Trouser Press

Back to: HomeReviewsWhat's New

New Topic  |  Go to Top  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Log In   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 
 RIP Tom Petty
Author: HollowbodyKay 
Date:   10-02-17 16:16

Rest in peace.

First music I ever bought with my own money was a
couple of Tom Petty 45 rpm singles.

I was just a kid.

Reply To This Message

Re: RIP Tom Petty
Author: MrFab 
Date:   10-02-17 16:45

Very surprising considering how active he's been lately. Wonder what killed him..

Was never a fan, but liked the occasional odd Petty tune, e.g. the nicely psychedelisized "Dont Come around Here No More" (complete with sitar-y sounds). And all us Vals dug "Free Fallin" (did you know that song was about the San Fernando Valley? Dude, totally!) tho I did always find it distractingly slow. Wonder if anyone did a more speedy cover of it..

Reply To This Message

Author: breno 
Date:   10-02-17 16:47

This sucks beyond all reason.

I think Tom Petty was probably as close to a universally liked rock star as one could find in the last few decades. Classic rockers liked him. People who barely listened to music liked him. Rock snobs had no real issue with him. He sold tons of records but never felt like he sold out.

I was never a Petty completist, but I always knew that if I was at a record store itching to spend money and there wasn't anything new out that I wanted, if there was a used copy of a Petty album that I didn't have yet, I could grab that and there was a better than 95% chance I was going to like it.

Not sure who else could compete with him in that regard. Neil Young, maybe, but I know a lot of people for whom Young's voice is a deal breaker. Same with Dylan. There are plenty of people who claim to hate the Beatles. I don't know that I ever met anyone who claimed to hate Tom Petty.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-02-17 16:47

Quote:

Wonder what killed him..

Massive heart attack.

Reply To This Message

Author: Delvin 
Date:   10-02-17 16:51

Holy moley, this one's a shocker ...

Petty was one of the artists who became dear to me back in high school, when I was finding my musical feet and separating the wheat from the chaff. His creativity wasn't of the unusual, daring variety, like most of the other bands I went nuts for at that time. But it was a definite stand-out from the fake-rock that ruled the airwaves. And he soon showed himself to be not only a reliable musician, but a principled one. Rest in peace, Tom, and thank you for all the good music.

Reply To This Message

Author: mats84 
Date:   10-02-17 16:53

Not a real big fan honestly but he was one of my first concerts - maybe my 2nd show or 3rd - with Split Enz opening

RIP

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-02-17 16:57

> I don't know that I ever met anyone who claimed to hate Tom Petty.

The closest I can name is a friend of mine, who commented on Tom's upcoming show at Red Rocks, with Joe Walsh opening: "Oh boy, the two worst singers in classic rock on the same bill!"

I thought that was kinda harsh.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-02-17 18:23

Wish fulfillment. Sometimes it happens.

Here's hoping that this is one of those times.

:::keeping fingers crossed:::

Reply To This Message

Author: Michael Toland 
Date:   10-02-17 18:29

Not a huge fan, but he certainly has a bunch of songs I always liked: "Wildflowers," "Refugee," "Don't Come Around Here No More," "Rebels," "The Waiting," "Free Fallin'"...and especially "Southern Accents." That's a masterful song.

He was a rock & roll true believer in a way they don't seem to make 'em anymore. May he rest in peace.

Reply To This Message

Author: jothoma 
Date:   10-02-17 19:14

He just wrapped up a 50 date tour with the Heartbreakers at the Hollywood Bowl last week with three sold out shows there. He stated in an interview recently that this was the last big tour he would ever do. He has a 4 year old granddaughter and he wanted to spend his time with her and not on the road. So sad.

Reply To This Message

Author: Post-Punk Monk 
Date:   10-03-17 08:07

The first Tom Petty song I heard on FM Rock, as I was listening to at the time, was the atypically urgent "I Need To Know." Hearing that, I could almost understand the Tom Petty = New Wave thoughts which were briefly floated at the time. Everything that followed that was much more laid back, so I was always kind of disappointed in Petty while never disliking anything in particular. No matter how much it got overplayed on MTV. So Breno, you're absolutely right. No wait! There's that duet with the dreaded Stevie Nicks to consider!

When he helped form The Traveling Wilburys I actually had some Petty music in the Record Cell. He certainly had a long and fruitful career that most should look to as an inspiration. He never seemed bogus and seemed to be a straight shooting guy.

And for the record, I don't hate The Beatles. They just bore me.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-03-17 08:12

Quote:

:::keeping fingers crossed:::

C'mon news media! Don't do me like that!

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-03-17 10:09

The Traveling Wilburys are the only band whose members all have been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame individually, without the band itself ever even being nominated.

(Not suggesting that anyone should start a petition, mind you ...)

Reply To This Message

Author: Philippe 
Date:   10-03-17 10:17

Damn the Torpedoes was a damn fine album, and one that both the classic rock and new wave crowd could enjoy back around 1980. You have to respect someone who kept doing his thing for over thirty years after that breakthrough.

RIP

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-03-17 10:36

Almost nothing that Tom came up with was much of a surprise, after Damn the Torpedoes. Sure, The Traveling Wilburys and Full Moon Fever did surprise people by being such big hits, ten years after his breakthrough. But he didn't exactly branch out on any of his albums. He didn't explore a lot of different styles, or break any new ground. He just stuck to what he knew best, and what worked well for him, for forty years.

Yet you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who points to any of Tom's albums as a low point, or a shark-jumping moment ... or even as a place where he's treading water. (Okay, perhaps that duet with Stevie Nicks that Monk mentioned ... but their duet on "Insider" made up for it, IMO.) His last two studio albums with the Heartbreakers, Mojo and Infinite Eye, suggested he was finding just as much inspiration as ever in that same deep well.

Reply To This Message

Date:   10-03-17 11:36

Quote:

or even as a place where he's treading water.

Over the last few years, he threw out challenges to himself just to avoid that. He went the one man band route on Highway Companion, and played all the instruments himself (with some minor overdubs by Mike Campbell and Jeff Lynne), while Mojo was the first album he and the Heartbreakers ever recorded live in the studio. He reactivated Mudcrutch just to get a different dynamic than he had with the Heartbreakers (and also to earn some money for his buddies he started out with, as he was a good guy).

So he was definitely trying to challenge himself and not let himself coast.

Reply To This Message

Author: zoo 
Date:   10-03-17 12:24

I was never a "fan," meaning I never purposely sought out his music, but if you listened to rock radio in the '80s and watched MTV, you couldn't escape Petty's music. So, when he played a "big star returns to his home town" concert in Gainesville, FL in '93 or so, it didn't take too much arm twisting to get me to go when my friend told me he had an extra ticket. (I was in college there at the time, and the arena was across the street from my apartment, so it took very little effort, I must admit.)

The place was packed, and he and the band delivered the goods. Mike Campbell was especially good on guitar. Petty was touring behind his successful Wildflowers album, so he was at a peak of popularity. It was a great evening...I thoroughly enjoyed myself and knew just about every song he played. But as great as it was, I went back to being more-or-less uninterested in seeking out his music. I suppose in my mind it was "there" and always would be if I ever wanted to explore deeper than the hits. But I never did, and now the man is gone. Will I care to explore deeper? Probably not...but all this thought about him has me thinking of songs I haven't heard in years that I'd like to hear again..."Woman in Love" and "You Got Lucky" come immediately to mind.

RIP

Reply To This Message
 Threaded View   Newer Topic  |  Older Topic 

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.

phorum.org