with a hearty, British accented "And here's a tour EP on us!" because I bought all of the above, plus a shirt (spending way more than I usually spend at shows). They also have a tour program, which I didn't get, and a free "best of" sampler for Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto's side band Stick Men. I think I saw a 10-inch vinyl EP as well, but I didn't look that closely.

I will say this, though: if you want merch, get there a bit early. The merch line was crazy when I got there 45 minutes before the show, though it moved surprisingly quickly. But I wouldn't try to do it during intermission. There's always afterward, but the venue we were in was trying to shoo everyone out. Plus it was a 3 1/2 hour show (two full sets with a 20-minute intermission, plus encore) and I, for one, was exhausted. (Never mind that I was up until 2 a.m. working on the piece.) So keep that in mind, especially if it's a worknight. I'm a bit groggy at the office this morning.

Bass Concert Hall usually host touring Broadway shows, jazz luminaries and orchestras. I've seen Philip Glass and Leonard Cohen there as well. It was the perfect venue for Crimson. Good sound and they're not the most demonstrative band, preferring to let the music do the talking, so it seemed appropriate.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-20-17 12:43

By the way, I unsurprisingly saw several people I knew at the show, from all walks of music life: punk rockers, metalheads, avant-gardists, one of our most famous DJs who helped invent the local triple-A station and now is the afternoon drive-time DJ on our local NPR station. Indeed, he turned out to be the hardest of the hardcore when it came to their catalog. (My editor and I ended up sitting next to him just by coincidence.) Right before the show, he told us how much he loves what he calls the red. blue and yellow trilogy. So when Crimson played "Indiscipline," I looked over at him, and he just gave me a thumbs-up with a beatific smile on his face.

There were a lot of black metal T-shirts there last night as well. Headbangers love them some KC, and when Fripp digs into "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" and "Easy Money," it's easy to hear why.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-20-17 12:56

Thanks so much for the merch report. Yeah, they are sure big on the Chicago show [which is still warm], so I may opt for that as well as the Radical Action/DVD edition. At least one shirt and definitely the program [graphic designer in me] so yeah, I guess the $100 I budgeted will fly away. Hopefully the merch guy will give me a gratis "Heroes" EP otherwise I will have to be buying that too. Prices similar to the online store [i.e. fair and modest - $20 pgm, $17 Chicago CD, $35 Radical]?

I hope they actually play "Heroes" next Thursday as it's one of my all time fave Fripp jams [Bowie too, for that matter]. On the other hand… who expected "Exposure" material?!

My Crim preference? I love it all… except for "Islands." But having seen them in '96, '01, and '03 it was all heavy on the Belew years, so the older [and newer] material is what has me excited. I saw Belew's Power Trio a few months back and they managed great versions of Belew KC canon all on their lonesome, so that itch has been effectively scratched. Perhaps my all time fave after "Schizoid" is "The Great Deceiver" but that's not too likely... It has only been played on the 1974 tour.

Post Edited (10-20-17 13:02)

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-20-17 13:16

Chicago and Toronto were both $20, the shirt $30. The tour edition of Radical was $50. That's pretty expensive, admittedly, but I guess with six disks it's less than ten bucks a disk. I'm sure if you drop $100, they'll throw the Heroes EP in.

Chicago, by the way, comes in one of those CD-sized hardback book covers. I dig those.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-20-17 14:50

The Tour Edition [2xDVD] of "Radical" is hard to come by for under $66 online so yes, that's a good price. I'm just glad they still have it for tour merch. The Blu-Ray edition is ~$35 but Blu-Ray does me no good. Looks like I get: Radical tour edition, T-shirt, program. I'd also like the "Heroes" EP and "Chicago" so off budget we boldly go.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-20-17 15:31

I managed to stay under budget, but that's only because I forced myself to buy only one shirt.

Though if they'd have had the Steven Wilson-mixed deluxed reissues of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair, I'd've broken out the credit card.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   10-27-17 14:49

guys, have you been following Tony Levin's tour diary? Are you visible in the crowd shots? I'll be seeing them this Sunday - looking forward to it.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-27-17 17:11

I am indeed in the Austin crowd shot, though I can be better seen in Fripp's shot.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-28-17 09:30

Prithee, Mr. Toland. Where does one see Fripp's photos of the Austin event? I know he posts many pix to his diary on DGMlive but that is a month in arrears. It suggests that I am missing something.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-28-17 15:40

Good question, actually. A friend posted it to my Facebook page, so I guess it's Fripp's FB page.

Reply To This Message

Author: Heff 
Date:   10-30-17 13:03

Robert Fripp posts (quite a lot) on his facebook page. The pictures are there.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-30-17 14:19

Eh. FB. No wonder I didn't know about it. I guess it'll stay that way, but thanks for clearing that up.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-30-17 14:46

I thought maybe I'd find the post and post a direct link, but Heff is correct - Fripp posts a hell of a lot on his page and I can't find it. (I thought it might be on my page due to my being linked to it by a friend, but I guess not. I confess to still not quite knowing how FB works.) Presumably it'll pop up on the DGM website eventually.

My buddy (and editor) who attended the show with me claims we're easy to spot in Tony Levin's Austin photo, but while I can see him (his white man's 'fro making him very easy to pick out in a crowd), I'm obscured by the guy in front of me.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org