Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Setlist from last night (23/24 October)
Author: Delvin 
Date:   10-24-17 03:19

"Here It Goes Again" - OK Go
"Heyday" - The Sound
"I Get By" - Liam Gallagher
"Amsterdam" - Nothing But Thieves

"The Wherewithal" - The Tragically Hip (R.I.P. Gord Downie)
"Cemetery Sideroad" - The Tragically Hip (likewise)
"Gonna Have a Good Time" - The Easybeats (R.I.P. George Young)
"Media Man" - Flash & the Pan (what I said)

"Ça Plane Pour Moi" - Plastic Bertrand
"Moving to New York" - The Wombats
"Stop" - Gasolin' (for singer/guitarist Kim Larsen's birthday)
"Watch That Man" - David Bowie

"Breathing Underwater" - Metric
"Jealous" - Robert Palmer
"Away from Home" - Klark Kent (just for you, Monk!)
"Century City" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

"Yachting Type" - Yachts
"Simple Type" - Wicked Lester
"Dangerous Type" - The Cars

"The Brain Center at Whipples" - Melvins (for drummer Dale Crover's birthday)
"The Elephant Pig" - The Warm Guns
"Time Coast" - Robyn Hitchcock
"King of the Kerb" - Echobelly
"The Darkness" - The Sounds

"Mr Robinson's Quango" - Blur
"Mr Marx's Table" - Wire
"Mr B's Ballroom" - Devo

"The Cutter" - Echo & the Bunnymen
"Only Shallow" - My Bloody Valentine (for bassist Deb Googe's birthday)
"Tomorrow" - Silverchair (for drummer Ben Gillies' birthday)
"Can You Hear the Music" - The Rolling Stones (for Bill Wyman's birthday)

Reply To This Message

Re: Setlist from last night (23/24 October)
Author: mats84 
Date:   10-25-17 06:37

Possibly the only time Wicked Lester and Devo have been on the same setlist!?! :)

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   10-25-17 07:58

Appreciate the Klark Kent of course, but that "Type" set was brain melting. The Yachts [huzzah], The Cars… and Wicked Lester in between…??!! As lame as Kiss were, were Wicked Lester even more amateurish,, or perhaps was it the "buried treasure" in the Kiss Kanon®? Can anyone who has actually heard Wicked Lester shed any light?

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   10-25-17 10:21

"Can anyone who has actually heard Wicked Lester shed any light?"

Monk,

you can hear for yourself by listening to replays of Delvin's shows on the station's website, using the replay button: http://www.kser.org/

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   10-26-17 16:29

This setlist contains no Be Bop Deluxe or John Foxx. I'm protesting. On the other hand, it also includes no Jackson Browne, so I suppose congratulations are in order.

[What I really mean is, keep up the good work. Shows like yours are only places on the dial where much of this music is played.You are to be commended, my friend.]

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-27-17 01:21

> As lame as Kiss were, were Wicked Lester even more amateurish,, or perhaps was it the
> "buried treasure" in the Kiss Kanon®? Can anyone who has actually heard Wicked Lester
> shed any light?

A little history: Wicked Lester was the band that Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley were in before they started Kiss (back when they still were known as Gene Klein and Stanley Eisen). The band also included Gene's high-school friend Stephen Coronel. When Epic heard their demo, they offered to sign Wicked Lester on the condition that they replace Coronel with a better lead guitarist. Steve got the boot, but Kiss later recorded two songs that Steve had co-written with Gene. Anyway, the band (with Gene and Paul) recorded a full album, but upon hearing the finished product, Epic refused to release it. The tapes got buried in Epic's vaults, and shortly after that, Gene and Paul quit the band. The remaining members of Wicked Lester tried to recruit replacements and soldier on, with Epic's continued support, but fell apart within a few months. A few years later, after Kiss hit it big, Simmons and Stanley bought the master tapes back from Epic, and apart from a few tracks they added to the Kiss box set, have sat on those tapes ever since.

As someone who has a bootleg of the Wicked Lester album, I can vouch for the assessment that Simmons and Stanley have made over the years: the band had no real focus or unified direction. From track to track, they'd end up sounding like any number of then-popular acts you could name, as if they were trying on styles -- or more likely, throwing them against the wall to see what'd stick. About half the album's songs came from Simmons and Stanley (plus Coronel's contribution); the rest is covers, mostly from Brill Building songwriters, along with a cover of the Hollies' "We Want to Shout It Out Loud." Two of the album's songs, "She" and "Love Her All I Can," showed up in new versions on Kiss' third album, Dressed to Kill, and boy, the differences are startling. Lester's version of "Love Her All I Can" is an overheated rocker, whose rhythm sounds forced, and their rendition of "She" even includes a flute, making it sound like some warped Jethro Tull reject.

The song I chose to play last Monday, "Simple Type," actually is pretty good IMO. (I sure didn't add it for camp value.) It has a sense of drive, with no oddball instrumentation to gum things up. Gene and Paul trade off lead vocals in a way that's pretty cool.

But overall? Nope, no buried treasure here. An indispensable piece of history for Kiss fanatics, sure ... but it's clear that Epic knew a crappy album when they heard it.

Post Edited (10-27-17 16:56)

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-27-17 01:25

And thank you for the very kind words, Zoo.

My Halloween show next week will be an all-covers installment. Any requests?

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   10-27-17 17:19

As an either/or I defer to the esteemed DJ to choose between these two:

I'll predictably request the 'Mats version of Cruella De Vil......and maybe less predictably ........Halloween by the Dead Kennedys.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org