Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 Kate Bush TP entry
Author: zoo 
Date:   10-10-17 22:17

I was reading the Kate Bush entry on this website (after listening to The Dreaming yesterday). It states that the album was "perhaps her first really extraordinary album." This implies to me that there were other "extraordinary" albums that followed. But as I kept reading, the reviews didn't seem too enthusiastic about the others. Certainly The Dreaming isn't her only extraordinary album, is it?

So, I turn to all of you...what else is special in her catalog? If I really think about it, The Dreaming and Hounds of Love are really the only albums I would bother listening to, and perhaps the second disc of Aerial. Why, then, is she so revered? If that's the best she has to offer, that's not that much for the past 40 yrs. Were those two albums so extraordinary that it's bought her a pass for anything else she's done?

Reply To This Message

Re: Kate Bush TP entry
Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   10-10-17 22:46

As a Kate Bush fan, I enjoyed her formative years when she was playful, experimental and imaginative. I would call her albums The Kick Inside, Lionheart and Never For Ever extraordinary too.

Reply To This Message

Author: MrFab 
Date:   10-11-17 00:39

Def agree that "Hounds of Love" is the other masterpiece, but there's plenty of great tracks found elsewhere. Those early albums have great songs, but the corny arrangements hamper things a bit (shades of Nico's "Chelsea Girls"). If you can get past that, there's undeniable classics on 'em. Just wish they sounded like "Dreaming" or "Hounds."

Post "Hounds," "The Sensual World" is uneven, but the fistful of great tunes that are on it are spectacular. "The Red SHoes" is awful, but her comeback albums are, like Bowie's '90s work, long on ambition and integrity, which earned her respect, even if they're short on tunes.

Post Edited (10-11-17 00:42)

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   10-11-17 10:41

I am a completely lapsed Kate Bush fan. I'd go as far as saying that I can't stand Kate Bush now. I recalled seeing her perform on SNL once in 1978, and since that performance was never repeated [she retained the rights to it] I never saw/heard her for four years [an eternity to a teenager], but she would pop up in my mind only to be forgotten again.

In 1982 "The Dreaming" was the first one I purchased and it hit like a ton of bricks. I felt like a "female peter gabriel" thing was going on back when peter gabriel was indeed, a major, major thing. I quickly bought the others. "The Kick Inside" was an astonishing album of songs written by a young girl, but the follow up, "Lionheart" seemed to be treading British Music Hall water. "Never For Ever" hinted at what was to come, but remained nowhere near as great as "The Dreaming."

When "The Hounds Of Love" came out it felt like the three years was twice as long a wait, but I eagerly lapped it up. I thought it was great, and it even got her some US airplay at the time. I bought "The Single File" 7" boxed set for the single A/B sides. Kate Bush was a core collection artist for me until 1989 and "The Sensual World" bored me to tears. Still, when "This Woman's Work" boxed set came out in 1990 with all of her albums and rarities, I had to have it. In a Japanese copy, no less.

In 1993 I never bought "The Red Shoes." The singles from it were so dire, I passed. A friend let me see the "Red Shoes" film Bush made and I thought the title track sounded promising, so I bought a cheap copy for a dollar or two at a flea market. Listened twice and flipped it. Have never listened to any further Kate Bush.

From 1990-2017, I maybe listened to that ¥160,000 boxed set maybe 5-6 times, since it was "off rack" due to size. Found that I really didn't miss Kate Bush, and when her admiration of the current PM of the UK surfaced [to me] recently, it was a pretty easy decision to sell that thing off forthwith! Kate Bush is now completely dead to me. Sadly, the booklets in the box had mildewed pretty badly shaving a few hundred off of my resale price! The horror of living in Florida came home to roost, there. It's what I got for trying to not be a slave to air conditioning and opening the windows from time to time. I'd say that 1/3 of my CD booklets have mildew stains. There were some very valuable CDs afflicted, too.

Having said all of that, "The Dreaming" remains an astonishing album, and I will be purchasing another copy of it one day.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Post Edited (10-11-17 10:53)

Reply To This Message

Author: hoip chiggs 
Date:   10-12-17 13:24

My Kate Bush CDs I've moved to the closet and replaced that section with Katy Perry CDs.

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org